Author Topic: installation of peppermint on a usb (solved)  (Read 730 times)

Offline essegi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
installation of peppermint on a usb (solved)
« on: January 03, 2020, 08:07:04 am »
Hi everyone. I am having problems in installing PP10 on a USB pendrive. I tried flashing the verified iso  with Rufus. It works as long as you do not ask for persistence. By setting the persistence at 4 Gb (usb 16 Gb 3.1)  the boot from win 10 fails. I also tried to burn the iso to a DVD and then to do a proper install on Usb. No way. I created two partitions on the usb:
sdc1 formatted in fat32, 250 Mb
sdc2  with ext4 (mount /), but I also made many attempts with an only partition on sdc ext4 /
DVD and Pendrive live work fine, so it is not about the settings of the bios. Actually,   chroot rescue scan on mx linux  outputs this error

Visiting distro Peppermint_Ten_
Directory: /mnt/chroot-rescue-scan/sdc2  Device: sdc2
Use the exit command or <ctrl>-d to return to main menu
===============================================================================
mount: /mnt/chroot-rescue-scan/sdc2/boot/efi: can't find UUID="1A56-F1FA".

I would be very grateful for a little help. I like PP and I would like to have a portable and customizable version of the system.
Peace
sal
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:21:10 pm by essegi »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: installation of peppermint on a usb
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:57 am »
Hi essegl,

Have you tried installing to a SanDisk Cruzer Glide (or BestBuy's version of it) by any chance?  This is kinda a hit or miss process, but I've had good luck installing Peppermint 10 to a SanDisk (BestBuy) flash drive.

Also, back in my Windows Vista days, I used to install Peppermint to a flash drive through UNetbootin -- with  as much added persistence as permitted.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:20:12 pm »
Hi essegl, I just did this last night, I was trying to post a photo of my scandisk partition table but imgur doesn't want to work for me. At any rate, when you make your fat32 partition, make it a little bigger. maybe 500mb, and when you select where to install the bootloader, choose the fat32 partition and make sure that partition has the boot flag. edited: the esp flag should also be next to the boot flag. If it isn't, you don't have a GPT partition table. My example below wouldn't boot today, I had to change everything on the usb stick and make it a GPT partition table.

Let's see if this works

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:19:30 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline essegi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 05:21:38 am »
Hi guys,
thank you for your interest. I tried to combine what alynur and perknh suggested. I used a san disk 16 gb and partitioned it as follows:
new gpt partition
sdc1: fat32 - 500 Mb - boot, esp (bootloader here at the moment of installation)
sdc2: ext 4 - Point of mount (/)
The Usb ist not recognized. But It could depend on the fact that my bios ist in legacy mode. I will try to switch it to Uefi mode and let you know.
I just wanted to attach some picture that I have made of the partition and installation process, however I do not see how to attach them. Will you please tell me also how to attach a picture.
Thank you
sal

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:27:40 am by essegi »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:43:38 am »
Hi essegi.  Hang in here with this project;  you'll get there!

First of all make sure you're booting from a USB.  You'll probably need to insert the flash drive with Peppermint into a USB port, then reboot your computer while tapping onto one of your top F keys in order to boot from a USB.  On my computer (a Toshiba Satellite) I tap my F 12 key, but, on other computers it could be an F 10, or F 4, or some other F key.

I would also say, essegi, the first few times around, let Peppermint format and partition your flash drive.  I now let Peppermint do all the formatting and partitioning for me when I install Peppermint to a flash drive, but I now use 32 or 64 GB flash drives too.  ;)

As for posting images in the forum, open an Imgur account , then move the image you want to share to there, then insert the image back here at Peppermint by clicking onto our command box that says Insert Image (above, middle row, far left side, below the B).  You place the link in the space between the brackets of two function command boxes.  Then the image will be posted back here to the forum!

Good luck, essegi.  Once you get to experience Peppermint on flash drive, there's no turning back.  I'm sure you're going to love it! :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline essegi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 07:48:28 am »
Hi perknh. Thank you for  your support.

1) I actually boot from a Peppermint 10 usb, created with Rufus. I use acer travelmate with win 10 legacy, so F2 for bios and F10  for saving and booting. No problem at all. Peppermint works just great. So I try installation on a 16 San Disk usb 3.0 as target usb

This is the partition  that I used

(I hope that the image rendition works!)

If this partition is correct, then I will simply try again on another usb, which I have just formatted at low level with hdguru.

I was also considering the manual adding of persistence according to the following procedure

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6141.0.html

It refers to Peppermint 7. What do you think? Could it be still an option?
Thanks a lot for your attention

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 08:35:36 am »
Hi essegi,

Peppermint 7 is based off of Ubuntu 16.04; therefore it should be fine since it's security supported until April 2021.  Honestly, I can't tell you much about Rufus and persistence.  I know I could easily add persistence when I used uNetbootin.  (I did what you are doing now back when I started here with Peppermint 3 along with uNetbootin, but it's been a while.  ::) ) Also, essegi, if you just do a simple installation to a flash drive, you'll have an entire fully operating OS on a flash drive which will take care of the problem of persistence.

As for Rufus and persistence.  I'm sure PCNetSpec's instructions will work just fine.  I never got into it as deeply as that.  Now I just install Peppermint to a flash drive when needs be.  We have one flash drive going strong on a friend's computer right now that's running Peppermint 10.  The thing works beautifully, and it's been going strong for months.

Peppermint is a terrific distribution to run from a flash drive.  :)

Offline essegi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: installation of peppermint on a usb (solved)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 01:32:22 pm »
Hi,
I solved the problem launching a bootable peppermint 10 respin usb and installing boot repair.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

hier full instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

I launched the boot repair and fixed the boot on my 16Gb target usb. I am enjoying now my new peppermint 10 proper install on it. I still do not understand what went wrong before. The usb target was partitioned according to the above attached table, which seemed to be ok. I repeat: I am working on a acer travelmate win 10 Uefi in Legacy mode and target usb had the usual gpt partition (fat32 500 Mb, esp, boot; ext 4 (/). If anyone has a hint, please let me know. Anyway, It works after the fix and I can only recommend both, Peppermint 10 and boot repair. Thank you very much
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:34:20 pm by essegi »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 01:42:26 pm »
That's terrific news, essegi.  I never heard of Boot-Repair before.  Thanks for sharing that info.  Congratulations!   8)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 11:25:37 pm »
I am working on a acer travelmate win 10 Uefi in Legacy mode and target usb had the usual gpt partition (fat32 500 Mb, esp, boot; ext 4 (/).

If you're in legacy mode but using the partition set-up for UEFI mode, that's probably why it didn't work.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 02:09:46 pm »
Hi essgl, I think the reason it didn't boot was because your target for device for boot loader was sdc1, I think it should have been just sdc.
What was I thinking?

Offline essegi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 02:18:16 pm »
Hi guys,
thanks for your remarks. I made some more experiments and I think your last suggestion are both true. But let me tell you what happened since it can be helpful for beginners. I confirm that peppermint os 10 is working fine on a usb. It was so good that I decided to put it on a 64 Gb via clonezilla. No problems. I did all suggested updates, including the last kernel ( I do not remember the release number; the last one anyway). Now, the usb (without swap) had become so slow that I had to clone again the installation made on the 16 Gb usb. It works. But this fact led to me a thought: maybe  a previous release of peppermint with a lower kernel would have worked better. So I installed with the same method on a different usb stick 16Gb (this time I tried a swap area) peppermint 8 , i.e. ubuntu 16.04 kernel. This time I got this error:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - Not Found 
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi: Not Found   
start_image() returned Not Found 

The partition were right and I could not understand why the usb could not boot. Boot repair could not repair it this time. But I used recommended repairs. Digging into the matter deeper, I found out that the intuitions of murraymint and alynur were founded. The partitions were right, but I discovered that the partition table had the label msdos, and not gpt. I forgot to create at the very beginning a gpt partition table. So the usb was an hybrid, so to say: gpt partition and msdos disklabel. But I was not discouraged:I could take advantage of  the advanced tools of boot repair  and fix the boot to sdc.

https://i.imgur.com/i9tAsqi.png

Now, some final considerations
Peppermint 10 is more attractive than Peppermint 8, but this works on usb much better. I do know if it is depends on the swap. Probably it is just a kernel that suits better to usb proper installation. The system is very snappy and responsive. It is  really worth a try if you are looking for a cloud-based portable linux distro.
Boot repair is a great tool that I can only recommend. It fixes not only minor boot issues, but also more complicated situations.
Thanks again for your attention