Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing Windows 7 after installing PeppermintOS 5  (Read 1604 times)

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
  • Plagued by a GMA500-powered netbook
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32-bit)
Installing Windows 7 after installing PeppermintOS 5
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »
Hi to all,

I have a simple request and trying to find the optimal solution: I have PeppermintOS 5 installed in my Acer Aspire One netbook and I am pretty pleased with that. However, I am going on a trip, where I will need to use Windows 7 for about a week so I need to either drop my netbook and carry my 17-inch Windows laptop with me (which I'd rather not, as it is bulky and heavy) or to find a way to install Windows 7 in my netbook without messing up with my existing PepperimintOS intallation. Even though Windows 7 is not the fastest OS to be used with my netbook, I need to use it for compatibility reasons.

Do you have any guides or tips for installing Windows after the installation of PeppermintOS? Just to clarify that I will install a genuine version of Windows 7, that I had bought in the past but I am not currently using.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies!
Acer Aspire One 751h: 1,3GHz Atom Z520 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, GMA 500 GPU...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Installing Windows 7 after installing PeppermintOS 5
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:42:43 pm »
Hi geoponer, as far as I know it can't be done.  Windows assumes that you only want Windows, (its only natural  you would assume this - right  ???) and formats the whole disk accordingly.  To make a dual boot, you need to back up your Peppermint Five home folder.  Then install Windows first, then Peppermint Five.  Copy back your Peppermint Five home folder.  I guess you could make an image of your Peppermint partition(s) with something like Clonezilla: http://clonezilla.org/.  Install Windows, shrink the Windows partition so that the Peppermint image will fit and flash it back.  You will then need to install the boot loader.  I can't remember where though.  To cut to the chase.  I know no simple way to do this.  :'(  I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:48:55 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
  • Plagued by a GMA500-powered netbook
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32-bit)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:48:22 am »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your prompt response; even though I hoped that there will be an alternative (and easier) solution, I appreciate your detailed guidelines. Unfortunately I did not have the time to try that, as setting up two OSs would be too time consuming and the time before the trip was limited.

I am currently on the trip I mentioned and feel grateful that a colleague of mine offered me his Asus TransformerBook T100 which seems to be fine for the purpose I needed my netbook; on top of that it is even lighter than that and much more responsive!

I will keep your message as a reference, in order to give it a try next time it is needed - thanks again!
Acer Aspire One 751h: 1,3GHz Atom Z520 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, GMA 500 GPU...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:26:58 am »
I'm glad the info clarified things.  Good luck with the dual boot after your trip  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.