Author Topic: (Solved) Setting up buttons for Dell XT2  (Read 491 times)

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin
(Solved) Setting up buttons for Dell XT2
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:46:59 am »
Hello!

I'm relatively new to Linux, and I've decided to give Peppermint OS a try. Before installing this distro, I've tried a couple others, including Manjaro/XFCE, and Linux Mint/Cinnamon.

I'm running Peppermint OS 10 Respin on a Dell XT2 (dual-booting with Windows), and I have one big issue that I can't figure out:

There are two sets of left click/right click buttons on the laptop: 1 set above the touchpad and one below. The one above the keyboard works exactly as you'd expect. However, the set below the keyboard (which I am unfortunately more comfortable with) does not.

If you press either of the buttons below the touchpad a bunch of times, they seem to click. (I.E. Press the left button a bunch, and it eventually left-clicks). 

As a side note, the buttons work correctly in Windows, and they also worked in Linux Mint out-of-the-box. In addition, it seems like the number of times you need to press the button before it works is usually 5, and they don't need to be in quick succession. This is only a guess though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm looking forward to being a member of this community, and thank you!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:28:18 am by esquire »
How do signatures work again?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Setting up buttons for Dell XT2
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 05:50:47 am »
Which version of Mint did they work with ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 06:14:53 am »
I believe it was 19.1, but I don't recall for sure. It was actually a while back that I used it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 08:25:17 am »
Mint 19.1 shipped with the 4.15 kernel series.

it would be interesting to know if the buttons worked properly in Peppermint 9 (which also uses the 4.15 kernel series) .. could you test it with say a LiveUSB ?

You can get the Peppermint 9 ISO here:
https://peppermintos.com/previous/

If it works, maybe we can find a way to get you back to that kernel series.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 09:12:30 am »
I will gladly do so and report back.

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 02:07:59 pm »
Peppermint 9 did indeed fix the issue on the live USB.

I know these are probably stupid questions, but what are the pros/cons of downgrading the kernel? Do you think it's worth trying to just get used to using the other buttons?

And thank you again for helping troubleshoot.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 05:40:06 pm »
Ain't computers weird? I have a Dell EliteBook 2540p and both sets of mouse buttons work fine and I'm running Peppermint 10 Re-Spin. What year is your Dell XT2 as I see they started in 2010, my EliteBook 2540p is 2008. It's strange how things depend upon hardware, yet they're made by the same company. Then again yours is a tablet PC and I am going to have to get myself one, as I want to be able to control Peppermint, with my fingers sliding up and down the screen. I'm sorry it's turned into filth. I always wanted a tablet with Peppermint on it. I'm going to buy one.  ;D 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:07:12 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline esquire

• Newly Subscribed
  • Some weird guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 06:25:20 am »
Yeah, computers definitely are weird. But to be fair, I bought this in early 2014 (used) for $200. I wasn't really hoping for much out of it, but it's still going almost 6 years later.

Battery life is a lot better on Peppermint, as I've doubled my battery-life to a whole 2 hours! I attribute a lot higher value to that than having only two out of four mouse buttons working, and it's actually something that I can use on a regular basis again.

If you want a tablet, I wouldn't necessarily go with this one (as it's ~10 years old). I was ogling some old Fujitsu LifeBooks with a similar form factor that were only about $250, as I recall (and with a 5th or 6th gen i7 if I remember correctly instead of the atom in this guy). I want to try the PineTab when it comes out, but I also really want a good stylus that works with it. I doubt that's on the list though.

Good luck in your endeavors with a tablet, and you've got to post on here what you find. I'll keep an eye out. :D