Choose style:

Author Topic: Re: Accessing WIFI networks ((RESOLVED))  (Read 614 times)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
Re: Accessing WIFI networks ((RESOLVED))
« on: December 24, 2019, 04:47:48 pm »
First off..Merry Christmas to all and thanks to all who have made transitioning smooth...may all have a prosperous new year and the best of health for all.

Now back to my issue..I had set my brother up with Peppermint 10 a few months back and he has been using the computer as his main source of entertainment but a week back he had a wifi modem issue and the provider had him come in to get a new replacement modem but has not been able to reconnect to the internet. Seeing as he is back in Canada and l am in Florida for the winter l am unable to do a hands on repair.
Talking with him on the phone l find he does not have a wifi network showing. When he goes to the menu<all settings< network< network manager<network connections..he is just showing Ethernet and no wifi connections. Now at this point l am not certain as to what we should be looking for and am reaching out to you.
Many Thanks
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:50:30 pm by windrose »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Accessing WIFI networks
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 05:25:29 am »
Hi windrose,

My advice would be to tell him to use a cable to connect his computer directly to the router/modem and see if he can get online. If he can get online then have him read this post by PCNetSpec and do as it instructs.
He should also, if he can get online, make sure that his machine is up-to-date.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 02:10:30 pm »
If he right-clicks the networkmanager icon in the system tray (down by the clock), is his wireless network name displayed ?

if so, click on it to connect.

If not, tell him to connect via an ethernet cable and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
iwlist scan
so we can see if his wireless router/modem is detected (?)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 11:29:18 am »
sorry for the delay getting back to you but with Christmas and trying to contact my brother on the phone.....anyhow the situation is now changed...he is NOT trying to access the internet using WIFI he has an ethernet connection...but he is still finding it difficult to log onto the internet..he says he gets an message that he has an ethernet connection to the modem but he is not able to find out where he may have to enter a password to enable him to connect...since l use only WIFI to connect l am at a loss to direct him...regards and Happy Boxing Day!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 04:53:08 pm »
You don't need a password for ethernet connections.

is anything else in the house able to access the internet ? .. if so I can only assume it's a hardware or driver issue, such as a non-working ethernet driver or possibly just a bad ethernet cable, or possibly just a hardware switch (or key combo) set to disable ethernet.

Can you somehow post the output from
lshw -C network
and
ifconfig
and
nmcli g
and
nmcli c

copy output to a text file, copy text file to another computer, post here.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 07:34:40 pm »
Still working on the issue but it is difficult doing it on the phone.
Thanks for every ones help and l will keep you posted as to the progress.
Dave

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing WIFI networks {SOLVED}
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 09:46:28 pm »
I am marking this as solved as it would appear we have established that there is a working modem and a signal is available but because my brother is not computer literate and l am out of the country for the season we will not be able to perform the necessary steps to rectify the issue if indeed there is an issue other than inexperience.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing WIFI networks {unsolved}
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 05:25:03 pm »
Well l found it necessary to return home for a few weeks and managed to check on my Brothers Peppermint issues.
The service provider had shut off his service after he had gotten upset about their being unable to provide the internet. Once my Brother spoke to the Tech people and mentioned he was running a Linux based computer they said the issue was with the computer and not their problem.
Well it was not too much of an issue as l managed to disconnect his system and transported it to my house where l plugged it into my Ethernet port and proceeded to receive the internet signal.
 No issues here! After downloading all the updates that had not been installed for two months everything is as it should be. It would appear that the provider had suspected a defective modem and sent a technician out with another, unable to configure the new router l guess he gave up and just left my Brother without service.
Now having discovered there was indeed no issue with the computer l can but suspect a defective router or other technical issues with their equipment they were unable to discover.
This is just an update for anyone who had an interest and had been reading the process.
Now to get in touch with the provider and see if they man up and admit their error. 

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:26 am »
Hi windrose,

Good luck with that !!  ::) I doubt that they have anyone who understands anything about Linux or they would not have brushed off your brother so quickly and, for them, so conveniently.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:53:41 am »
Now to get in touch with the provider and see if they man up and admit their error.

LoL! :))

You might find this interesting (1 minute read):  https://is.gd/bKmH29

Offline rayzer

• Onnnn the Pep 10..
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 03:55:07 pm »
used to have a internet provider whos service would go down and theyd never bother informing people, except they got fkd out of it by everyone who rang them up. i had saved the opendns server details which i used to get back online anytime it happened but then realised why am i paying them when i can barely use their internet. switched over not after that and only once have i had an issue which was quickly resolved. some isps are just scumbags
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here https://flickr.com/photos/92410488@N03/

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing WIFI networks {unsolved}((RESOLVED))
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 02:36:04 pm »
Final update on this issue.
There was no issue with the computer, nor with the internet as l had come home and went to my brothers to check out the issue in person.
The computer was fine and the internet was functional however after the new DSL modem was placed into service it had not been properly configured by the techy who had attended initially.
After l got on to the service dept and got on the phone with someone knowledgeable it turned out one box in the modem configuration process had not been checked...sorry it was almost 3 weeks since and l can not recall which item needed checking but it is fully operational until l received a call last night from him saying he could not access the Peppermint forums because of a yellow error screen.....and now that has been dealt with.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
Re: Accessing WIFI networks {unsolved}((RESOLVED))
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 04:39:27 pm »
Congratulations on getting your brother's connection sorted. We're relieved it wasn't a peppermintOS issue. We greatly appreciate your marking this (RESOLVED), but for clarity's sake, would you mind removing the {unsolved} from the OP's subject line @windrows?
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing WIFI networks ((RESOLVED))
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 01:51:18 pm »
done!