Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 10 Conflicts with Ubuntu 19  (Read 569 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint 10 Conflicts with Ubuntu 19
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 06:11:09 am »
Either way I'm not so sure that os-release document is what generates the EFI directory name. 

I'll test the theory, but I'm pretty sure it isn't .. though I can't remember off the top of my head what does

could you enlighten me with the details of how I might use efibootmtgr to recreate non-existing EFI entries.  If I recall correctly new entries are selected from EFI directories that already exist but not listed in the menu for one reason or another.

As long as you're NOT using SecureBoot I'm pretty sure this will be possible .. eg. to copy the /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu directory, rename it to say 'peppermint', then use efibootmgr to point a 'peppermint' entry at it.
(then to reinstall GRUB from within Ubuntu to replace the 'ubuntu' EFI bootloader contents)

But you're gonna have to wait until after Xmas for me to test this before posting instructions .. and the problem I see with this is - if GRUB ever gets an upstream update it may break booting from peppermint (and/or AGAIN replace the ubuntu entry) requiring it all to be done again manually.

That said if all you want is an EFI entry labelled 'ubuntu' and another labelled 'peppermint' that BOTH point to say peppermints GRUB stage 2 (or ubuntu's), please post the output from:
Code: [Select]
efibootmgr -v

WARNING: DO NOT use the command below before posting the output I requested above first .. it will likely need some adjustment, the command below is ONLY AN EXAMPLE.

The command would likely be something like (but likely not exactly):
Code: [Select]
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label peppermint --loader /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi
Also, be aware this will NOT create any separate EFI bootloader directory for 'peppermint' .. it will just create an EFI entry labelled 'peppermint' that also points at the /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu directory. But at least you'll have two EFI entries called 'ubuntu' and 'peppermint' even though they both point at the same place.

Hope that made sense ?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:34:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Peppermint 10 Conflicts with Ubuntu 19
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 02:32:05 pm »
I believe that I have come to a successful resolution of the problem were Linux Peppermint Identifies itself as ubuntu in the EFI boot directory and thus creates a conflict that breaks the Windows Boot Device Manager.  I deleted Peppermint entirely from the laptop in which it was installed and used the Boot Repair Disk USB to rebuild Grub.  Unfortunately it ran into errors that still need to be resolved, but I now have Ubuntu Linux, the real version, running alongside Mageia 7 and Windows 10.

Going forward I will be isolating any installation of Peppermint so that it has no opportunity to corrupt any other OS that may be installed on my hard drive.  I have no complaints about Peppermint of itself, but apparently the developers' concern for cost and maintenance issues override the desire for a clean and bug-free experience by the end user.  This may be justified in that not many people are trying to multi-boot as I am.  All of this is not to say Windows is perfect, but I have been negatively impressed with Peppermint as a replacement or even an addition to the Microsoft offering.  I certainly will not be inclined to donate anything towards its development.  As a VM, sandboxed, or a stand alone USB/HDD installation, I think there is potential for Peppermint to be useful and easy to use.  Hopefully, at some point, the EFI boot process will be mature as well.