Author Topic: Peppermint 10 Conflicts with Ubuntu 19  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Peppermint 10 Conflicts with Ubuntu 19
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:02:57 pm »
MY LAPTOP
Model: Msi GL72 7QF
Processor: Intel i7-7700HQ; 2.8GH
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: nVidia GTX960M, Optimus enabled
SSD: 500GB, UEFI, Windows10 Insider Preview; Ubuntu 19.10; Mageia 7

I installed Peppermint 10 on the above laptop alongside three other operating systems: Windows 10, Mageia7, and Ubuntu 19.10.  When installation was complete Peppermint Linux booted from its Grub menu as expected.   I then rebooted into the Windows Boot Device Manager, and to my dismay Peppermint Linux was not an option.  Ubuntu was an option along with Mageia.  Selecting Ubuntu brought me to the Peppermint Grub menu and not the Ubuntu 19.04 Grub menu I expected.

Apparently Peppermint Linux decided to call itself Ubuntu and overwrite the bootloader for Ubuntu 19.  I can boot into the real Ubuntu via the Peppermint Grub menu, but that is not the preferred scenario.  I want the Windows Boot Device Manager to show Ubuntu, Mageia, and Peppermint.  Can anyone offer advice on how to fix the boot manager that was altered by Peppermint Linux?

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
Re: Peppermint 10 Conflicts with Ubuntu 19
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 05:53:58 pm »
Hi yogi, and Happy Christmas,

If I am right, I think the Last Linux install always becomes the grub boot loader.

I dont know how to revert it back the way you need it since I am  single OS user myself but have heard others talk about this before and also have a solution to this.

Hang in there for someone with more knowledge than me to instruct you how to do this so you dont mess up your grub by playing with it without good instructions.

Regards,

The Omen

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:52:01 pm »
Grub Customizer is your friend...  ;)

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 06:08:14 am »
Omen - I'm certain I'm not the only one with this particular problem. People who try to multi-boot Linux Mint, for example, with any other flavor of Ubuntu report the same issues.  It's true that Mint, Peppermint, and Ubuntu are derived from the same code, but the distros all have different names.  Who's idea was it to call them all the same name when booting UEFI? 
It is also true that the last Linux OS install tends to be the master bootloader.  I can deal with that.  As suggested by VinDSL, Grub Customizer is your friend, but the problem I'm seeing is not in Grub per se.  The problem is that the Peppermint installer identifies itself as an operating system that is already installed. 

Code: [Select]
dennis@dennisVB ~ $ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Peppermint"
VERSION="10 (Ten)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Peppermint Ten"
VERSION_ID="10"
HOME_URL="http://peppermintos.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forum.peppermintos.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/~peppermintos/"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

dennis@VBdennis:~$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="19.10 (Eoan Ermine)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 19.10"
VERSION_ID="19.10"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=eoan
UBUNTU_CODENAME=eoan

It's too late to question the wisdom of ID-ing two separate operating systems with the same name.  What I need to know now is how to rectify the situation so that they both appear in the Windows (UEFI) Boot Manager.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 06:35:34 am »
Who's idea was it to call them all the same name when booting UEFI? 

I'm guessing it has to do with the kernels needing to be signed to pass the "secure boot" feature.

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 07:07:56 am »
murraymint- I'd say that's a good guess.  I don't need secure boot in my situation.  I do need a work around for this problem.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 09:46:21 am »
I then rebooted into the Windows Boot Device Manager, and to my dismay Peppermint Linux was not an option. 

Can you link to some documentation or a screenshot of "Windows Boot Device Manager"?

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 12:35:38 pm »
I didn't think it would be appropriate to post Windows screenshots to a Linux forum, but it is relevant and you did ask ...

This is the Windows 10 equivalent to the Grub menu we all know and love.
-Selecting UEFI ... Partition 2 takes me to the Peppermint Grub menu
-Selecting ubuntu takes me to the Peppermint Grub menu
-Selecting mageia7 takes me to the mageia7 Grub menu
-Selecting rEFINd Boot Manager takes me to the alternative to Grub and  this Windows Boot Device menu. 

The reason I'm here asking questions is because I'm no expert on this boot process.  However, my current understanding is that the Windows Boot Device Manager (pictured above) does exactly what Grub and rEFINd does, that is, it scans the contents of the ESP partition (/dev/sda2) and displays the bootable devices it locates therein. 

In my particular installation there are some things in the EFI directory that are leftover from previous experiments.  We can disregard those extra entries for this discussion. 
root@MSI-dennis ~ # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
root@MSI-dennis ~ # cd /mnt
root@MSI-dennis /mnt # ls -l
total 16
drwx------  4 root root 4096 May 15  2019  boot-sav
drwx------ 10 root root 4096 Apr 16  2019  EFI
drwx------  4 root root 4096 May 29  2019 'System Volume Information'
drwx------  3 root root 4096 Aug 21 20:30 '$WINDOWS.~SY'
root@MSI-dennis /mnt # cd EFI
root@MSI-dennis /mnt/EFI # ls -l
total 32
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:58 Acronis
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:58 Boot
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:58 kali
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Nov 29 11:28 mageia
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:58 Microsoft
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:58 MSI
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:58 refind
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Apr 16  2019 ubuntu
root@MSI-dennis /mnt/EFI # ls -l mageia
total 124
-rwx------ 1 root root 123904 Nov 29 12:01 grubx64.efi
root@MSI-dennis /mnt/EFI # ls -l ubuntu
total 3724
-rwx------ 1 root root     108 Dec 23 13:49 BOOTX64.CSV
drwx------ 2 root root    4096 Apr 16  2019 fw
-rwx------ 1 root root   75992 Apr 16  2019 fwupx64.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root     126 Dec 23 13:49 grub.cfg
-rwx------ 1 root root 1116024 Dec 23 13:49 grubx64.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root 1269496 Dec 23 13:49 mmx64.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root 1334816 Dec 23 13:49 shimx64.efi
root@MSI-dennis /mnt/EFI #

Take note of the listing of the mageia directory which shows a single entry grubx64.efi  That, I believe, is the Grub menu for the mageia Linux OS.
Now take note of the listing for the ubuntu directory. The same grubx64.efi entry is found as well as one labeled shimx64.efi  Given that both .efi files are binary I cannot look to see what is in them.  I would expect the grubx64.efi in the ubuntu directory to be the Grub menu for Ubuntu.  In my case it's Grub for Peppermint Linux. 
The shim64x.efi file is the fallback entry which typically is used when booting removable drives (as I often do)  It is this fallback entry that shows up in the Windows Boot Device Manager as partition 2 of the hard drive (or /dev/sda2 for you Linux fans)

Prior to installing Peppermint the grubx64.efi in the ubuntu directory called up Grub for Ubuntu 19.10.  After I installed Peppermint it now calls the Peppermint version of Grub but not from a directory labeled Peppermint as any sane person would expect. 

The output of the os-release file shown above clearly shows that Peppermint Linux ID's itself as ubuntu.  Therefore it installed its own version of Grub into the existing ubuntu directory in the ESP partition instead of making a new directory for itself.  The result is that Ubuntu 19.10 is no longer an option in the Windows Boot Device Manager.

I am hesitant to just move things around and create directories arbitrarily.  UEFI is funny about those kind of things  However if some knowledgeable person can post a procedure or reference a tutorial about how to edit the EFI directory without crashing the whole system, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm not looking for a simple editor such as efibootmgr in the Linux repositories  All that does is manage what already exists.  In my case the contents of the directories is corrupt and I need to know how to rebuild them and not simply rearrange the boot order.  The ultimate question for this forum is how do I install Peppermint Linux without corrupting an existing Ubuntu installation?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:38:50 pm by Yogi »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 01:18:30 pm »
Interesting.

It's been so long since I used winders to boot Linux, I forgot one could do it that way.

First of all, that ID should say peppermint, not ubuntu. Changing the ID might take care of your problem, but I'm on the trot right now, on a PM7 business lappy. I don't have a PM10 machine to test the patch, so maybe someone else can offer a fix.

As an example of a proper ID, here's what it reports on this PM7 machne:

╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Peppermint"
VERSION="Seven"
ID=peppermint
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Peppermint Seven"
VERSION_ID="7"
HOME_URL="http://peppermintos.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forum.peppermintos.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/~peppermintos/"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$

Personally, the way I setup multi-booters is to pre-partition the drive(s) using GParted with UEFI/Secure Boot enabled. I install winders first, followed by Peppermint. Then, I tweak it so it boots into GRUB. Finally, I rearrange the menu order using Grub Customizer, placing PM7 at the top of the order.

On this lappy, the only time I see the winders boot menu is when I choose winders 10 in GRUB. This gives me two additional choices - winders stable or winders skip-ahead.

I'll post something more understandable when I get back to the abode, if you're still having probs, but it will be a few days.

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 02:28:34 pm »
VinDSL - thanks for the reply.  It's interesting that Peppermint 7 ID's itself with a proper name, but Peppermint 10 chooses otherwise.  I could try to alter os-release, but even if it corrected the directory name in the ESP partition, the information for booting Ubuntu seems to be lost; overwritten by Peppermint.

Unless somebody comes up with a repair method, it looks as if the ultimate solution would be to wipe out all the current Linux installs and then reinstall them assuming the last one in will take on the role of master (Grub) bootloader.  That's kind of a no brainer. However, the Ubuntu conflict would still exist.  Unless I can find a method to install Peppermint without obliterating it's Ubuntu parent, I may have to confine Peppermint to a VM on a Windows host.

Also, I need Windows to be the default OS on this machine.  I'm doing beta testing (Insiders Preview) of Windows and need to be able to reboot unattended, i.e. without going through Grub, during updates. I might be able to do it using rEFINd, but I'd much prefer booting Linux using the conventional Grub bootloader.

Holding the ctrl key while clicking on reboot will get you into the Windows Device Manager by the way.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 02:44:11 pm »
There is nothing we can do short of paying Microsoft for our own signing key and hosting our own version of GRUB and our own copy of the kernel .. that is the reason nearly all smaller distros reuse the Ubuntu signed version of GRUB/kernel .. if we renamed anything in it, it would fail to pass UEFI/Secureboot key signing and not boot.

For the vast majority of people it's not an issue as whatever you chose it would load GRUB (either Peppermint's or Ubuntu's) .. and GRUB will list both OS's anyway.
(you could point the EFI entry at EITHER of the GRUB stage 2 .. on the Pep or Ubu partition)

So as there's no real benefit, it would mean a LOT more work staying on top of kernel security patches ourselves (rather than relying on upstream) and would add an additional cost, we can't really see the point.

I'm not really getting the problem here ? .. even if it were possible to do what you wanted (and it probably is as long as you don't use Secureboot), no matter which you picked you'd still end up at GRUB listing both distros ???
(and the GRUB you end up at would be EXACTLY the same, package for package .. the only difference would be where GRUB stage 2 was locate)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »
I could try to alter os-release, but even if it corrected the directory name in the ESP partition, the information for booting Ubuntu seems to be lost; overwritten by Peppermint.

I'm not looking for a simple editor such as efibootmgr in the Linux repositories  All that does is manage what already exists.

I think you might be mistaken and that efibootmgr can create a new entry with your desired name. So the steps seem to be:

1) Boot into Peppermint

2) Delete the Peppermint EFI entry

3) Recreate it with the name "Peppermint"

4) Boot into Ubuntu via the Peppermint Grub

5) Create an EFI entry named "Ubuntu"

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 04:56:43 pm »
PCNetSpec- Thank you for adding some clarity to the issue.  I  can well appreciate budget considerations facing an operation that is not yet mainstream.  It is odd, however, that VinDSL shows an os-release document where Peppermint is identified correctly but that is not the case in the latest release that I am using.  Either way I'm not so sure that os-release document is what generates the EFI directory name. 

You are correct that Grub by any other name is still Grub. 

I understand that not many people are trying to do what I am attempting. You might say I have a Windows computer that can also boot into Linux.  As such I want all the installed OS's to show in the Windows Boot Device Manager and be correctly identified as well.  Linux Mint, which is not exactly small time, does exactly the same thing as Peppermint.  The option of abandoning the Windows bootloader in favor of Grub is a viable alternative but not desirable in my situation.  If I switch boot device managers it would more than likely be to rEFINd and not Grub - they seem a little easier to deal with than Grub.

murraymint- My understanding is that ubiquity, the Ubuntu installer, can be run without creating a bootloader:  sudo ubiquity -b (or something close to that).  I also understand there are ways in install Grub after the fact.  That seems like a reasonable approach, but I would need some pointing in the right direction in order to do that. 

Likewise, could you enlighten me with the details of how I might use efibootmtgr to recreate non-existing EFI entries.  If I recall correctly new entries are selected from EFI directories that already exist but not listed in the menu for one reason or another.  My original Ubuntu directory no longer exists; it was hijacked by Peppermint.  A link to a tutorial would be fine.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 05:23:48 pm »
This seems to be what you're looking for:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-line/how-to-use-linux-efibootmgr-examples

Specifically number 3. Where it says <label> you would replace that with
"Peppermint"

Offline Yogi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 05:38:27 pm »
Thank you so much murraymint. If that's not what I'm looking for, it certainly is a step in the right direction. 

However, I had to chuckle at the first instruction:
Boot into the Linux distro that doesn’t have UFEI boot entry.  Then make sure it has the EFI version of GRUB boot loader installed.
They want me to boot into something that isn't there.  Fortunately, I have a way to do that.  :D

I may not be able to report back for a few days.  We are making a road trip for the Christmas holiday.  But, rest assured your assistance has not gone unappreciated.  I'll check in again after I try the fix.