Author Topic: Can't Install version 10  (Read 894 times)

Offline wire_one

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): v9 & v10
Can't Install version 10
« on: December 17, 2019, 04:58:22 pm »
I have version 9 on all my computers. On a Dell Inspiron 1100 3157 the mouse pad quit working. I followed instructions to update the grub file but this did not fix it. I am trying to install ver10 from a bootable USB drive I made following the instructions on the site but when I choose install I get an error that reads the following:

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1: 1.27.2-2ubuntu 3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on // filesystem.squashfs failed: no such device
can not mount /dev/loop0 (cd rom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on // filesystem.squashfs

I don't know if the two problems are related. I was going to install ver10 to see if it would fix it but I got the error problem and don't know how to proceed. Has anyone experienced this?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Can't Install version 10
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 02:42:46 pm »
Have you tested the LiveUSB on another system (to rule in/out a corrupt media)

How did you create the LiveUSB (what software) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline wire_one

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:47:13 pm »
I just tried the bootable usb on another computer and it had no trouble loading the install program. Do you think the the Dell peppermint ver 9 is corrupted or is there a problem possibly with the bios? Could formatting the SSD in the dell be a solution? Thanks for your response.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 06:14:54 pm »
I just tried the bootable usb on another computer and it had no trouble loading the install program. Do you think the the Dell peppermint ver 9 is corrupted or is there a problem possibly with the bios? Could formatting the SSD in the dell be a solution? Thanks for your response.

Hi wire_one, how's it going  :)?  Does your Dell not boot into Peppermint 10 Respin?  If this is correct, it maybe a BIOS settings issue.  Try this.  Insert your bootable USB stick/device into your computer.  Boot up your Dell and hold down either, the F10 or F12 key.  On a Dell, this usually brings up the BIOS editor.  Depending on the BIOS version, you will either be presented with an option to select your bootable Peppermint 10 device, or you'll be taken to the BIOS editor.  From there you can move your bootable Peppermint 10 device to the top of the boot order.  If you're still having issues, please let us know the model of your Dell.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline wire_one

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
My system is Dell Inspiron 11 3157. I reflashed my bios but that did not make any difference. I have to go into the bios setup to make it boot to the USB. It brings up the menu to select the installation after I select the peppermint install the error listed below appears. I tried the USB on another computer and there was no error and it gave me the menu to start the installation properly so the USB is good.

Code: [Select]
BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1: 1.27.2-2ubuntu 3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on // filesystem.squashfs failed: no such device
can not mount /dev/loop0 (cd rom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on // filesystem.squashfs
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:29:33 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 08:12:18 am »
How did you create the LiveUSB ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 12:25:01 pm »
Try using Rufus to create the bootable thumb/usb drive.

https://rufus.ie/

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 09:29:45 am »
It sounds like the problem is in the Dell and not the usb memory. Could be a Legacy/UEFI or ACHI setting not set right. Merely reflashing the bios won't fix anything, you'll have to have the bios set up right.
What was I thinking?