Choose style:

Author Topic: Former "distro hopper" now with peppermint 10 things i find useful  (Read 213 times)

Offline zarg2

• nOOb
  • let the people you love know it
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
So I have over the years used every distro from Slitaz to Opensuse, Antix to Zorin, etc...Settled on Antix and MX for over 3 years and recently shifted to peppermint 10 first on our main and then on the old Pentium 4 I use as a game emulation machine with our TV.

Things I find useful in Peppermint:

-it's quick and has a relatively light footprint.

-Not overloaded with packages and lets user get what they want and need

-ICE! and SSBs - I use this feature a lot on my main to access Google Apps and Microsoft Word( I installed AbiWord for quick local word processing that I'm just going to print out.) I also use ICE for banking and bill paying sites. Every instance opens in a flash and works great.

- Software options; at first I thought "3 methods of software maintenance is stupid" BUT....I find that sometimes the Gnome store will find what the SM does not and vice a versa and old reliable synaptic is there when all else fails.

- The DE/ interface is easy to understand and built in settings app allows one to tweak the system as desired.

-Great and friendly support forum.

Wish list:

-A snapshot and iso system similar to MX Linux; I used it any time I made major changes or was about to install a large update. It also allows one to truly "take your system with you" when away from home.

- For any and all Linux distro's a simple tool to go from PDF to JPEG or other image files

with any OS what matters to me is " what can I do and how intuitive/easy is it" ; I'm teaching my grandson (4) how to use Peppermint :D

Dell Dimension 4700 - Peppermint 10 32 bit on Kingston A400 SSD
ACER Desktop Athlon 64X2 - Peppermint 10
Acer C720P 32GB SSD 4GB Memory Ex- Chromebook GaliumOS
"You have today; use it well & be kind"

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: Former "distro hopper" now with peppermint 10 things i find useful
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:22:13 pm »
I found Peppermint (with ICE) while looking for a more versatile version of Chrome OS. I had tried at least a half-dozen distros previously and found P-Mint superior to all of them. I would recommend PM to anyone with an older computer or anyone unhappy with Windows 10. I personally have no gripe with Win10, but cannot run it on my old gasoline-powered netbook. It runs P8 happily and I will probably convert to P10 when the respin comes out shortly.

Offline zarg2

• nOOb
  • let the people you love know it
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 07:23:13 am »
My "go-to" Distros right now are:

P10- Stable, fast and lets me do what I want/need to do.P10"gets out of the way" and lets me work/play.

On EX-Chromebooks - Hands down GalliumOS; it allows all functions of the Chromebook to work including touchscreen AND adds the full functionality of a Linux OS- A very underrated Distro IMHO. If one upgrades the typically small SSD found in older Chromebooks(Mine had a 32 GB which I swapped out for a 128 at a cost of $18) and installs GaliumOS they become a very versatile little machine. my total cost for my touchscreen Linux laptop was $88 and it has 4GB ram with a 128GB SSD, more than enough for what I use it for.

I use Antix for rescue.
I use Tinycore for booting from USB/Stealth.

If a machine does not "like" P10 then I install MX, another great Distro.

what I like about Linux is the variety of developer approaches allows one to seek out and find good matches for old or oddball hardware.
Dell Dimension 4700 - Peppermint 10 32 bit on Kingston A400 SSD
ACER Desktop Athlon 64X2 - Peppermint 10
Acer C720P 32GB SSD 4GB Memory Ex- Chromebook GaliumOS
"You have today; use it well & be kind"

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »
what I like about Linux is the variety of developer approaches allows one to seek out and find good matches for old or oddball hardware.

{Hi, my name is Zac T. Ly}
                       /
                  :)   <-- Egg ZacTLy
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec