Choose style:

Author Topic: Can I add a windows like System Tray in Peppermint? (Solved))  (Read 221 times)

Offline timehunter

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint OS 10
Can I add a windows like System Tray in Peppermint? (Solved))
« on: December 08, 2019, 03:36:24 am »
Hello,
I was wondering if there is any way to add a system tray that will show icons of programs that are running in the background when I click on it. Like the one, I had on windows.

For example, when I close the XDM Download manager, it is still running and downloading the files in the background. But to open it again I need to go to the menu and search for xdm and open that again. If I could add a button that would show the XDM and other program running in the background would be great

like this-
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:23:54 am by timehunter »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Can I add a windows like System Tray in Peppermint?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 06:25:09 am »
Hi timehunter,

When you minimise open applications in Peppermint they either go to the panel or sit in the notification area if they have been designed that way.  You can change the panel to just show an arrow instead of an icons and words but if a program has not been programed to minimise to the notification area, it cannot be done.

To my current knowledge level.

EDIT: You can add an item called "Window Menu" to the Panel and go into the configuration to change the button layout to an icon and that may give you what you want.  You will have to try it and see if it covers all the scenarios that you need.

Right mouse click the panel and choose Panel Preferences - then go to the third tab in the window that says Items

on the right click the + sign and then scroll down until you see window menu and then click add. Close the selection window and make sure Window Menu is highlighted and click on the four lines on the right and change Button Layout from Icon to arrow. Click Close and then you are back to the Panel Preferences with your new item.   It will place it right at the end by default.  Highlight it and then using the up and down arrows place it where you want it to appear. Click close and you should now see a small down arrow in the panel. Click it and it should show all open applications.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear and I will either do a short video and or provide screen shots.

Regards Zeb...

FINAL EDIT:  Here is the short video tutorial and of course the icon was Blue not Green lol.  Watch the vide it will become obvious.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:11:29 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Can I add a windows like System Tray in Peppermint?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 07:32:34 am »
Applications themselves have to be programmed to add a system tray indicator (some do, some don't) .. if the app doesn't support it, there's no way for us to add it short of rewriting the software (this is the same in the Windows world too .. where in my opinion far too many 'apps' add system tray indicators when they're not necessary).

Zeb's idea of adding the 'window menu' xfce4-panel plugin will list all currently running GUI applications (applications with a window) .. so may do what you want, but I'm not even sure what XDM Download Manager is or how it works so I can't say for sure.
(my guess would be that when you shut down its GUI frontend if it's still downloading in the background that will be being done by some CLI scripts running as a daemon/service .. in which case the window menu plugin won't display it as the windowed GUI front end has closed)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:48:34 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline timehunter

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint OS 10
Re: Can I add a windows like System Tray in Peppermint? (Solved)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:00:02 am »
My God! zebedeeboss

Man! did you just make a video tutorial just to help me?
Thank you so much!
Yes, it is kinda what I wanted. Although if I close a tab it won't show up on that panel. But it's ok I get it now.

Thank you PCNetSpec
I was talking about the Xtreme download manager which I use to download videos and other kinds of stuff. When I click on the cross button it closes the panel. But it still runs in the background and downloads files.

Here have a look-

I am closing XDM

Now it's not being shown at the panel.
But, when I check Htop I can see it, is still running under the name opt/Xdman

I just wish I could get an icon of these apps running in the background
when I click on that arrow button that  zebedeeboss suggested.
But it is ok if that's not possible.

Thank you, guys.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:12:50 am by timehunter »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Can I add a windows like System Tray in Peppermint? (Solved))
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 10:56:29 am »
Yr Very Welcome and it can become part of our video Tutorial Packages so got two birds with one stone.

Welcome to Peppermint - the Best Distro and THE BEST Forum bar none  :D :D

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 02:43:07 pm »
Kudos, ALL the way around   :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 03:25:47 pm »
Now you're asking .. I'm afraid I haven't a clue how java apps handle system tray applets, but again it would be down to the application developer to implement.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec