Choose style:

Author Topic: Strange Video artifact (Solved)  (Read 673 times)

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
  • Peppermint version(s): Forever 9!
Strange Video artifact (Solved)
« on: December 06, 2019, 10:40:59 pm »
OK, the main reason I switched to Peppermint 10 from Linux Mint 19.2 is a weird video artifact appeared in 18.3 or thereabout; I went all the way to 19.1 and it worked a little better with the video issue only appearing randomly -- to this day I have no idea where it is coming from because when it happens it is fatal -- total makes the UI impossible to use -- I can still ssh into a terminal remotely so the system isn't locked per se but locally the UI and consoles cannot be used without rebooting ...

So, fast forward to December 1st -- that artifact issue has appeared in Peppermint 10 now ... did an update and the next day Dec 2nd the system started locking up with the exactly same error from Linux Mint -- now I know both OSes are related but I was hoping the code base would not be so close as to replicate the errors ><      Anyways, now it has ...

So, without jumping back to Linux Mint I was wondering if anyone here can provide some T/S steps I could maybe follow to help narrow down why this is happening and maybe fix it?  Otherwise if it is going to happen I might as well just stay on Linux Mint :/

I know I prolly need a new system but that isn't an option - not yet this year at any rate -- I will just keep hopping distro's until I can find one that is stable and Linux Mint MATE has been the most stable -- does Peppermint have a MATE edition?  Can I switch to MATE?  Not sure yet - just exploring my options ... again ><

Thx/Bill
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:10:43 am by Sn33x »
... beep ...  computers are like little kids - you have to always tell them what to do ><

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Strange Video artifact
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 04:43:51 am »
Hello SN33 and welcome to the Forum. Could you please in Terminal type
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
Then copy and paste the info, as the info will give us more of an idea of what you're running and hopefully help in resolving your issues.
Also there is no other DE or Desktop Environment in Peppermint as it is a collection of LXDE, XFCE, with some Mate/Cinnamon parts all rolled into one. Peppermint is a close cousin of Linux Mint, but Peppermint is different in many ways, more unique.
Many thanks
 :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:57:30 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 07:03:06 am »
If it's only just started to happen, have you tried booting the previous kernel ?

Please post the output clatterfordslim requested, it may help us narrow things down a bit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:05:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 11:03:19 am »
... Terminal type
inxi -Fz

this is it here: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9014.0.html.  but I will do it again aftrr I wake up - I work nights so I should be sleeping now ><

[edit 12/8/19 @ 10:07pm EST US Time ...]
ok, it ran as it has done when the video issue started but at 9:50pm it crashed again so I went ahead and switched the grub boot to an older kernel 2 levels ago ... we will see whether that fixes it.  If it does I will post back to see what is best method for banning kernel changes during software update/patching ..,  Wish me luck tho with this kernel version: 5.0.35 I think ...

[older edit 12/7/19 @ 9:17pm EST US Time ...]
OK, I am awake now but at work and so I will need to look at booting a different/earlier kernel more closely  - so I may wait until I am off tomorrow before going down that path ... I really don't want to keep hopping distros anymore so I am very motivated to getting this fixed ...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:14:29 pm by Sn33x »
... beep ...  computers are like little kids - you have to always tell them what to do ><

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 06:17:46 am »
Hello SN33 and welcome to the Forum. Could you please in Terminal type
inxi -Fz
Then copy and paste the info, as the info will give us more of an idea of what you're running and hopefully help in resolving your issues.
... [DE stuff edited out] ...
Many thanks
 :)

OK, the video issue is appearing in an older kernel so I do not think that is the problem.  Here is output requested (I just rebooted so kernel is a recent one):

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 5.0.0-37-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 1 Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: desktop System: eMachines product: EL1300G v: R01-A2 serial: <filter>
           Mobo: eMachines model: WMCP61M serial: N/A BIOS: Phoenix v: R01-A2 date: 04/10/2009
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon 2650e (-UP-) cache: 512 KB speed: 1600 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.20.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@59.81hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NV4C version: 2.1 Mesa 19.0.8
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k5.0.0-37-generic
           Card-2 Logitech Headset H390 driver: USB Audio
Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4126.3GB (20.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD40PURX size: 4000.8GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 125.6GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.9T used: 293G (17%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 1.8T used: 498G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-3: /boot size: 475M used: 172M (39%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 1012.0/3689.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I will likely switch back to Linux Mint - I hear 19.3 Beta is up so I may give that a try.  This problem has to be coming from Ubuntu code base so I may need to just go back to Debian proper all together  ><   Distro hopping to fix a video issue wasn't possible when Linux started 25 years ago ... yeah!  It has been that long!  lol - we are 25 years older now ><

Anyways, Peppermint was fun but visually it has the dreaded video crashes so I will need to think about a fix ... at least it is breaking sporadically just like the parent code ...

I will keep you apprised of the situation - if it gets fixed or if I just switch OSes again.

Thx/Bill

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:00:01 pm »
Have you tried peppermint 9? Peppermint 10 comes with the new 5.0 Kernel that maybe causing you to have video problems. Peppermint 9 has just the normal Kernel 4.15.0-72 I think it is now. Please give Peppermint 9 a whirl and if you still want Peppermint 10 without the 5.0 Kernel, there is a upgrade you can do from within Peppermint 9.
Here is a link to 32bit and 64bit https://peppermintos.com/previous/
How to upgrade from Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 without Kernel 5.0 Stack https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

Hope this helps any queries let us know please?  :)

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 01:50:11 pm »
Have you tried peppermint 9? Peppermint 10 comes with the new 5.0 Kernel that maybe causing you to have video problems. Peppermint 9 has just the normal Kernel 4.15.0-72 I think it is now. Please give Peppermint 9 a whirl and if you still want Peppermint 10 without the 5.0 Kernel, there is a upgrade you can do from within Peppermint 9.
Here is a link to 32bit and 64bit https://peppermintos.com/previous/
How to upgrade from Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 without Kernel 5.0 Stack https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

Hope this helps any queries let us know please?  :)

I will create USB Stick tonight and test it over the weekend into next Tuesday; if it will vid crash, it usually does it in a couple days.  Thx for the link :)

Cheers/Bill

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »
OK :)  Here I be in PeppermintOS 9:  Linux EL1300G 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I will run it until it Vid Crashes ... hopefully it won't but it is on a USB Stick so it isn't killinmg anything if it does crash...

CYa  :)

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 05:17:36 pm »
OK :)  Here I be in PeppermintOS 9:  Linux EL1300G 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I will run it until it Vid Crashes ... hopefully it won't but it is on a USB Stick so it isn't killinmg anything if it does crash...

CYa  :)

OK, I am back in Linux Mint -- I know this wasn't a great test but I am fairly confident IF I do not upgrade any of the software I should be fine until I can get a new system next year  :)

So that is what I am going to do, run LM 19.3 MATE as installed, with out updating anything.  Sure, I installed Handbrake and open ssh erver, stuff like that but I will not do an apt update / upgrade ..

So I will see you around in the Linux world :)

CYa/Bill

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 07:20:41 am »
Cya Sn33x, glad you've managed to get Mint working .. all the best on your Linux journey :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 05:22:33 pm »
OK, just wanted to keep you guys updated -- even tho I am in Linux Mint 19.3 MATE I wanted to let you know I have made a 5 line change to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf - if it fixes the Video Crashes I will tell this forum what I added ...   I might just reinstall PeppermintOS 10 and test that first before I say anythin' here  ><

Cheers / Bill :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 02:12:26 pm »
Cool, all working fixes are always appreciated .. if they work in Mint, it's HIGHLY likely they'll work in Peppermint :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sn33x

• nOOb
  • -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 03:41:58 am »
Cool, all working fixes are always appreciated .. if they work in Mint, it's HIGHLY likely they'll work in Peppermint :)

ok... I am sort of in a bad mood because less than 1 hour after posting my 'fix' possibility I got this again https://i.imgur.com/Uwb4kq1.png ... but now ssh into the system stopped working - the thing completely locked up... so I am back in Pep 9 ... been there since 7pm Christmas night ... watched a dvd ripped a dvd and still cannot force a vid  crash in 9 so I will stay in 9 until it breaks ... hopefully it won't ...

Happy Holidays :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 04:29:16 am »

ok... I am sort of in a bad mood because less than 1 hour after posting my 'fix' possibility I got this again ... but now ssh into the system stopped working - the thing completely locked up... so I am back in Pep 9 ... been there since 7pm Christmas night ... watched a dvd ripped a dvd and still cannot force a vid  crash in 9 so I will stay in 9 until it breaks ... hopefully it won't ...

Happy Holidays :)

I get that image sometimes when I install Peppermint into Virtualbox and have to fiddle around up the list of whether it's Ubuntu 64 bit or Linux 2.4 64 bit. Glad that Peppermint 9 is working out for you.  ;D Happy Holidays to you too.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 08:21:34 am »
That's kinda the reason for the odd numbered Peppermint releases .. they stick with the same kernel series for their entire life so if they work when installed should be pretty damn stable for their entire 5 year life cycle .. the even numbered releases are more for newer hardware with their rolling kernel and xorg stack.

Nothing wrong with sticking with Pep9 if it's working for you .. and if you want Pep10's extra features, you can always manually upgrade Pep9 --> Pep10 BUT WITHOUT GETTING THE ROLLING KERNEL AND XORG STACK by following these instructions:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.msg86655.html#msg86655
but stopping when you reach the STOP HERE warnings, and NOT adding the HWE.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:23:10 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec