Author Topic: Battery at 0%?  (Read 323 times)

Offline Polyzine

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Battery at 0%?
« on: December 04, 2019, 02:22:13 pm »
I recently just installed Peppermint 10 32 bit on an old Inspiron E1705 and while installation and general usage is perfect I've noticed one issue. My battery usage is stuck at 0% I've confirmed that it is plugged in and the battery indicator on the laptop is working but it still shows 0%. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Battery at 0%?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 03:58:43 am »
Does your BIOS contain a battery level indicator (most Dell's do) ? .. if so, does this also show the battery level as 0% or "Battery not detected/recognised" ?
(if so this is likely a hardware issue as the OS is not initialised at this point)

It seems this may be a common problem with your model, and may have nothing to do with Linux (it may simply be the battery, charger, or charging circuit itself).
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Battery-cannot-be-determined/td-p/4541462

Try this (because it can't hurt to try, and was suggested by a Dell support technician):-
1) Shut down the PC.
2) Whilst powered off, remove the battery and unplug the AC mains adaptor (so there is no power at all to the laptop).
3) Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds (to discharge any power remaining in the motherboard capacitors).
4) Wait for 2 minutes.
5) Reconnect the battery and AC mains adaptor and power on the system.
6) Check if that made any difference.

Source:
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/No-Battery-is-detected/td-p/3146334
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:15:44 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec