Choose style:

Author Topic: Saving for a brand new desktop pc.  (Read 9513 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
Saving for a brand new desktop pc.
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:10 am »
I'm saving for a brand new desktop with more ram, and more storage i will prob be able to get in by mid to late oct.  I can't wait to get it and replace awful ugly windows 8 with peppermint 5 and set it up
exactly as i have my laptop set up right now. My question is as a new linux user how do you guys go about updating to the next os? when the next version of peppermint
comes out would i need to do a brand new install from a brand new disk or is this a way to just update it ? i suppose since peppermint 5 has 5 years of support its not really
a big deal just more of a question, being once i get this desktop im hoping to stick with peppermint and this desktop for a long time, peppermint runs so fast on this old laptop
but i can't wait to see how fast its going to run on a new one!!!!!!

http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Saving for a brand new desktop pc.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:33 am »
HI iamesperambient, the new computer sounds good.  What are you hoping to get?  Isn't it nice to use a modern operating system that flies  ;D‽ The new versions of Peppermint are timed around Ubuntu's April  release cycle.  The Peppermint developers then do their thing and release the new version around June of each year.  There is no upgrade path.  A fresh install is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED  for each new version of Peppermint.  Any other way is only suggested for experienced users to undertake.  With all the extra hassle, it ends up just as quick to do a regular installation. You just have to backup all your critical data in your home folder.  It is then copied back to the home folder of your new installation. 

When you get your new rig. I recommend you pre-make your partitions and do a custom install.  It makes any maintenance much easier.  Anyway, after five years, you'll be a Linux Guru  8).  You'll be doing this with one arm tied behind your back and your eyes closed  ;).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:04:38 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:07:02 am »
hey thanks for the info im looking at a small dell desktop that comes with windows 8.1 (for whatever reason this one is cheaper than the windows 7 one).
The whole package with the new monitor will cost me under 500 which is awesome. So if i move all my files to my 'home folder' when i reinstall the files
will still be there? this is including music/movies etc?? ALso i was wondering this new comp has 4 gigs of ram and will be installed with windows 8.1 64 bit
im running on 32 peppermint 5, would it still be ok if i went ahead and installed the 32 bit os on this new comp or would 64 be more recommended?
from what i read it seems most people suggest the 32 bit but i want to make sure. first thing i will be doing is installing peppermint, i dont even want to
look at windows 8.1 its disgusting interface that 'metro' oversized smart phone look is horrible! i thought windows 7 was bad looking haa.

well hopefully in 5 years i will be doing well with linux in the past month and a half i've caught on pretty well i think but i will have a lot to learn
im still a newbee.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:00:36 am »
So if i move all my files to my 'home folder' when i reinstall the files
will still be there? this is including music/movies etc??
That sounds excellent  8)!!  No, you don't copy your whole home folder.  If you do, the possibility of conflicting configuration files is really high.  The result is a broken system that's a pain to fix or, a system that exhibits "unexpected behaviour".  In other words, acting goofy  >:(.  You only copy Documents, Music, Photos, Videos, Fonts, Themes etc.  If you know that the new programmes are using the same config as their previous versions.  You can carefully copy, (backup) the corresponding .config file(s). 

Your new computer is 99.99999% sure to have a 64 bit processor with a pae flag.  The 32 bit ISO is PAE so, you can use more than 4GiG of memory with it if you want.  I would still install the 64 bit version. It is a little bit quicker and a little bit heaver on memory usage.  I'm using 4GiB of RAM on my 64bit machine and it is more than enough.  Good luck  ;)!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:06:26 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
Go with 64bit Peppermint.

As andy suggests, setting up a separate /home partition *may* make a future "upgrade" to Peppermint 6/7 possible, but there are no guarantees .. Peppermint always advised a "fresh" install as there are a lot of hidden config files in your home folder that *might* conflict with a new version.

We'd only suggest keeping your entire home folder contents if you know how to dig yourself out of any configuration issues you may have.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »
ok thanks for the info :D
i will be sure to ask some set up advice once i get the computer.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:11 pm »
might be worth mentioning the model number BEFORE buying, and see if anyone knows of any known issues.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »
true this is the dell im considering
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3646-small-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwnt7101&model_id=inspiron-3646-small-desktop

and if there is issues i'm also considering a similar HP model.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:16:27 am »
The Dell Inspiron 3646 you mention can actually be bought with Ubuntu 12.04 pre-installed, so will "definitely" work with Peppermint 3, which makes it just short of certain it'll run Ubuntu 14.04 and therefore Peppermint 5 :)

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201403-14890/

As for the Optiplex 745 .. I can see no reason why it sshouldn't be OK .. there was some questions asked about a model with built in Radeon X1300 graphics, but that one's advertised with an Intel GMA3000 graphics driver so should be OK.
(this is purely based on an internet search .. so no 'guarantee' of compatibility)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:39 am »
where can you buy it with ubuntu already on it?? from the dell site it looks like all their computers only come with
windows 7 or 8 i didn't see any linux options?

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »
You may want to consider this source as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-745-Optiplex-Computer-Professional/dp/B00ABMTV98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409337885&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+745+optiplex+desktop+computer
I ran Peppermint 3 and 4 on a very similar, if not identical, 745 without any issues.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »
where can you buy it with ubuntu already on it?? from the dell site it looks like all their computers only come with
windows 7 or 8 i didn't see any linux options?

Other than for the XPS, it doesn't look like you can any more
http://dell.com/ubuntu

It's a strange world we live in, where Linux PC's cost more than Windows ones  :o

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »
I bought my dell optiplex 745 on ebay 6 years ago, best machine I ever bought it runs Windows 7 64 bit perfectly.... 
However I bought a video card for mine after the fact, I also maxed out my ram to the full 8 gigs... ...  Mine cost me like only 150 bucks, so I wouldn't buy from dell if they charging you 500.... 
Be advised your link to walmart one is only a 1.80ghz processor... the one i got on ebay for 150 bucks is a 3.4ghz processor, almost double the speed....  check ebay for off lease or refurb optiplex 745's.... 

Found a 745 refurbed for half the price of the one at walmart and it has the 3.4ghz processor not the 1.8ghz....
here is a link in case you are looking....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-745-Desktop-Intel-Pentium-D-3-4GHz-4GB-160GB-Windows-XP-/321504920060?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4adb2fc1fc
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:05:48 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:11 pm »
jeez that is crazy that linux would cost more!!! actually now you guys are having me reconsider.
ok this is basically what i want a small desktop with at least 500 gigs, im thinking more ram (because i do
music recording basically i record ambient guitar music although when i record i only run my simple
set up of rakarak and audacity which prob does not use a lot of ram anyway) i really want something under
300 dollars just due to my budget. If anyone can recommend something smoething refurbished would be fine
i just want something a little newer being mine i believe is from 2007-2008 id like something with in the last
year or 2. and course the goal in mind is to run only peppermint 5 os as my operating system. so any advice
would be great