Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint OS re-spin for UMPCs  (Read 272 times)

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Peppermint OS re-spin for UMPCs
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:52:59 am »
Hi, all, I hope I am not asking for too much. Is it possible to make a Peppermint OS spin for ultraportable laptops such as GPD Pocket 2.
There is an Ubuntu Mate spin designed for the UMPCs, and it would be great if there were a Peppermint OS spin for them too.
https://ubuntu-mate.org/umpc/
Thank you in advance.
XVC

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint OS re-spin for UMPCs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:05:40 am »
Have you tired simply installing Peppermint 10, then running the umpc-ubuntu.sh script from here
https://github.com/wimpysworld/umpc-ubuntu
?

Or won't Peppermint 10 install at all ?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:10:24 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:15:32 am »
Hi, PCNetSpec, I have not tried it yet. I am not even sure how to run the script.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:11 am »
If Pep 10 installs and runs on the thing (and has an active internet connection), open a terminal and run:
Code: [Select]
wget https://github.com/wimpysworld/umpc-ubuntu/blob/master/umpc-ubuntu.sh
then
chmod +x ./umpc-ubuntu.sh
then
sudo ./umpc-ubuntu.sh
then reboot.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:27:44 pm »
Hi, PCNetSpec,

I am getting my GPD Pocket 2 today. I will try to install Peppermint 10 resin on it along with the script following your instructions. An USB stick with Peppermint 10 resin live is already made.

I hope it works, keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for developing such a great OS - I enjoy it very much.

XVC

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 03:11:43 pm »
Cool, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too .. good luck :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:56 pm »
Hi, guys,

I've finally got my GPD Pocket 2 ultra-mobile PC (UPMC) and have successfully installed Linux on it.

First, this is an amazing device - its size is between iPhone Plus and iPad mini. It is very portable. With an m3 processor, it is fast enough, has a good keyboard, an optical mouse, and touch-screen that works under Linux.

I tried running Peppermint OS 10-respin on this device, and I will post some screenshot after I figure out how to do it.

I tried to run  the script that was mentioned to me in the previous posts but it returned an error message

umpc-ubuntu.sh: Syntax error: newline unexpected.

What works:

1. installation is flawless
2. it is easy to rotate the screen 90 degree to the right
3. optical trackball or optical mouse - whatever you call it - works well
4. all updates and upgrades install with no problem
5. Peppermint OS 10-respin uses only 413 MB of RAM which is very impressive
6. the keyboard works as expected
7. Font adjustment for HiDPI works like a charm - I've set it to 200 and all the menus were easy to read

What does not work:

1. Login screen is still rotated
2. Touch-screen is inaccurate - I suspect that the touch aspect of the screen is still rotated
3. I could not change the size of the title bars - all the titles of the windows were chopped off due to the increased size of the fonts
4. The sizes of the "Close," "Minimize," and "Maximize" buttons on the windows did not change when I increased the fonts - they were so tiny that it was very hard to click them.

If someone is interested in seeing the screenshots, I can send them via email. I would also appreciate if that person posts them on this forum.

The screenshots are taken with the Live OS running of the USB but I confirm that I did full install to the hard drive.

I suspect that if the script is correctly run (see some previous posts on this thread) most of these issue would be addressed.

I ended up installing Ubuntu Mate 19.10 that is specifically tweaked for this device. It works out of the box with very few exceptions.

For example, some of the dialog windows are bigger than the screen of the device and those dialog windows are not scrollable. I needed to temporarily turn off the scaling, enter the required info into all the fields in the dialog windows, and then turn on the scaling again. This needed to be done with setting up additional keyboard layouts and with setting the Telegram.

Everything else worked well. Idle RAM usage under Ubuntu Mate is around 800 MB which is twice as much as with Peppermint OS 10.

The bottom line is that GPD Pocket 2 (m3 processor, RAM=8 GB, SSD=128 GB):

1. very well-built
2. very portable
3. works on Ubuntu Mate 19.10 out of the box
4. would work perfectly on Peppermint OS 10 if someone knows how to fix those few issues mentioned above
5. ideal travel companion for those who do not want Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, or Google.

Happy New Year to everyone!

I hope someone has knowledge and skills and would address those few issues - unfortunately, I do not know how to do it - otherwise I would.

PS Please let me know how to post screenshots and I will post them.

XVC
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:06:35 am by xvc »