Author Topic: Weird Etcher Error  (Read 701 times)

Offline Sn33x

• -Sx-
    • View Profile
    • CCSH
  • Peppermint version(s): Forever 9!
Weird Etcher Error
« on: November 21, 2019, 02:54:35 am »
Hey :)  I am -Sx- (aka Bill the Cat) and I have edited this question for focus and I am still evaluating PeppermintOS -

...  when I ran Etcher I keep seeing ( I truncated the log output because it was long and replicated anyhow) -- Error output -
sysadmin@mint ~/Downloads/Etcher 1.5.x $ sudo . balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImage
sudo: .: command not found
sysadmin@mint ~/Downloads/Etcher 1.5.x $ sudo su
root@mint:/home/sysadmin/Downloads/Etcher 1.5.x# . balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImage
bash: .: balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImage: cannot execute binary file
root@mint:/home/sysadmin/Downloads/Etcher 1.5.x# ./balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImage
Checking for update
Generated new staging user ID: dca813f3-606a-5bf1-8950-342753192d6b
ready-to-show: 21173.585ms
Update for version 1.5.63 is not available (latest version: 1.5.63, downgrade is disallowed).
Error creating proxy: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:” (g-io-error-quark, 13)
Error creating proxy: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:” (g-io-error-quark, 13)
Gtk-Message: 05:27:03.291: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(balena-etcher-electron:20948): dconf-WARNING **: 05:27:03.906: failed to commit changes to dconf: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

... editted out ...

So It works but generates a bunch of 'disabled' notices -- is that because it is trying to 'phone' home"  It can, but I am currently unTarring a 1.5 TeraByte file so it isn't as fast as normal ><

Thx/Bill

UPDATE - I appreciate the replies, I will look at those Thanks :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:47:20 pm by Sn33x »
... beep ...  computers are like little kids - you have to always tell them what to do ><

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Weird Etcher Error
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 04:31:59 am »
Is using Etcher the only option? What I mean is, is that Peppermint has Linux Mint's USB writer and formatter and that works really well. The formatter will format to read only Fat 32 and the writer will write, with EFI or UEFI. Your Etcher problem could be a corrupt download or anything, but I have found a site that has github version and a write up too if it helps? https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/how-to-install-etcher-on-ubuntu
By the way Welcome to the Forums Sn33x  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:45:09 pm »
Hi Sn33x,

Since we prefer that each issue be given its own thread and (descriptive) title, could you please move your first issue to a separate thread (perhaps with a title such as "Replacing initial sys admin with a new sys admin") ??  ;)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:57:28 pm »
I'm gonna guess the reason the etcher appimage wouldn't run was because you never marked it as executable (and possibly because you then compounded the issue by attempting to run it with elevated privileges).

Remember all binary executables like appimages will have their execute bit disabled when they are downloaded .. you will need to manually re-enable the execute bit with say:
Code: [Select]
cd "~/Downloads/Etcher 1.5"then
chmod +x ./balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImagethen you should be able to run it simply by double-clicking on it, or from the commandline with
./balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImageno need to run it as root .. in fact appimages are designed to be run in userspace so likely should not be run as root.

A word of advice - best not to use whitespaces in directory or file names - such as your Etcher 1.5 folder - whitespaces will cause you problems in the CLI requiring you to work around them, Etcher_1.5 would have been a better foldername ;)

If you're still having problems with Etcher
mkdir ~/Downloads/Etcher_1.5then
cd ~/Downloads/Etcher_1.5then
wget https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.5.63/balena-etcher-electron-1.5.63-linux-x64.zipthen
unzip balena-etcher-electron-1.5.63-linux-x64.zipthen
chmod +x ./balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImagethen to run it
./balenaEtcher-1.5.63-x64.AppImage
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:10:33 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec