Choose style:

Author Topic: alternate browsers...  (Read 10538 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: alternate browsers...
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:47 am »
Wait, they actually got around to fixing Opera sync?  That's good to know.  It's been broken for ages.  Though, the last time I tried Opera was sometime last year, and they didn't even have the newer version available for Linux.  It was stuck on 12, or something like that.  It's nice to see they finally have something newer available.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 08:54:01 pm »
I'm also happy to hear that Opera sync has worked for sanguinemoon.  Unfortunately it has never worked for me. :(
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 10:57:28 pm »
I was using it for a while, but I never really liked it as well as Firefox or Chrome.  Though, I don't necessarily like Chrome that well, I only use it for the up to date flash player.   ::)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 09:05:30 pm »
I have never used Opera... still sticking closely with Chromium and Seamonkey... Chromium's synching works, Seamonkey's Synch has been broken for a long while because of some change in Firefox code that will never work with Seamonkey... i still don't care for Firefox... 
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 10:58:25 pm »
I almost forgot about Seamonkey.  I used that for a while.  I'd probably still be using it if not for the whole flash plugin thing.

Offline facucsok

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 Seven
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »
If you look for Opera ( 40 v. ) you have to download it right from Softpedia .com,, And If you want Flash running you must Install PepperFlash / FreshPlayer (Plugins)
I don't know why FIrefox comes pre-installed (P-mint case) ? Maybe S-monkey, Qupzilla, Opera, Midori, But why firefox ??
  :P

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 02:53:07 pm »
Hi facusok,

Welcome to the Forums.

Why would you download software from a secondary source when you can get it direct from the developer ?
https://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/06/life-begins-40-opera-developer-goes-40-today/ Links on that page to download the software from Opera.

Why Firefox??  Maybe it's because Team Peppermint spent months and months fine tuning the OS until they got it just right.  Maybe it's because it works with out very own ICE application and the othes don't.

Not happy with the default choice... install something else. That is the beauty of Linux, you are not tied down to just one choice in software.
and please, out of curteosy, can you reduce the font size you are using.  It looks an awful lot like Shouting which is not polite ;)

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 03:14:31 pm »
Why Firefox ? .. because we chose to.

A better approach might have been to state why you thought Firefox was the wrong choice .. we may have been more willing to listen, but just stating your displeasure in all bold and in multiple postings then running tells us nothing and comes across as a childish tantrum.

Particularly after your other little 'display'
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3742.msg38483.html#msg38483

Three duplicate posts removed.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 03:23:42 pm »
Just in case anybody is interested in the old Netscape style intergrated browser/e'mail/irc client anymore... I thought I'd let y'all know I've recently begun playing around in the nightly development releases of Seamonkey... currently sitting at SM 2.49a1 ... leading up to a much delayed SM 2.50 release.

All is working as normal in my two installs, no bugs found yet, thought the integrated calendar addon Lightning won't land until the a2, a3 or a4 release.

If y'all like playing with these, the link is here:

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/nightly/latest-comm-central-trunk/

Scroll to the bottom to find the most recent nightly related to your particualr needs. As Always back up any Mozilla profiles you have before playing with nightlies... YMMV...

Now just need to search my past posts on the subject to remind myself how to add an Icon to the lower left task bar, preferably between Firefox & File Manager, as I keep ending up on the far right  :-\
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:25:38 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 04:43:13 pm »
It *will* appear on the far right, you then right-click the panel and go to

panel > preferences > items (tab)

Highlight the new launcher (probably at the bottom of the  list), then click the arrow buttons to move it up/down the list .. you'll see it move on the panel as you do this.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »
That's what I thought would happen intuitively... but no Seamonkey Icon has ever appeared for me in that manner...

Earlier I noticed that I could right click on the executable and select "open with another application" then I chose "create Launcher on panel" but I never found any SM launcher anywhere...

Reminder: this is a first of 4 release candidate builds...

Then again, this never worked for me when I attempted it with the last full release SM 2.40...

So I gave up and set up the PPA for this laptop that I'm sending back to Mom in exchange for a newer laptop that I'll need to triage. Really don't need to be explaining too much linux to her and she'll automagically get the update whenever it lands in the UbuntuzillaPPA 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:12:26 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook