Choose style:

Author Topic: alternate browsers...  (Read 10539 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
alternate browsers...
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:14:02 am »
Wondering what browsers people prefer these days? Due to the slowness and sludge buildup in my preferred Seamonkey & Chromium combo, I recently reinstalled Firefox... which I quit using back whenever it was still Firefox 4... weary of the frenetic pace of "updates"... Its definitely speedier than its unloved sibling Seamonkey, but its already annoying me too...

I've never used Chrome, but had become comfortable in Chromium... after playing around in [not really anymore secure] SWare Iron for a wee bit.

Seamonkey will always been a default of mine as i need the e'mail compoent, but the browser moves like molasses anymore on...

I played around with Debian's default browser Epiphany while I was using peppermint3, was quite speedy, but it crashed way too frequently.

Typing this now from within, a new to me browser called, Qupzilla... which I'm willing to play with for a while...

hmmm got my first error message in Qupzilla (your browser; Apple Safari 4 is out of date...) hmmmm

Thoughts? Discussions?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:32:47 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: alternate browsers...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
Tried Iceweasel / Icedove / Iceowl ?

Or GNU's Icecat

Or the chromium based Maxthon

Urgh!!! .. Epiphany :o <-- closest smily I could find to one being sick
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:29:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:30 pm »
Tried Iceweasel / Icedove / Iceowl ?

[...] Maxthon

Same here.

The only browser I've been using, lately, in Peppermint is Iceweasel. 

I'm dizzily smitten by this trio (browser/mail client/calendar).

Can't remember the last time I used Maxthon.  I don't have anything against it, but...    :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:00:51 am »
1)  QupZilla appears to be an up-an-coming browser these days.  QupZilla is open source, based off of WebKit, and is supposed to have combined some of the best features of Chrome with some of the best feature of Firefox. Trusted user Slim-Fatz is the one who turned Peppermint forum onto QupZilla, and I believe he uses it as his default browser.  It is known to be light and fast.  QupZilla is pronounced cup-zil-la, and it is the default browser of newly released 4MLinux 9.1. Obviously, the team at 4MLinux sees Qupzilla as a winner.  But, for more about this browser, I'd check with Slim.Fatz.

2)  Maxthon browser for Linux is one heck of a good browser.  I can attest to that.  Maxthon takes security and privacy very seriously.  They have a zero tolerance policy on spam.  The downside of Maxthon is that their forum can feel a little pinched.  They have a banned words policy in their fourm, allegedly because they are trying to fight spam.  The upside of Maxthon forum is that it is very civil.  I befriended an insider there that is recognized tester for Maxthon on the Windows side of the ledger.  He told me the staff there was not large enough to be prepared for Maxthon's worldwide popularity, so they are running on all cylinders to keep up with demand.  Maxthon is a Chinese browser that has become international, and is headquartered in Beijing, China.

Here's what Karl Mattson, the company's vice president has to say about security and privacy at Maxthon: http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-3695-1-1.html

Maxthon gives you the md5 hash for your download.  Maxthon is based on Chromium and other open source software.

3)  Opera Browser for Linux is more like the old Opera of years past.  That means they haven't destroyed it yet!  They also have started a new forum.  In my opinion their old forum was patrolled by trolls, so I'm glad they got rid of it.  I had such a negative experience with their old forum that I made a password for myself for Opera forum that I can't even recover!  I just don't want to go back.  That being said, if you like the old Opera browser, it still exists for Linux.  I consider myself to be an Opera refugee who migrated to Maxthon.

4)  Midori and Konqueror are two open source browsers for Linux.  I don't have enough knowledge, or experience, with them other than to say they should be on your radar too.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:02:57 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:18:41 am »
I've been using QupZilla for a couple of months as my backup browser.  I have to say, I've never seen a browser this fast.  I don't think Links is as quick.  The "speed dial" is very similar to Opera and is stupid quick.  Flash is disabled by default.  That's good.  It is really a nice lightweight browser.  It seems to have everything you need and nothing you don't.   Download it and check it out.  Its in the repos.
Code: [Select]
apt install qupzilla

This is my "dark themed" QupZilla Speed Dial.

;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:44 pm »
Thanks for all the input folks!!!  I have been pretty pleased with Qupzilla, but not taken enough to upload my bookmarks just yet. Just tried to install iceweasel and was told it was gonna update firefox instead... so i guess i'll ditch Firefox again for a while...

Hmmm deleted Firefox 32 (ugh) and tried once again to install iceweasel, and was once again told it would be installing Firefox, so I aborted...

I knew there was a forgotten reason I've been avoiding Maxthon (made in China)...

I had Midori for a short while in peppermint3 as well, wasn't impressed, but may give it a spin again... 

EDIT so the iceweasel/ape/owl etc are debian products... integrating into peppermint a problem?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:16:22 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:56:48 pm »
Spence, I wasn't trying to raise a red flag for you when I mentioned Maxthon for Linux!  :D

All kidding aside, Maxthon for Linux works very well.  In fact, it's one of the best browsers I've ever used with Linux, and it is considered to be one of the top five browsers in the world according to Browser Choice EU.

http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_en.htm

This is what Maxthon for Linux says about itself on its About page:

Maxthon is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.
-- Maxthon Ltd.

And here's what Karl Mattson, the Vice President of Maxthon, says about Maxthon's dedication to security and privacy.  This essay, or article, came out after the Edward Snowden leaks became public.  I believe what Karl Mattson says here should be taken seriously.

http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-3695-1-1.html

The trick to remember for Maxthon is when you're dealing with its Settings configuration.  You have to know to remove the mx before pressing Enter if you want to go deeper into Maxthon's settings.   Example:   Change mx://mxsettings/  to  mx://settings before pressing Enter. Then you'll then be right at home with Maxthon.  It's really Chrome and Chromium on the insides, but with a wonderful user interface on the outside -- with all the add-ons from Google's Chrome Store I might add, as well as a way to check the MD5 hash.  It even has the same dependencies as Chrome during installation.

Well, these are good things to know about Maxthon for Linux, even if you decide that Maxthon is not your cup of tea.  I just don't think most people are aware of these aspects of Maxthon which are making this browser so appealing to so many users.  Many people just hear China and run away, but there is a deeper narrative running through the story of Maxthon browser worthy of consideration.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:09:38 pm by perknh »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:09:06 pm »
"Made In China"  is [red flag / backdoor ] reason enough for me to stay away from Maxthon, just as "made by google" is why I never use Chrome... although I suppose I'm taking my chances with my [less and less frequent] use of chromium...

Anyway, wouldn't you know, the team working on  Seamonkey released 2.29  a few days ago, after choosing to abort 2.27 and 2.28 due to numerous irreconcilable code compile problems... and its regained its former speeds... happy camper here
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:15:47 pm »
Hello, Spence,

I had to change this post!  Maxthon for Linux isn't working well for us Linuxites now.

It's not syncing our Chrome bookmarks, apps, extensions, settings, themes, etc.

There seems to be an issue between China and Google.  It appears to me that Maxthon for Linux finds itself in the middle of this struggle whether it wants to be or not -- and, right now, the sync function within Maxthon is not working.

Here's what going on according to the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/business/international/china-clamps-down-on-web-pinching-companies-like-google.html?ref=technology&_r=0

I reported the issue to Maxthon too.

http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-12936-1-1.html

So, for the time being, I'm back to using Chrome and Firefox in Peppermint until Maxthon can sort this one out.

Spence, now you can say to me, "See, perknh, I told you so!"  ;)

perknh

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:35:25 pm by perknh »

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 02:43:55 am »
i mostly use firefox 32 i'm very happy with it. I use chrome for netflix only and chromium for the SSB with ice (for quick access) but most of the time
im using firefox.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »
Have tried, Opera, Safari, Chromium, Midori, Google Chrome, IE 5/6/7/8/9/10 [due to being part of the OS, bad move Bill G]  :D
and always fell back on my safety net of Mozilla Firefox (my choice due to experience and knowledge of this browser since approx 2000 the early days)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:25:21 pm »
Ditto .. except for IE9 and 10 (havne't really used Windows on my own PC's for a while now).

To tell the truth I've stopped looking at other browsers and just default to Firefox every time :)

I do keep Chrome orChromium installed though .. for ICE and its SSB's to work.
( I *really* wish FF would add an "--app" switch like Chrome/Chromium .. or bring back prism)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:27:36 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »
Hi acer, have you tried. Qupzilla: http://www.qupzilla.com/.  It is very light, very secure and it goes like a "Bat Out Of Hell" to quote Meatloaf.  I use it as my backup browser.  Its in the repos.
Code: [Select]
apt install qupzilla -y
;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 01:45:47 am »
Hello one and all, appreciate the extra commentary while I've been out of the loop... Haven't really had any issues to triage in quite a while... but had an issue to fix and a reason to come back here to refresh my memory earlier today.

I did install Firefox32 in that last round of browser hopping... deleted it the next day... As for Maxthon, still not interested... but glad others like it... personally, i've elected to quit syncing anything... don't want to store anything on anyone else's servers... Seamonkey's synch has been broken for a long while... I find I'm not missing it... Somedays i wish there were a way to wipe/permanently delete what I used to allow it to sync, guess I'll have to trust that what i stored has long ago been overwritten since they are not repairing the sync capability to SM...

I keep trying to use Qupzilla, and am always reverting to Seamonkey to download photos or files since Qupz crashes or throws out "can't write..." errors.  No need for anyone to offer advice here, I'll bring it up in another new thread next time it happens...

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 04:09:26 pm »
Ditto .. except for IE9 and 10 (havne't really used Windows on my own PC's for a while now).

To tell the truth I've stopped looking at other browsers and just default to Firefox every time :)

I do keep Chrome orChromium installed though .. for ICE and its SSB's to work.
( I *really* wish FF would add an "--app" switch like Chrome/Chromium .. or bring back prism)

is it possible on the next peppermint respin to add firefox to the ice application or like you said does it need prism for that to happen?
if i could firefox to do SSB's i would probably remove chromium at least from my system (i sadly need chrome for nerflix hopefully it will
work in firefox in the near future) id like to just use firefox for everything i tried many browsers and firefox seems to work best on my system
and from what i gather (At least on my system) it uses less CPU memory than chrom and chromium, opera on the other hand seems to be the lightest
but it has many flaws and seems to be no longer worked on so firefox it is.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ