Choose style:

Author Topic: Can't choose partition for installation  (Read 1111 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Can't choose partition for installation
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 07:04:30 am »
You've set no root (/) mountpoint .. so the OS doesn't know where to install itself.

In your picture .. select /dev/sda8 .. click the "Change" button .. and set:-

Mountpoint: /
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 08:07:00 am »
Okay - I created an Imgur acc. and managed to put up a screenshot of the error msg.
How do I tell where my root file system is?

Thanx

You also have the device for Boot Loader installation set incorrectly.  It's currently pointing to the USB and needs to point to the HD -  Assuming you have an sda1 which is an efi partition with boot flags set - make that section point to /dev/sda

otherwise point it to /dev/sda8

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 08:36:54 am »
Zeb is right (sorry I missed that) .. according to your earlier fdisk output you DO have a /dev/sda1 (EFI System) partition, so (as Zeb suggests) as well as setting the mountpoint for /dev/sda8 (as in my last posting), also set

Device for boot loader installation: /dev/sda
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:39:02 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 10:43:33 am »
Hi RTCarman,

After you get the above issue sorted out and everything is running well, then you can read my tutorial about why and how to set up and use a separate DATA partition. I (as well as many others) strongly advise you to set up and use a separate DATA partition.  ;)

If you have questions about the tutorial, please ask them in the tutorial thread (not here in this thread).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:05 pm »
Well, I thank you all for your input. This has been a real learning experience.
I obviously have to learn a lot more about the Peppermint Linux file system. I thought all the data for each distro is saved right on the partition for that distro. That's why I make my partitions so big. I'm into photography and videography - and so I make my partitions big enough to hold all that stuff. So, I am not sure why DATA drives and SWAP drives are needed. Also, it would be good if the P10 installation partition manager showed as much info as GParted.
Anyway, the snag I run into now is that I get the message

"No Root File System is defined. Please correct this from the Partitioning Menu."

My system boots up and gives me a choice of Peppermint or Windows. Therefore I must have a Root File System, right?

Thanks again for the help.

You are correct that your data, Documents, Downloads, Videos, Music and Pictures get stored in each distro. So something you do in P 8, for instance, will only be visible in P 8. And if something should happen to P 8 that can't be fixed and a reinstall is necessary, you lose everything if it wasn't already backed up. With a DATA partition, you don't have to worry about that. If you have P 8 and P 10, or any other distro's home folders symlinked to a DATA partition, you will have everything available to you whether you made it in P 8 or P 10. So you are isolating your files from the distro which is super advantageous. When I first started with Peppermint, I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, still don't for that matter, and screwed my system up a few times. Since learning about a DATA partition and also about Timeshift, I don't worry about that anymore. I do keep my files backed up because you never know when a hard drive is going to fail. Hope that helps.
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 03:28:25 pm »
As promised, here is the short tutorial video

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=9040.new#new

Regards Zeb...

That should clear up a lot of confusion. I think you should have thrown in an additional bonus of how to display an extra large output that won't fit in spoiler. I can never remember what that website is that's usually referred to here.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 05:36:43 am »
There are a number out there

Pastebin is the one I usually use

https://pastebin.com/

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:52:17 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 01:46:44 pm »
There are a number out there

Pasetbin is the one I usually use

https://pastebin.com/

Regards Zeb...

Thanks Zeb, I think pastebin is the one I see most here.
What was I thinking?

Offline RTCarman

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): OS7
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:09 pm »
As usual, you people can be counted on for helpful suggestions. Thank you.  I'm going to enter into aself-training program on GParted and Linux HDD systems. The reason I was trying to put P10 on my main computer was for sound. I installed a new sound card (Soundblaster Zx) and couldn't get sound in my Peppermint OS 8 anymore. This machine, however, has all of my Windows 7 and 10 data from the past 7 yrs. Yes, it is backed up... mostly. Still, I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to fooling around with the HDD structure too much. Things are working pretty good with P8 now, except for the sound. I think I'll get a USB DAC that I can just plug in when I run P8.  The soundcard works great in Win 10.
I have installed P10 on two of my other computers without too much trouble... and it is alongside some other distros. I think I'll take one computer and just fool around with GParted and redoing the HDD setup alot. I have to build up some confidence in working with it all.
Thanks for all your time and input. I have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks also for the video links. They helped considerably also. Well, goota go.
Bye for now - Rich
"Be well, be safe, and be happy."

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
I'm going to enter into aself-training program on GParted and Linux HDD systems. The reason I was trying to put P10 on my main computer was for sound. I installed a new sound card (Soundblaster Zx) and couldn't get sound in my Peppermint OS 8 anymore.

I was on the hunt for a Sound Blaster Audigy Rx, a while back; but, while I was searching for a smoking deal, I discovered that the general consensus is - the Sound Blaster Z runs circles around the Audigy Rx. So, I put the whole idea on the back burner for the meantime. Got too many irons in the fire, to play around with audio right now.

Anyway, if you get your Blaster Z working, let us know what you did.

And, yes, getting comfortable with GParted is well worth the effort. Personally, I spend more time partitioning a drive in advance, the way I want it, than I do installing PM.

Put another way, when I do a fresh install, all of my effort goes into partitioning the drive(s) correctly PRIOR to installing the operationg system(s). Installing PM, itself, is almost an afterthought   ;)