Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint OS on ARM (Raspberry Pi)  (Read 571 times)

Offline XanderKeith

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 10
Peppermint OS on ARM (Raspberry Pi)
« on: November 10, 2019, 09:35:36 pm »
Hello, I am building Peppermint OS for the Raspberry Pi 3B / 3B+ / 4B I would like some comments or suggestions about Raspberry Pi specific features that you want to be included and/or packages, currently I have the image as an exact replica (besides a few packages of coarse) Also, I just want to make sure I am not validating the license. Thanks

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint OS on ARM (Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 09:55:43 pm »
Hmm .. using our artwork and name/branding (and/or Ray Bilcliff's wallpapers which he holds the copyright to) certainly would be copyright/trademark infringement.

If you're using those things maybe you could submit it to us for evaluation (?) .. if it's good enough (and it would have to undergo stringent testing) we may want to work together to release it officially. If you don't want to go to those lengths, we'd appreciate it if you didn't use our name and artwork (and sought permission to use Ray's images from him) .. it would be unfair (not to mention illegal) if it ended up hurting our reputation because people thought it was an official spin.

Reputation for quality is super important to us .. hope you understand :)

Out of interest, are you rebuilding our packages for arm on launchpad, or just manually modifying another image ?

Any software we release, such as the control panels and ICE you are of course free to use (within the limits of the GPL) .. but artwork, name/branding, and Rays images are off limits without express written permission.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:07:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline XanderKeith

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 10
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 06:28:35 pm »
Thanks I am not great will legal matters, I have removed the wallpapers and logos though I am still removing references. This project is far from stable, It does boot to the desktop but will crash after a few minuets. I am using modified packages from Raspbian and the rest are cross compiled. I have built my own Ubuntu based distro, though I am still new to this. I would love to work with you guys. Would it be OK to message you more info? Or someone who I can contact. All the code and tools are on my computer though I critically out of space. I am out of time I will write more later on this later. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:30:11 pm by XanderKeith »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 10:21:17 pm »
Sure...

mark@peppermintos.com

We won't be able to spend much time on this until the new year though .. we'll likely be busy with the Peppermint 10 respin and post release until then.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec