Author Topic: Disable touchpad while typing  (Read 395 times)

Offline hlaubs

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10.0
Disable touchpad while typing
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:30 am »
Good day everybody. I am new to Peppermint but has been distro-hopping for the pas 18 months. Peppermint ticks all the right boxes so far, so hopefully I  can now settle down. It will be like getting married  :). One itch that I need to scratch urgently is the fact that I cannot find a setting that disables the touchpad while I am typing, like I could do in a number of other distros. It really is a thorn in my side to find I am typing in the wrong area because my palm moved the mouse  >:(
Is it possible? Thanks in advance for the help.
Edit: I am running v10.0 on a Lenovo Ideapad 110 laptop with 4Gb Ram and Intel graphics.
        This article seems to address the issue but just looking at the instructions make my hair fall out: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1239.msg88233.html#msg88233.  Some other distros have an option in the hardware settings to disable the touchpad while typing. Simple.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:07:50 am by hlaubs »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Disable touchpad while typing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:25:40 pm »
Okay there **is** a hidden GUI for this,, the reason it's hidden is some other settings in the dialog may interfere with other parts of Peppermint .. and this functionality will eventually get added to the Peppermint Control Center.

Anyway, I'm about to give you a command to open the utility, but please ONLY change the touchpad setting .. nothing else.

Open a terminal and run:
Code: [Select]
xfce4-mouse-settingsNow on the 'Devices' tab (at the top), half way down you'll see a 'Touchpad' tab, select that.

Now you can check/tick "Disable touchpad whilst typing" .. and set the 'Duration' the keyboard stays inactive.

WARNING:- Don't mess with other settings in there.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec