Author Topic: After Installing Peppermint (SOLVED)  (Read 2770 times)

Offline RootFox

• Newly Subscribed
  • Just Curious
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
After Installing Peppermint (SOLVED)
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:10:18 pm »
Hi , I ve just installed Peppermint os on my laptop , nd i really love it ...  :D
I just wanna know wut are the most important things to do after installing it , nd what tweaks i should do ..
Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:05:38 am by RootFox »
Creativity In Madness ...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: After Installing Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:31:19 pm »
Hi RootFox how's it going :)?  I suggest you simply follow the instructions in this link: 10 things to do first in Peppermint 8.  There is one big exception in the things to do list.  We strongly suggest you do not change the update settings as described in the section: Disable automatic updates for the kernel.  This is a Linux Mint update policy, not a PeppermintOS update policy.  As stated in the tutorial, we do use the Linux Mint Update Manager.  However, it is not linked to the Linux Mint repos.  It's linked to the Ubuntu repos.  Changing the settings may cause issues and diagnostic complications down the line  ;).  For the rest, simple work through the list as they apply to you and your machine.  If you have any questions about the tweaks, ask here for advice - good luck and have fun ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline RootFox

• Newly Subscribed
  • Just Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:53:17 pm »
Hi RootFox how's it going :)?  I suggest you simply follow the instructions in this link: 10 things to do first in Peppermint 8.  There is one big exception in the things to do list.  We strongly suggest you do not change the update settings as described in the section: Disable automatic updates for the kernel.  This is a Linux Mint update policy, not a PeppermintOS update policy.  As stated in the tutorial, we do use the Linux Mint Update Manager.  However, it is not linked to the Linux Mint repos.  It's linked to the Ubuntu repos.  Changing the settings may cause issues and diagnostic complications down the line  ;).  For the rest, simple work through the list as they apply to you and your machine.  If you have any questions about the tweaks, ask here for advice - good luck and have fun ;).

Thanks alot for that , Can u suggest some great tweaks ? i wd love that advice ^^

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »

Thanks alot for that , Can u suggest some great tweaks ? i wd love that advice ^^

They're basically all in the first link I provided.  The most important one is reducing your swappiness setting.  The default is 60.  This is waaaay too high for a desktop machine.  Great for servers though.  If you're using an SSD reduce it to 1.  If you're still using a "spinner", reduce it to between 5 and 105 is usually fine.  Never use a 0 value.  First read the advice in the tutorial.  If you're using an SSD, try the tweaks in this link: how to optimize your Solid State Drive.  Instead of using the advice in the section: Still relevant for Linux Mint 18.x: select your TRIM method, use the advice contained in this link: What tweaks make to get the best out of an SSD .  The script that PCNetSpec has written with the logging works like a charm  ;).

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:58:57 pm »
Hi, RootFox, I just thought of another tweak/installation modification.  I think this one is very important and extremely useful  ;).  I recommend it to all Linux users, not just Pepperminteers  ;D.  It's creating a separated /DATA partition and using symlinks.  It makes upgrading to a new version of Peppermint really simple.  You can also use it to share /DATA with Windows in a dual boot machine.  It also allows you to do a bit of, "distro hopping" without the problem of conflicts caused by mixing different Linux versions.  This is very cool indeed  ;)

Our trusted user: Slim.Fatz has written a splendid tutorial on how to make this modification: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition.  This is one of the first thing I do with every Linux installation.  It really is so useful and time saving.  It's a really fun and easy to do project too.  You'll see immediate results.  If you are dual booting, I use the contents in this link from the gang over at, Linux Mint to supplement the one, Slim.Fatz has provided: HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition.  Once you've done this mod a couple of times, it almost become a reflex action - have fun  ;)!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:01:11 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline RootFox

• Newly Subscribed
  • Just Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:05:01 am »
Hi, RootFox, I just thought of another tweak/installation modification.  I think this one is very important and extremely useful  ;).  I recommend it to all Linux users, not just Pepperminteers  ;D.  It's creating a separated /DATA partition and using symlinks.  It makes upgrading to a new version of Peppermint really simple.  You can also use it to share /DATA with Windows in a dual boot machine.  It also allows you to do a bit of, "distro hopping" without the problem of conflicts caused by mixing different Linux versions.  This is very cool indeed  ;)

Our trusted user: Slim.Fatz has written a splendid tutorial on how to make this modification: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition.  This is one of the first thing I do with every Linux installation.  It really is so useful and time saving.  It's a really fun and easy to do project too.  You'll see immediate results.  If you are dual booting, I use the contents in this link from the gang over at, Linux Mint to supplement the one, Slim.Fatz has provided: HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition.  Once you've done this mod a couple of times, it almost become a reflex action - have fun  ;)!

Looks amazing, im gonna try all this  , Thanks alot for all ur help  :D ;D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: After Installing Peppermint (SOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:23 pm »
Yeah, the user created /DATA partition is really mega cool, especially if you've dual disk/SSD machine.  Although it's not necessary to reap the benefits.  I've one laptop with a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.  I've divided up the SSD, so I can have 3 distros installed if I want.  Each one with a, /root partition and a small /home partition.  I think each of them is only 12GB, even that's probably too big.  The 1TB HDD has all my data stored in folders/directories: Doc, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, Podcasts etc.  Anything I consider to be important.  They're all linked to my /home folders on the SSD via symlinks.  I also have my SWAP space on the HDD.  There's a lot more space to spare on the 1TB drive.  It also keeps it off the SSD  ;).  It's a really cool setup and works an absolute treat too  ;).  I have a Xubuntu 16.04/SparkyLinux Xfce laptop set up similarly with two SSDs, a 60GB and a 240GB.  Both distros sharing the /DATA partition.  That also works like a charm.  Technically, you could have the /DATA partition on a remote server somewhere if you wanted.  I think this mod is such a cool thing to do.  Linux is great because you can easily configure it just the way you want it ;).

Offline RootFox

• Newly Subscribed
  • Just Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 01:44:26 pm »
Yeah, the user created /DATA partition is really mega cool, especially if you've dual disk/SSD machine.  Although it's not necessary to reap the benefits.  I've one laptop with a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.  I've divided up the SSD, so I can have 3 distros installed if I want.  Each one with a, /root partition and a small /home partition.  I think each of them is only 12GB, even that's probably too big.  The 1TB HDD has all my data stored in folders/directories: Doc, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, Podcasts etc.  Anything I consider to be important.  They're all linked to my /home folders on the SSD via symlinks.  I also have my SWAP space on the HDD.  There's a lot more space to spare on the 1TB drive.  It also keeps it off the SSD  ;).  It's a really cool setup and works an absolute treat too  ;).  I have a Xubuntu 16.04/SparkyLinux Xfce laptop set up similarly with two SSDs, a 60GB and a 240GB.  Both distros sharing the /DATA partition.  That also works like a charm.  Technically, you could have the /DATA partition on a remote server somewhere if you wanted.  I think this mod is such a cool thing to do.  Linux is great because you can easily configure it just the way you want it ;).
yeah i agree , Linux is just so amazing , thats why i decided to stop using windows , im gonna keep dual boot just for my work on adobe Programs , which sadly i cdnt find on linux  :/ but Linux will be my main system , nd i ll do the data partition too , its looks amazing  , thank u alot

The PoorGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:40:39 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 04:24:35 pm »
LOL .. +1 :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 09:53:00 pm »
Hi , I ve just installed Peppermint os on my laptop , nd i really love it ...  :D
I just wanna know wut are the most important things to do after installing it  (snip)
Thanks  :)
The Best thing to do after installing Peppermint and updating Peppermint is to USE Peppermint . :D

100% agree - Use it - it just works
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

The PoorGuy

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 08:53:34 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:40:23 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline raywood

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 06:18:13 pm »
Any chance of updating that list of things to do in Peppermint? The linked page no longer exists, nor does it seem to be in archive.org.

I'd happily start a new thread, but this is the one that came up near the top of a Google search. Presumably others are traveling this same path.