Choose style:

Author Topic: May Switch Win7 Gaming PC to Peppermint  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Snow

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
May Switch Win7 Gaming PC to Peppermint
« on: October 13, 2019, 06:47:59 pm »
Not sure if this is the right section as I'm beginning to collect data on my system, before I officially switch over. My system currently is a Ryzen 2200 CPU running on a Gigabyte B450M-DS3H mobo with an AMD RX570 GPU.

Right now I'm running Peppermint 10 on my little HP Stream 11 and it works flawlessly - installed with no guides, no extra drivers. It's impressively fast and full featured (for what I need). I just installed Steam on it, so I can test out Steam Play and try out some of my low-system-requirement games. My only problem with it so far, is that I can't get Dwarf Fortress running. From what I can tell, it attempts to load a specific library, but then crashes and I can't get enough info from the terminal. Plus, I'm a linux newb (perhaps n00b as well).

Back to my PC. I put it together as a budget gaming PC and according to manufacturer specs from all my components - this system would be Win7 compatible. It is - but it has been the biggest pain (and took 3 weeks) to finally get Win7 64 bit pro running on it. The OS is mostly stable atm. However, I'm still getting the odd out of the blue crash, BSOD, or startup error. I also can't use sleep mode as while it's sleeping - it horrendously crashes.

My partner keeps telling me to upgrade to Win10. I would rather chop off my hands.

On my PC if I boot up a USB image of Peppermint. It runs perfect. Of course, I still need drivers for the card. So I'm thinking I might just format the drive for the umpteenth time and install happiness. So, before I do so, does anyone have any knowledge about Peppermint running on my hardware? Any possible red flags that I might encounter? I'm also really curious about Vulkan, but know little about it at the moment.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any responses. :)

-Snow

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: May Switch Win7 Gaming PC to Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 02:26:57 pm »
I can't say for sure how that would run as I don't have any of the same hardware, I gather that graphics card will work with either the built in amdgpu or the downloadable amdgpu-pro, but 'how well' is anyones guess.

Maybe try Linux out on a LiveUSB first.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec