Author Topic: PulseAudio Died This Morning  (Read 2011 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
PulseAudio Died This Morning
« on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:27 pm »
This is sort of a note-to-self...  :)

I was sitting here, this morning, when PulseAudio suddenly died. It was working fine, until it wasn't:

No amount of coaxing would get it to fire up, on the fly. When I increased the verbosity level:

Code: [Select]
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~ 
╰─$ pulseaudio -v 

I could see the prob (won't bore you with the details). Suffice to say, PulseAudio's config was borked.

Soooo, I nuked the '.config/pulse/' directory in '/home/'; and, sadly rebooted. Prob solved.

Heh! Seems like every time I surpass 100 days of uptime, something happens. I'll try it again  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: PulseAudio Died This Morning
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:09:56 pm »
At least it wasn't me :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 02:31:29 pm »
I know this might seem silly to ppl (unless it has happened to them before) but...

This time of year, I pick up a lot of static as I'm walking shuffling around the abode. I try to remember to ground myself before touching anything computer related; monitors, keyboard, et cetera, but sometimes I forget.

I have a *feeling* that I didn't discharge myself before touching the mouse, this morning.

Why it affected PulseAudio is anybody's guess, but static discharge is nasty on electronics.

Maybe the static charge traveled down my mouse, through the computer, and exited through my external speakers.

When this happens, I usually hear a 'click' or 'pop', but I had just awoke and didn't have a pot of coffee in me yet, so I might have missed it... :))
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:35:53 pm by VinDSL »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:32:25 pm »
weird problems seem to abound at the moment .. someone had an issue where plugging in a second monitor disabled his mouse right-click, WTF :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:44:30 pm »
weird problems seem to abound at the moment .. someone had an issue where plugging in a second monitor disabled his mouse right-click, WTF :-\

That's one of the reasons I prefer using docking stations, for stuff like that. They're relatively cheap, and everything is designed to play well together.

Simply plugging a 2nd monitor into a VGA/HDMI port, and expecting everything to work, is blue-sky thinking IMO.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 03:56:16 pm »
I get that the monitor may not kick in .. but how the heck does it affect the right mouse button, I mean it has nowt to do with USB :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 04:04:32 pm »
I get that the monitor may not kick in .. but how the heck does it affect the right mouse button, I mean it has nowt to do with USB :-\

Bad engineering / poorly designed piggy-backed chipsets  :-\

Who knows?

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »
That's one of the reasons I prefer using docking stations, for stuff like that. They're relatively cheap, and everything is designed to play well together.

This is the docking station/replicator that I use on my Dell Latitude E6430 lappy:  https://is.gd/doNE8V

I didn't pay that much, of course. I patiently waited until I found a smoking deal   :)

Been wanting to buy a Dell port replicator, for my Latitude E6430, since I bought it last year.

I'm very patient when scouting for new 'toys' and had no intention paying full retail price [...]

Last week, I discovered a 48% off Columbus Day Sale coupon at the Dell refurb site. They were normally selling the refurbs for $59.00 USD, but the coupon knocked the price down to $33.07 USD including tax and shipping.

How could I pass up a Dell CY640 docking station for that price?

Patience pays, no?  8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 04:12:36 pm »
Personally I've no need for a dock, I've a desktop for when I want monitors and laptops for when I wanna be a couch potato :)

I'm highly unlikely to ever be at someone else's desk with my laptop.

I might get one at some point anyway though, 'just in case' :)
(but as with you, only if the right deal walks my way)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:14:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 04:15:32 pm »
Personally I've no need for a dock, I've a desktop for when I want monitors and laptops for when I wanna be a couch potato :)

I'm highly unlikely to ever be at someone else's desk with my laptop.

What If you broke your back, and were sitting on the couch, for 10 weeks, in a body cast?   :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 04:27:18 pm »
I can display the main desktop on my TV

or phone the kids and get em to come around and move the desk .. it's about time they gave back :))

And in a full body cast I'm not sure how a dock's gonna help .. interesting thought experiment though .. maybe some kind of airmouse and a VR headset ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 04:33:17 pm »
1st LOL-of-the-day  :))

Thx, for that!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 04:42:48 pm »
Anytime Ke-mo sah-bee :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 07:50:19 pm »
Whew! It's NOT just my imagination...   :)

Static electricity can be a bother when it shocks you unexpectedly, but during the winter months and when working with electronics, the static shocks can become frequent and painful and disastrous if a surprise shock ruins an electronic component. If you are shocked often, take steps to dispel a static charge from your body and prevent yourself from being shocked in the future.

SOURCE: https://is.gd/U70ywn

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:00:59 pm »

In my time on this planet electronically speaking, weird things happen. Have you ever been stumped as to why your computer will do the thing you wanted it to do one day and then not do it the next?? I swear the amount of times I have spent countless hours searching the web for answers, then realize that all it needs is a reboot. For some odd reason little things like this happen, whether it's because something did not boot properly from shutdown? Or our computers are beginning to have a life of their own? Basically in their own way saying,
Code: [Select]
"I'm not going to do that today, because I don't want to."

It's basic common sense to plug a HDMI/VGA cable into your computer to spare monitor before you switch computer on, as for the right mouse button not working, try another USB port? Or keep the mouse unplugged till OS has booted to desktop. It could be a actual mouse problem, depending on the make of the mouse?? Weird things do happen with computers, like when I plug in my microphone into the rear USB 3.0 port my Wired Internet disconnects. So have to use the front USB 3.0 port. Could be too much electrical charge when plugging in Mouse or with my Microphone?? I really get stumped as to the reasons why these things happen to some hardware and not others??  :D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)