Choose style:

Author Topic: Jason Evangelho of Forbes.com and Linux For Everyone takes a look at Pep  (Read 1195 times)

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
Re: Jason Evangelho of Forbes.com and Linux For Everyone takes a look at Pep
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 01:28:53 pm »
How did you miss that .. Zeb nearly always has a Peppermint jacket or T-shirt on, and has Peppermint stickers on the wall behind him :)

Zeb is truly Big Poppa Peppermint!!!!  I am only an imposter.

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 Bit)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 10:16:57 pm »
I thought this was interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/11/05/my-search-for-the-perfect-linux-os-just-ended--with-an-unexpected-surprise/#37718e405cd6

Another fantastic article.  See the wonder of Linux and no matter which OS you use, the power of Free Open Source Software (FOSS) is now better than ever. Years ago and I'm talking years ago, way back when I was just getting into Linux, the software was buggy as hell not so much the stuff included with the Distros, apart from Evolution Mail I had trouble with and proprietary drivers Nvidia anyone? Back then
Code: [Select]
(Words of the day Back then and Back when.)
did not have flat screen Monitors that weigh less than your Grandad.

We had CRT monitors that weighed more than your Granny riding her Harley Davidson.
(I ain't got a Dizzy Egg Man for that.)
Back then Gnome 2 Ubuntu looking like Ubuntu Mate is today, without all the spit and polish. Back then the ISO's were CD size Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 was my first Linux Distro and download size was 729.5MB and back then I had to rely on my brother to download it and set it up for me, as I was in the middle of moving to a caravan or as the Americans like to call Trailer Parks. Everyone looked at us funny and felt sorry for us sense of pity, always asking 

"you must be poor if you live in a caravan"?

Hell no we spent the best three years of our lives living by the seaside and with nature waking you up everyday, pitta patter, pitta patter across the roof. Back then I was smoking near on a hundred roll ups a day and never smoked in the caravan always outside. One particular morning a very cold morning at that, I had my first argument with nature.

We used to put food out, nuts, fat balls, big bird feeders hanging on the trees. Right outside the kitchen door was a drain and on the drain lid we kept a giant netted tray, to put wild nuts, fruit and all sorts. Anyway I was outside having my early morning Rollie when all I could hear above me was this puck puck sound. I turned round, looked up and on all fours staring at me, looking down eye balling me from halfway down the tree trunk was a red squirrel puckering or smacking it's lips together, saying in his own language.
"Get out of the way I want to get to those nuts."

I moved of course and he sat on the drain happily munching on his food, yes I could of said nuts, but thinking about it the thoughts that go through people's minds, innuendoes and the like, we'll stick with food.
So Ubuntu Gnome 2 was my very first taste of Linux and I highly enjoyed it, till it ran out of life and I did not know there were other Linux operating systems and when Ubuntu moved to the Unity desktop I was very upset. In between 10.04 we had 10.10 then onto 11.04 which if I remember correctly was a in between Distro and instead of having Applications Places System across the top left side of the panel, all it had was Places and System I was not a happy chappy at all. My thoughts were what the hell have they done? Even inside the applets menu when you right click the panel and left click add to panel button, my beloved Ubuntu was not the same anymore and when you're used to something  feeling at ease and comfortable using what you used everyday for a year or two, I was just gutted and went back to Windows XP for a while, till one day my brother came round to my place and asked
"Look what I found?" In his hand was a disc a CD shiny case, hmm Shiny. Written across the top was Linux Mint 12.04 I asked
"What is this?" He said
"Linux Mint just like Ubuntu, plus they do other desktops as well." So the rest is history I was back on Linux and I had 12.04 Maya, 14.04 Trusty Tahr all Mate desktops, then one particular day I decided to take a wander through the world of Linux hopping, fell in love with 16.04 Ubuntu Mate, then Peppermint 6 caught my eye, then 7, 8, 9 and finally 10. If there is one thing I've learnt about Linux, is no matter what you use as your daily driver, just have fun.      
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:27:51 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 09:17:05 am »
Yep, the last point still holds true .. if you're not enjoying your distro (or Linux as a whole), switch .. simplez!!! :)

Though there's never been a better time to use Linux.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 01:55:41 pm »
Had to review history... yes, PCNetSpec posted this article on FB and MeWe the same day it appeared here... Now I'm annoyed that Jason found an Asus Vivo Book with 64 GB emmc memory, mine is only 32 GB. I am trying to make myself listen to this episode. I'm not an auditory learner, I'm visual. I don't generally listen to podcasts, my brain wanders away to readable or visual things to remain engaged. Very splendid that Jason is so entranced by Peppermint though, all thanks to Mark's diligence over the years. 

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline mintspider

• Mint-Solus-Peppermint-Spider
    • View Profile
    • Spider's Webtrail
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:47 pm »
How did you miss that .. Zeb nearly always has a Peppermint jacket or T-shirt on, and has Peppermint stickers on the wall behind him :)

I thought you were Zeb's American Clone!
Scotsman in Kentucky
Solus and Peppermint User
BDLL Tester
Believer in Jesus Christ

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 11:51:13 pm »
I thought you were Zeb's American Clone!

Well, Zeb is almost as handsome as I am, so I guess it's easy to think that....  :P

Offline zarg2

• nOOb
  • let the people you love know it
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 07:55:25 am »
Seems he has been taken by the Pep

Stealing this pic for wallpaper rotation :D
Dell Dimension 4700 - Peppermint 10 32 bit on Kingston A400 SSD
ACER Desktop Athlon 64X2 - Peppermint 10
Acer C720P 32GB SSD 4GB Memory Ex- Chromebook GaliumOS