Author Topic: screen won't wake up  (Read 495 times)

Offline toddgrim

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
screen won't wake up
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:13:33 pm »
This may be of the dumb question variety but here goes. . .I just installed Pep 10, configured everything as I had in 9 and all is well, except:

Unlike before, when my screen blanks after being idle it won't come back! Used to be any action - tap a key or move the mouse - and everything comes back but now, nothing! I've tried everything, and every setting I can think of but no dice. Best I've done is shut down completely and reboot but I suspect that a bit extreme!

I'm guessing there is an easy fix but for the life of me I can't find it!

t

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: screen won't wake up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:38:23 pm »
This may not be fixable, it's likely a kernel version issue .. you may have been better off installing Peppermint 9, then manually upgrading it to PM10 but WITHOUT upgrading the kernel and xorg stack.
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

I know that's likely not what you wanted to hear, but the only thing that's different between Peppermint 9 and 10 that might affect this is the kernel and xorg stack.

Another posibility might me instead of effectively DOWNgrading the kernel and xorg stack, instead to try UPgrading it via hwe-18.04-edge .. though I doubt this would work because there isn't an update version of xorg available under hwe-18.04-e3dge yet.

[EDIT]

Maybe we could attempt to DOWNGRADE Peppermint 10 to the non-hwe kernel and xorg stack, but this could go horribly wrong .. wanna give it a shot ?

If so, post the output from:
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep hwe-18.04
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:43:52 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline toddgrim

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:14:39 am »
This computer ain't that old so it's kinda sad that my favorite, and long term distro, just went beyond me.

I'll play around and see what happens.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:55:14 am »
It hasn't 'left you' .. it just requires a different kernel .. as I said, you could install Peppermint 9 then follow the instructions to upgrade Peppermint 9 --> Peppermint 10 but stop at the point where you'd upgrade the kernel.

The other option is for us to attempt to DOWNgrade the Peppermint 10 kernel to the one used in Peppermint 9 .. if you want help with this, please post the output I requested.

The Peppermint 9 kernel is a long term support kernel .. it will be FULLY supported for the lifetime of Peppermint 10.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline toddgrim

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:25:36 am »
OK, I'm over my annoyance, especially after being reminded why I really dislike other major XFCE distros!

I've put 9 back on and will keep it as is. Maybe one day, when I'm feeling brave and with nothing better to do, I'll give the manual upgrade a try.

Th

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 09:19:00 am »
Great stuff, glad to have you back :)

Give the manual upgrade a whirl, it shouldn't break the screen wake up as it keeps Peppermint 9's LTS kernel and graphics stack.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec