Choose style:

Author Topic: When do we say its enough?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: When do we say its enough?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 04:12:02 pm »
Ok guys! Have fun with systemd, I'm off for good!
100% migration to BSD is now accomplished.

VinDSL wrote...
I think BSD would work fine - I ran it on my desktop a few years ago - but, I prefer hanging with Peppermint.

I've chosen the red pill (actually, orange in my case) and I'm sure it will work just fine.

Maybe I will see some of you again!  :-* ...
...somewhere  :'(

Thank you all. I will miss you, but it just doesn't feel right anymore.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 06:50:19 pm »
Pin you can't leave us, surely to everything as holy as my Jumper just because you have gone to BSD does not mean you have to leave Pep Forums. I run other OSES as well as the Pep, though Peppermint is my go to OS., but I run Linux Mint, Linux Lite, Manjaro too. I think this Systemd thing has not even happened yet and it surely won't till a lot of creases has been ironed out. I love reading your posts and the help you give others here on this forum, you will be wholeheartedly missed.  :'(
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 10:00:26 pm »
Hi Pin, I am but a young boy, only just 18 now, but i have been allowed by my "mentor" to read your posts over the last three years, even though he is "banned for life" here in the Peppermint Forums, but encouraged me to join regardless of his being banned.

I know i do not "know" you, but feel that I DO know you somewhat by reading your posts and all the help you have given others.

Just because you are moving on to another OS does not mean you need to leave the forum, your talent and expertise is still valuable here even if you are moving in a different direction.

Just because your not using Peppermint anymore shouldn't mean that you can't be in the forum anymore.

I am sorry to see you leaving, as I believe that you have so much to share with others that really could benefit from your knowledge.

Your also a "trusted user" and "Veteran" as seen in your "Pin Name" logo.

Warmest Regards and best wishes to you,

The Omen
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:46:11 pm by The Omen »

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 02:56:07 pm »
Have a look and think about it:

https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002

Personally speaking, I dare to say that every systemd user has no real reason to feel naked in comparison to other users of other init systems. There are way more ways to get hacked. So many engineers (Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, communities) have a close look.

I like Pep with systemd. If the debian vote mentioned above would show a strong sign against using systmd - well, I would change my mind. But not now.

Offline zarg2

• nOOb
  • let the people you love know it
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 07:49:14 am »
Over at MX/Antix where I spend time as they are two of my go-to's for old hardware, the Devs are trying to figure out in the long term how to sustain a Debian based distro with Debian going Systemd. they don't currently se A Devuan base as an option. Standalones like Solus are admirable but the amount of work required to support a standalone distro must be enormous.

Personally I am taking the middle path. I use Peppermint 10 now on my main and take advantage of ICE to set up SSBs for banking. I have live persistent USBs of Antix for when I'm traveling.

My most "exposed" machine is my GalliumOs Chromebook with chromium as the browser; I never do anything financial on it and run noscript to cut down on tracking nonsense.

But; with using voice searches on the phone, having an android tv that "watches" what one watches, etc. unless one goes almost completely offline, one is being tracked :'(
Dell Dimension 4700 - Peppermint 10 32 bit on Kingston A400 SSD
ACER Desktop Athlon 64X2 - Peppermint 10
Acer C720P 32GB SSD 4GB Memory Ex- Chromebook GaliumOS
"You have today; use it well & be kind"

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 02:15:16 pm »
systemd is like the Borg in many respects...

sh*t gets assimilated, and resistance is futile ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec