Choose style:

Author Topic: Safest Way To Clean P 9+10 OSs  (Read 388 times)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
Safest Way To Clean P 9+10 OSs
« on: October 31, 2019, 11:55:08 am »
Hi good people of Peppermint Forum,

My "mentor" had put these following command codes into my computer as what he calls, "The ONLY really SAFE way to clean your system when necessary.

This came up when i discovered things like "bleachbit" and "janitor" etc. and wanting to install and use them instead since they were GUI based.

His reaction was "immediate", lol,  followed up with a conversation of them being nothing but "wrecking balls" for Linux "newbies" that are convinced they need these things coming from a "Windows" perspective.

I would like some feedback on this issue from others if possible, as well if there are any additions that should be added.

I would like to be able to put a completed list in the tutorials later on if what is here is considered OK to use.

Warm Regards,

The Omen

Kernel and other Cleanups after Deletions:

(The first script to be used ONLY if BYOBU is installed and will leave the "active" kernel and last used kernel intact)

Code: [Select]
sudo purge-old-kernels

sudo apt autoremove --purge

Clear the Thumbnail Cache:

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*/*.png

rm -rfv ~/.cache/thumbnails

Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge

Clear DNS Cache:

sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches

Flush Journald:

sudo journalctl --rotate

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s

Manual SSD TRIM: (ONLY use if you are using an SSD)

sudo fstrim -av
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:27:24 pm by The Omen »

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Safest Way To Clean P 9+10 OSs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:18:29 pm »
Hi folks, this is just a "bump" since I am looking for "feedback" on this. There have been, as of now, 70 views with no "feedback" as to whether this is accurate or if im missing anything here.
Thank-You,
Warm Regards,
The Omen

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: (OK, I get it, I give up) Safest Way To Clean P 9+10 OSs
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 05:51:43 am »
As the addition to the title of this post reads, i now get it, i give up after 90 views and no answer to what i asked for.

Im glad i didnt ask a difficult question.

Not a yes, not a no, Is this the best way to clean?, Is it not?, are there additions?

I guess i have learned another difficult lesson in my young life.

Regards,

The Omen
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:53:25 am by The Omen »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 06:08:28 am »
Hi

Sorry you've had no replies to your question

I don't think I'm really qualified to answer your question besides cleaning a Linux system is a bit of a contentious issue regarding the best way to go about it 100 experts will likely give you 100 different answers, what I can say from my own experience is that Linux runs relatively trouble free and requires a lot less maintenance than Windows

Anyway here's a tutorial from Joe Collins over on the Freedom Penguin website that I've found useful and tend to follow

https://freedompenguin.com/articles/how-to/keeping-linux-clean/

Good luck

Graeme
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:15:33 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 07:16:11 am »
It was the Joe Collins thing where i got my "bright idea" about using bleachbit etc. the Joe Collins guy says is great to use.

My "mentor",  drummed it out of me, telling me that what Collins says is nothing more than what he calls, "snake oil" crap that will do nothing more than screw up my system if not used correctly and is nothing more than some sort of crutch for Windows users.

I only asked in this forum, if the codes my "mentor" gave me for cleaning my OS were the safest, most correct,  and up to date and still the safest way to clean a Linux system.

I didnt think that this would be a to difficult thing to answer, but obviously i was wrong.

But very curious, my "mentor" told me in advance that no one would answer this,  which makes me wonder, How the hell did he know that in advance?

I do not know if the current Peppermint edition 9 respin that i have on my computer, if there were any additions or deletions to the list of safe cleaning codes my "mentor" gave to me for cleaning my system are still the right thing to do.

He told me he is out of date since you guys banned him for life.

He wont tell me anything about that situation, even though i asked and really want to know, or even who did it to him.

He will only tell Mr. Greaves, but he told me he tried a few years ago with no answer so will never attempt to tell him ever again.

I wish you guys would know him like i do, he is really decent old guy and since i only have my grand parents as my mom and pop, i really look up to him as being the "father" i could only wish i could have had.

I really wish there was a way you guys could "kiss" and make up but i guess Im just pissing in the wind on this one.

If you adults cannot get along and ban people for life, i guess thats just another "life" lesson for me to learn.

What the hell do i know, im only 18.

Warm Regards,
The Omen

My "mentor" considers this a "dead" issue

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 08:50:53 am »
I didnt think that this would be a to difficult thing to answer, but obviously i was wrong.

It's not so much that it's difficult to answer it's just that it's so subjective and a matter of opinion

I wouldn't argue with your mentor and he may well be right about Bleachbit but the problem is not everyone is as proficient in the terminal as he clearly is and relies on applications like Bleachbit to carry out task they wouldn't otherwise be able to do.

So I don't have an answer to your question (to be honest I don't even have an opinion) and even if I thought I did someone would likely come along and tell me I'm wrong such is the nature of the subject.

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 10:33:41 am »
I have never ever had to use bleach bit or any other cleaning tool in Linux.  if you're sharing the same computer, but then surely as you would with a Windows machine you'll have separate accounts anyway and always have separate passwords, plus have it setup so you cannot see the other persons account.  I don't get why you would need such tools in Linux? The only time I have ever had to defrag my Linux is when I filled the hard drive up with picture and video files, this was not on a SSD as defragging those can damage them, so with SSD drives you trim them instead, but never ever fill up a SSD as that's when you get into trouble. Bleach bit can do more harm than good, especially if you don't know what you're doing?

The whole idea of ext4 is it's journal is far more superior than any other, hence why you're not waiting around for ages for something to open, when a app gets installed it keeps the app from beginning to end of the script in one place, where as a file system like NTFS (New Tech Filing System) which to my mind is the dumbest file system in the world as it installs apps all over the place, then needing to defrag more frequently as NTFS uses all your processing power to open up one thing, because of the constant running of apps in the background causing slow downs. Ext4 keeps all apps together never the need to defrag, no slow down, no running of heavy apps in the background.

Uninstalling apps in Linux can sometimes leave residue behind and I get as to why people from a Windows perspective would want to have a cleaning tool, but to my mind it's the Windows brainwashing people into thinking that they need such tools in Linux.
Open a Terminal and type
sudo apt autoremove

Your Terminal will scan for any debris of any App you've uninstalled Push Y on your keyboard for it to permanently get rid of the residue it's found.

When it comes to Kernels, Ubuntu based systems will always save at least three and use the most up to date one to boot, but sometimes that can cause boot up problems, so especially on a 64bit version put the above code in again and let it do it's thing, you'll also be surprised at how much room you save, after deleting the oldest version of your Kernel. If you're like me and use Systemback and you click look for upgrades it will only leave the latest Kernel on your system. I will get round to doing another video on Systemback soon, as yes it is not supported anymore, but is still usable and makes you wonder how many non supportive apps are out there, that can still be installed and used without doing any harm to your system?? I'm still very much  :-\ when it comes to bleach bit. 
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »
Hi The Omen,

I also never use or recommend that anyone use BleachBit. But as far as the scripts you listed, I do not understand anything about grep or awk (and it seems that my old grey matter will never be in condition to understand them), so I cannot even comment on those. And I'm sure that if they were in any way harmful that someone who does understand how to use grep and awk would surely have spoken up by now. But the other things you listed are fine. I (personally) really see little need to add anything more to your list.

Don't get up tight about not getting any reply because that usually means that what you have posted is OK  :D -- and many of us have lives beyond this forum that we need to attend to more than posting something to the effect that everything you wrote looks good  ;) And don't take that as a snotty reply, because it is not intended to be one.  8) Stay cool and don't drool (or you'll start looking like me).  ::)   

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 02:35:16 pm »
i usually just run sudo apt autoclean && sudo apt autoremove -y and leave it at that. if i have to use bleachbit then id never use it under root as i nuked an install once that way.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 04:17:58 pm »
You titled your topic "Safest Way To Clean P 9+10 OSs", and then attempted to get other people to endorse your commands as "safe", they cannot be guaranteed to be 'safe' for ALL people in ALL circumstances .. hence why most people reading them would agree that whilst they're USUALLY pretty safe they wouldn't want to endorse them in ALL circumstances ALL of the time.

System cleaning is often system specific (hence why I too don't endorse the blind use of bleachbit), you're never going to get people to agree on a list of 'safe' commands .. it makes MUCH more sense to UNDERSTAND your system and what commands are doing than to simply follow a list blindly, for example 'autoremove' cannot be globally endorsed as 'safe' you'd need to check and understand what it says it'll remove first .. by all means ask questions about commands to learn what they may do, but don't attempt to get people to endorse any command list publicly.

Now please drop the entitled attitude as evidenced in your response and title edit, nobody here 'owes' you a response (or indeed anything beyond civility and good manners).

One last thing, the 'thing' between myself and 'your mentor' is old history and (if you are who you say you are) nothing to do with you .. raise it again and I'll consider it you involving yourself in the matter. Please take that the warning it is meant to be .. up to this point and against my better judgement (and your username and IP address) I've given you the benefit of the doubt that you're not the banned person in question masquerading as someone else, the similarities in your attitude and behaviour are now making me question that decision.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:12:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Safest Way To Clean P 9+10 OSs
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 12:33:26 pm »
Hi Mr. Greaves, I am sorry for my stupid attitude and thank you for the adjustment, It was deserved.

I was told that the IP would prove a problem, but am forced to only use a computer here.

I will behave myself as I got a good chewing out here as well and told the same thing about my attitude and have now been givin a "time out" for one week to modify my behavior.

I mad the adjustment to the subject line.

Thank you again,

The Omen