Choose style:

Author Topic: Customized installation  (Read 364 times)

Offline lviejo

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Customized installation
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:14:05 pm »
I recently started working at a not-for-profit org with low budget.  We periodically sent a large number of volunteers into the field with provided by the org.  I have inherited about fifty assorted  laptops running Windows, which have not been updated recently (like in the past two years in some cases).  Many are very low spec (e.g., 64 GB ssd, 2GB memory, low spec Celeron.  There is no budget for the necessary structure to maintain and manage such a large Windows deployment properly.

Users primarily need to run a few web based apps, play an occasional video, compose emails on a web based email system, and do word processing or spreadsheet work.  While looking at Peppermint for our low spec machines I realized that it could be an ideal across the board solution.

It is not so hard to install and configure for one laptop.  After installing I strip out most of the apps and add a few through Ice.  Multiplied by fifty, with frequent reformatting as they change hands, and it becomes a problem.  I would like to be able to prep one machine and use that as a template for future deployments.  Does anyone have suggestions as how to best accomplish this?

Thanks Much,

L. Viejo

Offline Howling Wolf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Customized installation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:43:06 am »
Took few seconds googling this, maybe helpful for you: http://positon.org/clone-a-linux-system-install-to-another-computer

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:41:25 pm »
Yeah clone the drive.

Just don't install any proprietary drivers on the drive to be cloned.
(I'm thinking graphics drivers here)

Another option my be to use something like Systemback / Remastersys to create an installation media from the installed system
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/make-your-very-own-customized-linux-distro-from-your-current-installation
(again advisable to steer clear of proprietary graphics drivers)

Systemback is no longer supported, but the 16.04 (xenial) version should still work in 18.04 and hence Peppermint 9 or 10 .. instructions for installing can be found here
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-systemback-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-18-10
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:52:07 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 02:11:02 pm »
Hi lviejo, check out my post of duplicating my system I did a while back just to see if I could. You'll find it
here. Note that I had made a Timeshift snapshot of the system.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:04:14 pm »
Yeah clone the drive.

Just don't install any proprietary drivers on the drive to be cloned.
(I'm thinking graphics drivers here)

Another option my be to use something like Systemback / Remastersys to create an installation media from the installed system
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/make-your-very-own-customized-linux-distro-from-your-current-installation
(again advisable to steer clear of proprietary graphics drivers)

Systemback is no longer supported, but the 16.04 (xenial) version should still work in 18.04 and hence Peppermint 9 or 10 .. instructions for installing can be found here
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-systemback-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-18-10

I can Concur that Systemback does work and I have recently used it, to backup as a ISO of Pep 10. The only thing you will have to do as you do in Linux Mint, Ubuntu Mate. Is after installing Systemback

Code: [Select]
Reboot System

OpenTerminal Ctrl+Alt+T Together

sudo apt update

sudo apt install live-boot

sudo apt remove casper

Then Reboot System

For some very odd reason, for years now for these OSES Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint, Peppermint and Elementary OS you have to install
live-boot
 and remove casper
Otherwise you end up with not being able to boot into OS and a message about a moo cow, it might sound like I'm being silly but seriously yes a moo cow something to do with some coding. Removing casper and installing live-boot takes care of that. As of today 25th November I have deleted a majority of my videos on YouTube because of the shenanigans of COPPA and YouTube. I feel that YouTube is not a viable platform anymore and for many years has been broken, plus it has so many restrictions. So I have gone over to Twitch fully and first live stream will be going up today, though more of a rant maybe some gaming on my Pep Gaming side of my PC. Whose to say that COPPA will eventually target Twitch and other media sites? Until that day arrives though will try my best to get content on Twitch. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:24:55 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 03:00:15 pm »

Will be doing a up to date video on it Tuesday 29th October, but these should give you an idea? Hopefully Yes they are long and like I said in the video, probably bore the pants off you? But I do go over the basics, but on Tuesday 29th October will get a up to date video done, that won't be so long. Keep a lookout here on this post?

Hi clatterfordslim, I just watched your video, took three cups of coffee to get me through it, but you've sold me on systemback. I have P 9 on my laptop and I'm wanting to install it on my desktop since I'm having problems with nemo on P 10, very annoying. May I suggest that once you complete your revised video, you post it in user submitted tutorials with maybe a reference to it here in this post?
What was I thinking?

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 12:17:53 am »
Hi clatterfordslim, I just watched your video, took three cups of coffee to get me through it, but you've sold me on systemback. I have P 9 on my laptop and I'm wanting to install it on my desktop since I'm having problems with nemo on P 10, very annoying. May I suggest that once you complete your revised video, you post it in user submitted tutorials with maybe a reference to it here in this post?

Yes indeed will work on a video later on this week as today being Sunday is apparently the start of the new working week. In modern times it is anyway.  ;D

I will do a step by step guide from P9 to P10 and then backing up in Systemback. I'm glad you found those old videos interesting. I can do better now I have the tech and the practice. The reason why I had problems with Systemback in Pep 10 is the 5.0 Kernel it don't like it, so upgrading from P9 to P10 makes all the difference, as using 4.15.0-70  one, which the 4.15's are supported till 2023, where as the 4.18 ones are not. The 4.18 does install  alongside the 5.0 Kernel I believe in Pep 10, but after removing Casper and installing live-boot it did not like it at all.  :-\ So it has to be the Kernels Systemback does not like? As with the 4.15 it loves them.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:32:41 am by clatterfordslim »

Offline RTCarman

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): OS7
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 08:52:55 am »
Hi - I googled it also and came across something called Clonezilla (https://clonezilla.org/).
  It appears to work with a number of different OS's. I haven't used it, but it might be
  a choice as plan B if the other suggestions here do not work out.
Have a nice day. "Be safe, be happy, and be well." - Rich

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 02:20:58 pm »
Thank you RTCarman I actually forgot about Clonezilla. So many different apps to do virtually the same thing, it's hard to remember them all.  ;D