Choose style:

Author Topic: Some recent distro hopping  (Read 197 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Some recent distro hopping
« on: October 12, 2019, 06:03:38 pm »
Here are my recent impressions from some other distributions:

Sparky OS will stay on my ThinkPad E470 for the next few years. APTus is a great tool for tweaking the system. I installed kernel 5.3.6 today. Everything is running great.

Solus OS with Budgie looks nice but is not as easy to customize as Xfce. Also, they have few packages. I could live with it if I had to.

Gecko Linux sounds great in theory: OpenSuSe with codecs and improved font rendering and improved package management. However, I dislike YaSt. It has too many options for a simple-minded guy like me and it needs a lot of clicks to achieve something that only requires a simple command in the terminal.

Manjaro 18.1.0 has a great community and it works well. I don't trust the rolling release approach, though. Snapshots of the entire system are just not for me. Would it break sooner or later? Who knows...

Mint 19.2 is almost great. It is what I would recommend to people who want to switch from Windows 7. Peppermint just feels a little snappier and it has Nemo, which allows easy resizing of desktop icons.

Debian Buster comes with a blunt default version of Xfce and suboptimal font rendering. It did not recognize the touchpad and the wifi on my ThinkPad, even with all the nonfree drivers.

So, for my needs, there is nothing better out there than Peppermint OS. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:05:46 pm by Fritz74 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Some recent distro hopping
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 11:10:56 am »
Great insight and pretty much matches my own thoughts :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 (64 Bit)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:05:22 pm »
Sparky OS / Solus OS / Gecko Linux haven't tried and doubt I ever will.

OpenSUSE I've tried and liked it although just to much to learn although may give it another shot.

Manjaro I've tried and it was for the most pretty stable however sometimes the updates created problems.

Mint 19.2 I've not used it although have used Linux Mint 19.1 and it's OK although I just don't care for it.

Antix Linux I like it's a unique little Linux Distro and runs on every computer I've installed it on although it's a very hands on Linux Distro.

Debian 10 Buster is A-OK if using older desktop computers as it does have excellent driver support for older hardware.

LMDE 3 Cindy It's OK because it's Debian based although I don't care for Cinnamon user interface which is a resource hog.

Peppermint 9 / Peppermint 10 I like and really ain't got no complaints with it it works well on all of the computers I've installed it on.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I like it and have no real complaints other than Gnome3 is a real resource hog.

I run multiple desktops throughout my house with different Linux Distros for the main reason I Like different Linux Distros.

Antix 17.4.1 Helen Keller / Debian 10 Buster / LMDE 3 Cindy / Peppermint 9 / Peppermint 10 / Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I can't say I really have a favorite Linux Distro as I like different things about all of the Linux Distros I run and they all work well on my old desktops computers.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:38:59 pm by 151tom »

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 12:53:46 pm »
I run Debian Buster Xfce on my main rig, Pep 10 on a laptop and various distros from usb drives. I also used NOOBS to put Debian on a Pi 3. not much problems with either