Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing Brave Browser  (Read 113 times)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
Installing Brave Browser
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:58:00 pm »
Hey there people, This is not asking for any help but asking why my "mentors"  way of installing Brave Browser actually works, when Braves own instructions do not.

I wanted to have the same browser as he has and decided to go to "Braves" official installation instructions for (18.04 Ubuntu based systems) Linux computers and could not get them to work on Peppermint 9 Respin.

When i was done, it was just a mess that would not work. He cleaned up my mess for me and then said, "use this code instead of theirs",  (He agreed that i DID use the so-called "correct code"  from "Brave" for my system).

It seems that the forum he is on has many people that also had the same exact problem installing Brave Browser and in ALL cases, his code was the only one that "just worked" for them as well in that forum.
(He did inform Brave about this a long time ago but they just ignored him and never answered or asked him why, or even changed the code on their web site when he gave his code to them).

His code had many differences in it and it worked immediately.

Can anyone tell me what is so different about the coding he is using and why his works but the "Official" codes from "Brave" do not.

I am really curious.

Thanks again for any answers.

Regards,

The Omen

OOOPS, almost forgot to show you the code he used so you can all compare to the "Official Brave Version".

Code: [Select]
curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -

UBUNTU_CODENAME=$( (grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release || grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/lsb-release) 2>/dev/null | cut -d'=' -f2 )

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ bionic main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-bionic.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser brave-keyring

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:00:42 pm by The Omen »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Installing Brave Browser
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:06:01 pm »
Hi The Omen, 

Although I run Firefox in Peppermint 10 as my default browser, I run Brave as one of my back up browsers in Peppermint too.  These are the instructions I use when I install Brave in Peppermint, and I've never had any problem with its installation.

Release Channel Installation
Ubuntu 16.04+ and Mint 18+

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg add -

source /etc/os-release

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-${UBUNTU_CODENAME}.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

Source:  https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux

Someone who can read code would have to compare the two sets of instructions, but from what my untrained eye can see, the instructions are very similar. 

Assuming you're using a 64-bit computer, at the end of the day, do you have this message on Brave's About page?

About Brave

Brave
Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Get help with Brave
Brave
Copyright 2019 Brave Software Inc. All rights reserved.
Brave is made possible by the Brave open source project and other open source software.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:09:45 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:28:24 pm »
What's this all about ?
UBUNTU_CODENAME=$( (grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release || grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/lsb-release) 2>/dev/null | cut -d'=' -f2 )
That seems like it was possibly ripped from a script to set a specified UBUNTU_CODENAME variable that can be used later in the script.

It'll produce zero output as a single terminal command, so (outside of the script it was likely 'borrowed' from) isn't even useful for identifying the "bionic" part for the next command. Which BTW is the only difference I can see from Brave's own instructions.

It makes no sense to use that command, and then manually specify 'bionic' in the next command.

This makes more sense to me (specially if scripted, but would also work as 5 separate commands run in sequence):-
wget -q https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-$UBUNTU_CODENAME.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install brave-browser brave-keyring
which should theoretically also work for non-bionic versions of Ubuntu (and derivatives such as Mint, Peppermint, FerenOS, Zorin, Elementary, etc.).

BE AWARE - Those 5 commands would need to be run in sequence IN THE SAME TERMINAL WINDOW (otherwise the $UBUNTU_CODENAME variable wouldn't be replaced in the next command.

Also note - the above command sequence doesn't require the installation of curl .. it uses wget (which is already installed) to get the key file.

Not that installing curl is a problem, just that it's not necessary.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:46:14 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:03:36 pm »
Hi Mr. Perknh, and Mr. Greaves.

First for perknh, The code you showed was the one i tried to use, It puked all over me, lol. I did it by copy and paste, one code at a time.

As far as "about brave" i have the same readout you have, and yes, the update manager has been updating it OK.

About Brave
Brave logo
Brave
Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Get help with Brave
Brave
Brave is made possible by the Brave open source project and other open source software.

2nd for Mr. Greaves, the "wget -q" code you wrote, This can go in all at once, copy and paste the whole nine yards, as one code entry?

Since it is already installed with the "curl" and "bionic" code and it totally works, should i just leave well enough alone?

Do you know of any reason not to use it installed this way?

Thank-you both for your answers.

Regards,

The Omen
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:07:46 pm by The Omen »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 03:09:24 pm »
No .. five separate commands.
wget -q https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
then
then
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-$UBUNTU_CODENAME.list
then
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get install brave-browser brave-keyring
run IN SEQUENCE one after the other, and all IN THE SAME TERMINAL WINDOW.

Since it is already installed with the "curl" and "bionic" code and it totally works, should i just leave well enough alone?

If you already have it installed .. don't mess.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:13:40 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 03:23:42 pm »
Thank-you sir for the clarification, I will copy and paste this to a USB for future possible usage.

Don't worry, I will not "mess" with it since it is working very well.

Regards,

The Omen

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 03:32:27 pm »
Just to let perknh know, Just got an update to Brave Browser through the update manager.

This is the latest one now:

Brave
Version 0.69.135 Chromium: 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Get help with Brave
Brave

Regards,

The Omen

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »
Just to let perknh know, Just got an update to Brave Browser through the update manager.

Yes, thank you, The Omen.  I just got it too. ;)

And, thank you, PCNetSpec, for making the installation of Brave browser more Peppermint-friendly. :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum