Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 10 on HP Stream 11  (Read 127 times)

Offline Snow

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Peppermint 10 on HP Stream 11
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »
My partner had bought the HP Stream to use in University. It came with Windows 10.  :-X The poor thing didn't even last a year with its tiny 30gb harddrive before the latest of never-ending Windows updates asked to clear another 8gb for the latest one. 8GB!!?? Basically, save a few documents, one small program and perhaps 3 pictures, the Windows installation filled up the entire HDD and was asking for yet more space. Into the closet it went and was forgotten for about a year.

One day I pulled it out and thought, surely this little tyke could still work, so I thought, why not install linux. I had found a tutorial to install GalliumOS. Followed the tutorial and got it running. Used it for a few months with Gallium. However, something happened with the kernel and it got corrupted. I still refused to give up on this little guy. I then found Peppermint. If I remember correctly, I did not even follow any tutorial. I simply threw Peppermint on a bootable USB. Installed and everthing since has been running smooth with no extra drivers. I have full capability and whatever graphics driver I'm using is working exceptionally well. Peppermint not only gave new life to this unit, but also in my opinion, it's running at its best.

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: main Kernel: 5.0.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: laptop System: HP product: HP Stream Laptop 11-y0XX v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: N/A
           Mobo: HP model: 82A9 v: 04.20 serial: N/A
           UEFI: Insyde v: F.11 date: 12/05/2016
Battery    BAT0: charge: 12.6 Wh 35.9% condition: 35.3/35.3 Wh (100%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N3060 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2480 MHz 1: 1096 MHz 2: 667 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.1 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8
Audio:     Card Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-27-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 32.0GB (82.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 31.3GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sda model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 27G used: 14G (53%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
           ID-2: /boot size: 705M used: 166M (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 186 Uptime: 21:14 Memory: 997.2/3848.1MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint 10 on HP Stream 11
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:56:37 pm »
Hi Snow, and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the kind words, we're happy Peppermint is of some use for you and that you decided to become a member of our little community by coming here.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Snow

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 05:41:47 pm »
Hi Snow, and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the kind words, we're happy Peppermint is of some use for you and that you decided to become a member of our little community by coming here.

And thank you very kindly for the welcome. :)

Well I have to say I'm very impressed with Peppermint. I was also using it to help reinstall Windows 7 on my gaming rig. Funny thing is, again, Peppermint runs right out of the box and if I was to install Peppermint on my PC, it would have been quick (what.. 30 min maybe?) and I would simply have to install a graphic card driver. Instead I burned 8 different Win7 install discs (the first 7 of which failed), injected USB 3 drivers, slipstreamed isos, repaired my boot record and reformatted the drive several times, dealt with blue screens, startup repairs, looping corrupted boot sequences, and finally found out that M$ purposely made their latest Win7 updates not installable if I have a modern CPU. Whenever I try to install the last critical update - horrendous crash and restore required. TLDR: it took 3 weeks just to get Win7 on my new mobo, where Peppermint would have been 30 minutes. Why am I using Windows again?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 05:55:51 pm »
Why am I using Windows again?

Let me guess .. the odd game ?

Like most :)

[EDIT]

Personally I'd been Windows free for the best part of a decade, then some unthoughtful prat gave me a gaming rig ::)
(not quite sure whether to love em or hate em :)))
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:00:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Snow

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 07:45:06 pm »
Why am I using Windows again?

Let me guess .. the odd game ?

Like most :)

[EDIT]

Personally I'd been Windows free for the best part of a decade, then some unthoughtful prat gave me a gaming rig ::)
(not quite sure whether to love em or hate em :)))

That's just it. My assortment of games. I'm finding though that because these superior Linux OSes are becoming more and more powerful, stable and reliable, that more of my preferred programs now have Linux versions. For most of what I use my PC for, Peppermint would be perfect. I still have a full office suite, art and photo-editing programs, and I have Blender 2.8 which is so nice. Get enough of my games ported over and we have a deal. I'll find the nearest incinerator and toss all of my M$ discs into it.

And back to this little HP Stream.. with Win10 it was absolutely gutless and useless. With Peppermint, it feels like a mid to high end laptop, and yet it's a $200 machine with a Celeron processor. I hope there are others out there with HP Streams and they find this thread. This machine has satisfied a lot of needs.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 12:08:32 pm »
I have a similarly specced Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY, runs a treat with Peppermint.
(crawled with Win10 OOTB )

Was a bit of a bitch to get Peppermint installed because though the CPU is 64bit (Intel Atom Z3735), it has a 32bit UEFI .. so I had to recreate the ISO with Linuxium's isorespin.iso utility
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/
to add the bootia32.efi bootloader and some Baytrail/Cherrytrail tweaks to the Peppermint 9 ISO, but then it flew on.

Just in case anyone else has one of these Ideapads (or any other Baytrail/Cherrytrail based device with a 32bit UEFI), you can download a 64bit Peppermint 9 Respin ISO with the 32bit UEFI bootloader here:
https://peppermintos.info/pm9r-testing/Peppermint-9-20190102-32bit-efi-amd64.iso
then if you want to upgrade it to Peppermint 10, see here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.msg86655.html#msg86655

I'll probably do another one of these custom 32bit UEFI ISO's for the PM10 Respin after it's released.

I could easily add just the 32bit UEFI bootloader to the stock 64bit ISO, so it's boot on both 32bit and 64bit UEFI, but Baytrail/Cherrytrail also need a few other tweaks which might interfere with other systems .. hence the separate ISO.

[EDIT]

The above ISO was tested on a Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY and an ASUS Transformer Book T100TA, but should theoretically work on any Bay Trail/Cherry Trail/Braswell/Apollo Lake system with a 32bit UEFI
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:15:12 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:40:35 pm »
Me Windows free since 2017. Not a gamer, so what do I need Windows for? Pepp addict since then 8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:49:15 pm by Johan »
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 04:25:56 pm »
Not a gamer, so what do I need Windows for?

Neither was I until Zeb came along with his flippin bright ideas and manic generosity ::)

Now I can't seem to get anything done.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:28:35 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 05:50:36 am »
Maybe my latest donation does 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 12:26:45 pm »
It all helps keep us going Johan .. TVM, much appreciated my Peppermint friend and supporter :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 01:32:16 pm »
And thank you and the team very much for the best OS on the planet and surroundings   :P :D