Choose style:

Author Topic: Financial program Skrooge (SOLVED)  (Read 222 times)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): current just downloaded
Financial program Skrooge (SOLVED)
« on: October 05, 2019, 03:13:51 pm »
Has anyone on board installed or used the KDE program for finances "Skrooge"?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:30:02 pm by windrose »

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Financial program Skrooge
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 03:44:43 pm »
Ok l guess l am the only one attempting to use this program with Peppermint...l would appreciate any suggestions as to the financial programs anyone else may be using.
I am only needing the program for basic accounting such as recording bank accounts, credit cards, home expenses etc. and have always used Quicken programs when using Windows OS.
 I have heard that l may run the Quicken program if l were to use a program called WINE ? What about another option called Virtual Machine?

Plese note my current ranking..Nooby
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:48:07 pm by windrose »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:49:23 am »
That's a Qt app so would bring in a TON of Qt dependencies in Peppermint (which generally comes with just the Gtk framework pre-installed and therefore apps) .. Qt apps will work in Peppermint but they'll need to pull in all the Qt framework libs too (as they're not installed by default).

Personally I use
https://www.manager.io/free-accounting-software
but even this isn't without it's problems as (IIRC) it uses mono. It's also probably aimed more at business accounting rather than home financial planning.

If Scrooge looks like what you want, and you don't mind the disk space used by the ton of Qt dependencies that'll get pulled in, then just use it (or at least try it) ;)

SOME versions of Quicken will work in WINE .. so it depends which version you have (?)
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=107
(my advice would be to only consider versions flagged as Platinum)

And sure, any would work in a Windows VM.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:55:31 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:23 am »
I have downloaded the GnuCash app and it seems fairly straightforward and simple to use so l may give that a try.
I was led to believe that it was possible to transfer my files from Quicken but having researched it a bit, find Quicken is proprietary and it is not possible which is a shame as l have records  going back into the 90's that l would like to keep without keeping a Windows machine.

I suppose ( as l really do not know) that a virtual desktop would require an original version of Windows which l do not have, however, l recall downloading specific files (with the help of a Quicken agent) that had updated my old , now obsolete, program to a 2013 version. Maybe those files would be all l need to install the program into a Windows virtual machine.
Many thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:46:54 am »
Nope, I'm afraid a Windows VM would require a Windows licence (at least if you wanted to stay on the right side of the law).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:42:20 am »
I was not suggesting an illegal version of Windows but l have an original (paid for) version on my windows 8.1 laptop.
Just not certain as to how that may be installed into a Virtual machine on my Linux computer.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »
Please note my current ranking..Nooby

Noted...

I was going to recommend dual-booting your Peppermint OS install, but that declaration stopped me.

That said, really, you would be better off dual-booting your rig, and booting into winders when you want to run winders programs. That's what I do.

I actually triple-boot my 'Road Warrior' - Peppermint OS, and two (2) versions of winders 10. That way, I have all my bases covered.

I also dual-boot most of my desktop machines - same reason.

NOTHING emulates the original, like the original.

Just saying...  ;)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 06:46:51 pm »
Thats is just what l was looking into..the process to dual boot. I have a first generation Lenovo yoga running windows 8.1  that l still use but only for the Quicken program. I guess l could reallocate more of the disc to the Peppermint side and reduce the Windows side down to what l need for that one program...Never done a dual boot before as l was determined to leave the Window(s) closed behind me..
I am running a laptop dedicated to Linux Mint Cinnamon and l have just begun the switch from Windows 10 to Peppermint on my wifes laptop. I have acquired another Lenovo Yoga loaded strictly with Peppermint 10 for her, as the HP she has with win 10 on it is so slow it drives me nuts waiting for it to do something. I had thought of dual booting her HP but it is slow now with only the one OS and it is one of those 15" boat anchor laptops.
I have been using the Skrooge program for about a year and like it but it is quirky and l believe the developer is running out of patience with me constantly asking HOW to accomplish certain tasks.
I would like to maintain that program as l have invested a lot of time into trying to learn it but having tried the GnuCash program may give that a go for a while. I must say having to make duplicate entries into each of the programs is a PITA but l do like redundancy.  :D :D :D

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 11:38:58 am »
... the HP she has with win 10 on it is so slow it drives me nuts waiting for it to do something. I had thought of dual booting her HP but it is slow now with only the one OS ...

Hi windrose,

Dual booting will not slow a computer after it has booted into an OS. In fact, if the HP is so slow on Windoze, I'm almost positive you will find it faster using PeppermintOS. That is why so many people with older (read: slower) computers often install Linux! It extends the life of the computer that they thought was so slow that it must be thrown into the garbage and replaced by a newer, faster machine when the problem was actually the OS.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 07:10:02 pm »
Thats is just what l was looking into..the process to dual boot. I have a first generation Lenovo yoga running windows 8.1  that l still use but only for the Quicken program. I guess l could reallocate more of the disc to the Peppermint side and reduce the Windows side down to what l need for that one program...Never done a dual boot before as l was determined to leave the Window(s) closed behind me..
I am running a laptop dedicated to Linux Mint Cinnamon and l have just begun the switch from Windows 10 to Peppermint on my wifes laptop. I have acquired another Lenovo Yoga loaded strictly with Peppermint 10 for her, as the HP she has with win 10 on it is so slow it drives me nuts waiting for it to do something. I had thought of dual booting her HP but it is slow now with only the one OS and it is one of those 15" boat anchor laptops.
I have been using the Skrooge program for about a year and like it but it is quirky and l believe the developer is running out of patience with me constantly asking HOW to accomplish certain tasks.
I would like to maintain that program as l have invested a lot of time into trying to learn it but having tried the GnuCash program may give that a go for a while. I must say having to make duplicate entries into each of the programs is a PITA but l do like redundancy.  :D :D :D

Failing that with your Lenovo, you could put Peppermint on an external drive and load it up in bios when you want to use Peppermint. Saves room on your main Windyhose drive, especially as Lenovo Yoga 500 or at least mine only came with a 500GB drive on it. Though I don't run Windyhose on it anymore, it has Pepten sounds good now we've got to number ten. Pepten I might call my dog when I get one after I retire in seventy five years time, though I won't be walking it, because I'll just be a brain in a jar in seventy five years time, unless they can make me and other people younger for our ages, as I'll be
Code: [Select]
ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN

DEAF AS A LAMPPOST
SHOUTING ALL THE TIME

ALL MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM WOULD BE IN CAPITALS BECAUSE I SHOUT NORMALLY BECAUSE I'M DEAF.
PEOPLE GO OFF ME BECAUSE THEY THINK I'M ANGRY BECAUSE OF CAPITAL LETTERS.

There we go back to normality thank goodness, sorry about that went off on one there. I do wonder what Peppermint would be like in seventy years time?
Would it be talking to us, as a person?

The great thing about Linux is you can install it on virtually any device, I fully installed Linux Mint on an external hard drive and took it around to the library's Internet Cafe and asked them if I could boot into it. Nine times out of ten they let me. Used to take it to friends houses too. I even tried persuading my work colleagues in the office if they would use Linux? But of course they said no, because the computers were hired out at that time  and so Windyhose is all they could use.  :(

Oh by the way to work my age out I used my fingers and toes, not a calculator.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:38:30 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 09:20:15 am »
 clatterfordslim   points taken..l am going to try all options till l find the right one for me....thats what l love about Linux!
BTW l know you have the same Lenovo as me and l am on another topic on the board should you like to chime in on screen resolutions changing when plugged into the hdmi outlet..curious as to what resolutions you have set.?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 08:41:29 pm »
Hi windrose, check HomeBank out http://homebank.free.fr/en/index.php
What was I thinking?

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 09:11:38 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion alynur but l am currently juggling 3 different programs and thats about it for me. >:( >:(

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 08:23:43 am »
That's a Qt app so would bring in a TON of Qt dependencies in Peppermint (which generally comes with just the Gtk framework pre-installed and therefore apps) .. Qt apps will work in Peppermint but they'll need to pull in all the Qt framework libs too (as they're not installed by default).

Personally I use
https://www.manager.io/free-accounting-software
but even this isn't without it's problems as (IIRC) it uses mono. It's also probably aimed more at business accounting rather than home financial planning.

If Scrooge looks like what you want, and you don't mind the disk space used by the ton of Qt dependencies that'll get pulled in, then just use it (or at least try it) ;)

SOME versions of Quicken will work in WINE .. so it depends which version you have (?)
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=107
(my advice would be to only consider versions flagged as Platinum)

And sure, any would work in a Window.s VM.

Well l have been playing with the Skrooge app and managed to load the most current vers 2.20 onto my wifes Lenovo 2 loaded with Peppermint 10. I had loaded it onto my Lenovo 2 Pro that is running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon   but for some reason could only load vers 2.15.0 . Having contacted the program writer at KDE l explained what was happening and we tried  this
sudo apt remove skrooge*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:s-mankowski/ppa-kf5
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install skrooge-kf5

after attempting this several times l found l was still unable to progress to the newer 2.20.0 version. I sent him a screen shot of my Terminal and he informed me that l would not be able to upgrade as l was running Xenial...his reply...
On your system (based on xenial), you can have only 2.15.0 (not 2.20.0).
So, keep this version.

So this begged the question that l am putting to you. What is Peppermint running if not Xenial that allows it to be loaded onto Peppermint (very nicely BTW). And excuse my being a Nooby but how do l find this out on the computer? as l was unable to read thru the documentation and find out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:25:21 am by windrose »

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 10:26:04 am »
windrose,

I believe Peppermint 10 is based on Ubuntu Bionic Beaver.  Xenial is an older release of Ubuntu which I believe Peppermint 8 was based on.  I have no idea what Linux Mint is based on.  Suggest you switch to Peppermint 10 and problem solved.  :)