Choose style:

Author Topic: Software - recommandation  (Read 195 times)

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Software - recommandation
« on: October 04, 2019, 03:40:00 pm »
Sry.; i duno where i should write; so i guess, this is the right sub for it

I search few  Software, which i would have under Linux;
maybe u have a hint ( i am good enough, to install things with the GDebi-Paket-Manger)

Under windows there was:

(98SE/XP/7): PicaView
(7 and up) : Fast PreView (Nils Meier)

What does it made: When u are in the Windows Explorer (kind of nemo) and click a "jpg" (other picture) with the right-mouse-button;
u had a preview of this pic.

I liked this tool; cause i have all the stuff in "Detail" Mode, and no other gimmicks, which i duno all the time;
So, when i would have a quick overview;.... right mousebutton; and that's it

-----
The 2nd one:
In earliy Windows Versions (98SE/XP/7) ThumbsPlus
later (7 and up) the "FreeProgramm" FastStone ImageViewer

(I duno like AC-DC-Stuff)

It's a picture-based "Explorer" (like XN-View)

XN-View is very close to "FastStone", but it's not exactly what i search

Basic Infos: I move very much Pictures from one folder to another one ; Sort by brain/hand ist quicker, if you have your own parameters
Means: I click the folder; see the pics; mark them all or single ones with "STRG" , left mousebutton, an move them
On the same HD they are move, on a other HD they are copied

I do the same, with (Picture) Folders...
As i said: XN-View is very Close to that, what i search; but finaly just a tool..

-------------
3rd
WebBrwoser (PlugIN)

On the windows side you will find "Torch"_Browser (based on chrome)
Okay, sometimes u have crap "add-ons" include;
but it have an extansion, which is not listeted as "Extansion"

It have a "download"_button for all Video/Audio" Files (it will split Video/Audio in 2 Files (Videofile is with sound)
Wait !!!
I knew, there are a lot of download-plugins in the (chrome)store;
but the all (since few months) blocked an websites like "You-tube"

With torch, it doesn't  matter if i am on "the pet"-Site, or tube; if it is a movie... it will download it

Whenever i try to find (google) the secret of this plug-In... no Answer;
and it seems, it is a feature of torch; as it is "ICE" for Peppermint (I duno find "ICE" on any other linux Distribution)

Thx 4 ur help !!!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Software - recommandation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:13:14 am »
Which version of Peppermint ?

and why Chrome instead of Firefox (which has many more plugins available) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »
Sry.; I forgot Version Nr. of Peppermint. It's the latest one "X" incl. updates

OT:
Why Chrome?
Cause:
1st : Peppermint is the only one with ice; so i have to solved this problem on other Linux-Distris (Single-Window) with Chrome (settings->Desktop-Window)
2nd: Chrome 66 (on Window 65) is the last one, without any surplus in the Status-Line; so the frame of the window is slime (1 pixel, and a small status line) (other/later versions have any information-lines about flashplugin, or it shows me a key etc. etc) - for my use, i want as slim as poss
2nd a: There is only one (really), maybe few other websites, why i use Chrome (newspaper/local ones)
and for the oninegame (Flashbased/ The Settlers online (diesiedleronline); and there is one plug-in (pinky), i only found in chrome (till-yet)

3rd: FireFox lost me 2-3 years before; cause politics, cause term of use, Shop (Plug-Ins) went "wired", it became more and more havy;
so it's only the 2nd choise - cause other "Newspaper-Sites" refuse chrome-based browser, even when u switch off all "Add-Blockers or script-blockers
3rd a This summer (Europa) some NewspaperSite changed "their building/programming" so that i have to use "opera" (Arghhhhhh)

This on Linux-Site:
Side-command; I Used Peppermint 5 and 6 since long time (running on elder Hardware; cause it's slim, fast (5-6 sec booting, that's it)
(p.e. Atom270, AMD-E350 and E450); cause it have all, what i need (as "Privat-User")
All what have to do with work/graphics is still running on Win (7, 8.1) - but it's more and more difficult to install this OS on newwer Hardware (cause drivers); and a VM is not a real solution
So i run since years dual-boot (tryed Lubunt* and Linux Min* (LXDE-Version (Unofficial one)) beside Peppermint (Till i couldsolved -thx to your help)- PM6 was my prefered one; otherwise PM would lost me, with 7 and up; cause i am old fashioned one (Look&feeling)
In this years i have to learn by my own, how to install Programs (XN-View) with Gdebi, and, also with the terminal (still big secret for me)

Why do i run all 3 OS? Cause p.e. on "The settlers Online" I have different results (Graphics); even when i made "zoom" 110%
For me it's funny, cause i run on all 3 chrome 66 and this flash-plug in (in early times Pepperflash-nonfree)

So, summary: Once, when the "Computer"/Software runs stable, i duno made any upgrade, only , when it is absolut needed (p.e. remember lubuntu 17.10)

Why Peppermint? Cause it was from beginning on very easy to install (and fast), and !!!!! it knows a lot of hardwares (I duno why), mostly the WiFi-Cards; and, it use less space on the HD (for my use)
Under PM 6 i only used 4-5 GB HD-Space for PM 6
For newwer Machines (with 32 GB build in) very usefull; even when on the other side runsWin 10 (The latest politics of M$ don't allow anymore machines with 32 GB - so this is absolutly weired; even with this sensless "update-order (all half year, one more corrupt than the other; so i have to switch right in time, before there is only Win 10 only available)

Hope, u get all of my answer/got a glue, what i mean. Thx

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 11:43:37 am »
There is XnViewMP for Linux
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

32bit
https://download.xnview.com/XnViewMP-linux.deb

64bit
https://download.xnview.com/XnViewMP-linux-x64.deb

In Peppermint 10 you can also install nemo-preview
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install nemo-preview
then if you click the spacebar whilst any image file is highlighted it'll open a preview window.

That said, why do you need this .. aren't the thumbnails in nemo enough ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 07:19:40 pm »

In Peppermint 10 you can also install nemo-preview
That said, why do you need this .. aren't the thumbnails in nemo enough ?

Nope; not really;
cause when i am in Detail-Modus the "previews" are too small ( I knew, icould use zoom) or folders to big
and i prefer the view "detail"

So, this nemo-preview will help. Thx for this
Can i put a shortcut on the right-mouse-button; instead space-bar?

Question: Is this only working with Peppermint?
I have "Nemo" (latest version) on a other computer too; try to install it - doesn't work; even not with the software-packet-Manager
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:15:44 pm by LordKaan »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
Question: Is this only working with Peppermint?
I have "Nemo" (latest version) on a other computer too; try to install it - doesn't work; even not with the software-packet-Manager

Sorry I can't answer what works (or not) on other distros .. should work on Mint, and **should** theoretically work on any distro that implements Nemo correctly, but I can't say whether they do or not.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 05:59:57 pm »
Thx. anyway
I am happy - it worked