Choose style:

Author Topic: Keyboard Shortcuts for moving windows to different workspaces  (Read 244 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for moving windows to different workspaces
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 02:26:29 pm »
AFAIK if an application uses it's own keybindings, and that application is in focus, the app specific keybindings take precedence.
(but don't quote me on that always being the case)

The terminal for example uses Ctrl+C to signify 'Close/terminate the current command' so isn't used for "Copy" when the terminal window is in focus .. Copy = Ctrl+Shift+C in the terminal (and Ctrl+Shift+V = Paste).

As for the Alt+Tab / Alt+Shift+Tab conflict, you're right it does .. I can only explain that as an oversight. Peppermint's use of components from multiple desktop environments left us with two sets of keybindings we needed to reconcile (those from LXDE set via xbindkeys, and those from Xfce) .. that conflict obviously sneaked through (though it doesn't really 'conflict' as much as Alt+Shift+Tab 'simply doesn't work' because of the Alt+Tab keybinding).

I'm afraid keybindings are one of those areas where you'll just have to experiment if you want to set your own.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:29:51 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 08:26:43 pm »

Is there some reason you refuse to delete the screenlock keybinding or do you just not believe a conflict when you see one?

None.  I'm just a little annoyed that xfwm won't distinguish between keybindings with the shift key and those without.   I mean really, what's the point of even using the shift key in a keybinding if it doesn't make a difference?  Then it's just one more key you have to hit to use that keybinding...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:30:40 pm by newb85 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 11:47:18 am »
Hi newb85,

If it is a problem caused by xfwm, then you need to gripe about that with them because they are the ones who program that, not the PeppermintOS team (who only is using the xfwm).  ;)   

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 12:30:57 pm »
Hi newb85,

If it is a problem caused by xfwm, then you need to gripe about that with them because they are the ones who program that, not the PeppermintOS team (who only is using the xfwm).  ;)   

Regards,

-- Slim

Indeed.  Thanks! Since XFCE is a default component of Peppermint, I do think this has a place on the discussion forum.  I did not start this thread to be a gripe, but rather a request for assistance.  It just kind of morphed in that direction... :-[

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »
Hi newb85,

I understand how that can happen. I just wanted to point you in the right direction.

The PeppermintOS Team can try to help you with your issue, but if it comes from outside programming "errors" there is not really that much that the team can do. In such cases it is best to try to get help from the "source" of the problem (in this case, the xfwm programmers).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome