Choose style:

Author Topic: Keyboard Shortcuts for moving windows to different workspaces  (Read 245 times)

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Keyboard Shortcuts for moving windows to different workspaces
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:21:20 pm »
Just jumped over from Ubuntu 14.04 to Peppermint 10 (18.04), and I'm a really big fan of how lightweight and slick things are.

That said, there is one major thing that bothers me.  In Ubuntu, I could move the current window to a different workspace with [Ctrl][Alt][Shift]Arrow keys.  And it would appear that this is set up in the keyboard shortcuts of Peppermint 10 by default.  Thing is, it doesn't seem to be working for me.  Is there something I'm missing?

Also, it would be stellar if there was some way (without making the DE much less leightweight) to have some sort of animation when I switch workspaces, to visualize which way I'm moving.

Thanks!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for moving windows to different workspaces
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »
Move active window to next workspace = Ctrl+Alt+End

Move active window to previous workspace = Ctrl+Alt+Home

Move active window to workspace 1 = Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-1

Move active window to workspace 2 = Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-2

and if you set more than 2 active workspaces - Move active window to workspace n = Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-n
(where n is a number)

Go to next workspace = Ctrl+Alt+Right

Go to previous workspace = Ctrl+Alt+Left

Using the shift key as a key modifier along with the left/right/up/down keys would conflict with other keybindings .. try shift+left in say nemo or a text document and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, welcome to the forum :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:15:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:10:56 pm »
Thanks!  Yes, those worked as you described.  I would very much like to tweak this to work the way I'm used to, but alas, I think my best bet is to get used to what's there.  Apparently, it Ctrl-Alt-Shift together are not distinguished from Ctrl-Alt.  I tried to assign Ctrl-Alt-Shift-l to move window to previous desktop, and it mistook it for Ctrl-Alt-l, which is set up for lxlock.   I know it's bad form to complain about a distro that I just voluntarily switched to, but it seems like a bug that the keyboard shortcuts that are set up by default in PCC using Shift do not work.  (E.g., <Alt><Shift>Tab is no different from <Alt>Tab, even though it should cycle in reverse.)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 03:25:22 am »
I use
Code: [Select]
Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3, Alt+4
To move windows to different workspaces.

To move to another workspace
Alt+Left, Alt+Right
Those are the arrow keys by the way.
For lockscreen
Alt+l

All depends on what you are used to. In every Linux I have used I always use the above. I'm not bothered about resizing windows, or snapping them. I like things to be as simple as possible.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 12:20:26 pm »
I don't disagree.  But I go back to this: shift key functionality in the system keyboard shortcuts is broken, even though it's used for a few of the default shortcuts.  That seems like a bug (or at least a config issue).  If the shift key won't work, it shouldn't be an option (and it shouldn't be used by default).

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »
Hi newb85,

On my machines I frequently use the Shift key when creating customized keyboard shortcuts or when changing existing ones to ones that I prefer that use the Shift key. All work fine for me.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:47 pm »
Shift will work as a modifier for a lot of keys, just not Right/Left/Up/Down .. I'm not seeing the issue here, there are always keybinding combos you can't shouldn't enter on any distro because they'll cause conflicts with existing ones.

If you REALLY want to use shift as a modifier with Right/Left/Up/Down it can be done, but it's YOUR responsibility to remove any conflicting keybindings.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:12:23 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 05:28:23 am »
Okay, PCNetSpec, help me understand what you mean.  Are you saying that it should work except for conflicting key bindings in applications that are currently open?  And that if I disable them in those applications or don't have those applications running, the system key bindings will work?  The shift arrow key bindings are extremely common for lots of applications on lots of systems.  Why were they never an issue in Ubuntu Unity?  Another one that isn't working for me is shift alt tab.  I suppose because shift tab means something somewhere else.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 07:32:42 am »
I tried to assign Ctrl-Alt-Shift-l to move window to previous desktop, and it mistook it for Ctrl-Alt-l, which is set up for lxlock.

That would be an example of a conflicting keybinding you might want to remove.

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 05:32:43 am »
How is that conflicting? One uses shift and the other doesn't!

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 08:40:34 am »
If you try to press the four keys of the one, you have to press the three keys of the other first. How could that not be a conflict?

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 05:27:56 am »
As long as the Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys were pressed first, there would be no conflict...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 09:33:40 am »
And yet there clearly is a conflict, so that's obviously not how keybindings work.

Do you really think people would not only remember keybinding key combinations, but also remember and adhere to sequence ?

Under your scheme one should theoretically also be able to set a sequence of say  - Ctrl then Shift then L then Alt - and have a completely different binding occur (as well as say Alt then L then Shift then Ctrl) .. so why shouldn't Ctrl then Alt then L then Shift also be a valid sequence ? (but wait, that breaks Ctrl+Alt+L)

That way lies confusion and insanity...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:40:07 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:48 pm »
You're right, order is a terrible answer.

If this is how conflicts work, what's to stop a conflict every time a subset of the keys used just happen to be another keybinding?  That would mean, for example, every time Ctrl and C, Ctrl and V, Ctrl and X, or Ctrl and P were used it would cause a confict with word processors and spreadsheet apps.  For that matter, what's to stop there being a conflict every time the arrow keys or tab or Home or End are used, as they do something by themselves in most applications?

And there are default keybindings set up in Peppermint 10 that conflict with each other...  (E.g., <Alt><Tab> conflicts with <Alt><Shift><Tab>.)  Did the peppermint team do this intentionally, or did they have the same misconception as me about how keybindings work (namely, that they shouldn't conflict with subsets)?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 02:13:09 pm »
what's to stop there being a conflict every time the arrow keys or tab or Home or End are used, as they do something by themselves in most applications?

The difference between global keybindings and application-specific ones.

Is there some reason you refuse to delete the screenlock keybinding or do you just not believe a conflict when you see one?