Choose style:

Author Topic: ASUS EZ FLASH stupid question  (Read 137 times)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
ASUS EZ FLASH stupid question
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:36:16 am »
Hi good people, i have a dumb question i think i already know the answer to already but need an affirmation.

My ASUS MB has this EZ FLASH radio button in the UEFI/BIOS that supposedly, (I'm guessing), Is supposed to just press it and it automatically updates the BIOS.

I'm guessing that this function would only apply if this machine was running Windows which of course it is not.

If and when I feel it would be necessary to do so, what would be the correct proceedure  to follow so as not to turn my tower into a glorified door stop?

This is what i have at the moment and have no idea if there are any updates to the BIOS at present and since I cold boot in total of 5 sec. and reboot in 3.5 sec., you can probably see why im hesitant to even either try the button or download a BIOS image to a flash drive in fat32, a BIOS update with things working so well with no problems.

Machine:   Device: desktop System: ASUS product: All Series serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-A v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2201 date: 03/09/2015

Any and all information gladly excepted from more knowledgeable folks than myself here in the Pep Forum.

I am hoping i have explained this well enough.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, The Omen

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:37:59 am by The Omen »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: ASUS EZ FLASH stupid question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:08 am »

I'm guessing that this function would only apply if this machine was running Windows which of course it is not.

No, it will be independent of the OS.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 12:05:06 pm »
Hello Omen, my 2008 ASUS Windows 8 ready, which after many good years of service as a gaming, streaming, Linux Hopping machine is now running as a Home Theater PC running Pep 10 and streaming NETFLIX, KODI, Amazon Prime and playing my DVDs. I updated the bios to 2015 version and left it alone. It is running really well. I'd say leave the bios, as obviously it's doing it's job.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 02:39:24 pm »
OOOOKAY then, Does this mean that if i just press that "EZ Flash"  button in the BIOS, then go for "Internet Install"  method, Followed by the "DHCP" method verses the "Fixed IP address" method on this exclusively Pep 9 respin machine, The only OS installed, That it would just automatically update the bios via "Internet Install then DHCP"???

At this moment in time, I have absolutely no intention of doing so.

I truly believe "If it ain't broken, Don't fix it" philosophy.

Just need to know for future if this is the case with no further fuss, muss, or bother.

Regards, The Omen
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:04:27 pm by The Omen »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 04:34:39 pm »
If it's doing it from the BIOS, the OS isn't booted yet .. it must be OS independent.

But as others have said, if everything is working why risk a BIOS update .. they ALWAYS come with a risk of bricking
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 08:51:52 pm »
OOOOKAY then, Does this mean that if i just press that "EZ Flash"  button in the BIOS, then go for "Internet Install"  method, Followed by the "DHCP" method verses the "Fixed IP address" method on this exclusively Pep 9 respin machine, The only OS installed, That it would just automatically update the bios via "Internet Install then DHCP"???

At this moment in time, I have absolutely no intention of doing so.

I truly believe "If it ain't broken, Don't fix it" philosophy.

Just need to know for future if this is the case with no further fuss, muss, or bother.

Regards, The Omen

Just leave it alone it's fine, as like PCNetSpec said updating it could brick the bios. From not reading ram properly, to not being able to read CPU and motherboard temperatures accurately enough. Like you said If it ain't broke, Don't fix it." The only time in my honest opinion to update a bios, is when you have like a brand spanking new AMD Ryzen 3600 supported motherboard, but it has not got the correct bios installed. All those people who rushed out to buy the latest tech, without waiting a while first, were seeing errors in the bios updates, where it would not post, or to the point where it would post and they managed to install a Proprietary system and then it just switch off by itself. My point being Omen don't do it, can you hear me?  :)) Don't do it, can you still hear me? :)) Don't bother doing it. I'm only fooling with ya mate. But please don't do it? Think of the little Dizzy Egg men? They'll be upset, you do know it is them that operate your computer? They'll be  :'( and  :( instead of and
Poor little guys they'd be. So on a serious note Clatterfordslim has gone bananas for Dizzy Egg men, his eyes have become He's turned into a great big girt, mammoth egg thing. Here is a photograph reporters took of him earlier, with a very old 17th century camera.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:55:18 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 03:50:37 am »
I only wish you guys knew my "Linux mentor", He is in my church, he has already told me these same things many times already and told me just let it be.

The system he helped me build runs just runs fine,

i guess im too young and stupid not to realize what he is telling me.

He says you guys know him but he is "persona non grata" ( do not really know what this means but i think you guys might be having a war with him),  and I should never mention him, so that i can be someone in my own right here in the forum.

Yet he told me to join this forum in particular because it is the best one for me.

I don't have the guts to ask him why, But would I, considering he is guarded by Marine corps lance corporals at all times?

He is an old man and they SALUTE him and say yes sir and no sir at all times.

He is an old supposedly "retired" guy.

I really need to add that he is really a good guy.

If i didnt already have a good mom and dad, he would be the one I would choose to have as my dad.

I should add that though i try to project myself as an older person, i only just turned 18 this month.

I couldn't even spell or use english in a correct fashion without the help of my "mentor" over the last 2 yrs.

Warm regards to all, The Omen

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:03:48 am by The Omen »

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 05:28:47 am »
Now I'm curious, who is this mentor? It could be anyone, surely not Serge? Though I don't think anyone is at odds with him. He is the only person I know who has such a repertoire of Linux and he's French, plus he knows everything from memory he is a living breathing Linux encyclopedia. His favorite OS is Gentoo and he is always willing to help people out, especially on YouTube. He's helped me out in the past, with Linux QT Desktop I had stumbled across, he is a really, really good bloke and is retired. Do not break your promise OK I really do not want you getting into trouble.  ;D

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 07:05:59 pm »
HI clatterfordslim, Sorry it took so long to get back to you: And NO, it is not Serge.

You can be totally assured i will not ever "break" my promise.

He makes my parents look "Tame" by comparison and they are very strict with me.

He is the ONLY one in the entire church they trust to teach me, instruct me, and also to be with when they are unavailable.  I trust him too with good reason.

(I have been known to get into trouble and problems when left to myself), so that is not happening anymore since my "mentor" went to bat for me, in court and is the only reason i am not in jail for the next three to five years and only have 2 years probabation to do instead.

(Part of the probation is I am either with my parents or with him, no exceptions to the rule).

(He is not only a former cop but some sort of "baby einstein" with D.O.D in this country and knows something about cryptology).

He says he is "retired", YEP, right. i REALLY believe that one, heheheh.

He is something that I heard a prosecutor and my lawer call a "Friend of The Court",  during my trial, whatever that means, but i think that might be something more important than i realize so as never to want to be in trouble again.

So I think you all now know why I hold this guy in very high regard.

I could not even spell or put a sentence together without mispelling or stuttering before he got ahold of me in 2016 and worked with me for 2 hours a week starting off with teaching me all about computers, and then Linux in general, as opposed to Microsoft Windows or Macs, and then many versions of Linux, until I finally agreed with him the Peppermint was best for me.

That does not include him giving me what he calls" bible discussion" time, He refuses to call it "bible study time" because it is not structured, it is what ever comes up at a given time for what I need to know, as I need to know it, and what applies to me at any given time.
 He also got me Involved in school to play football because he says it will be good for me to know how to be a team player as well as getting me "off my duff" as he puts it.

I do all my school work that needs to be done on-line with Peppermint,
(I am also not allowed to use a computer, cell phone, or whatever unless he is present, by court order,  so my computer he and I built together is kept at his house and is not allowed to be in my personal possession until my probation is over when im 20).

I have finally been taught respect and humility and he will bust my ass if i do not learn my lesson and appreciate the break i just got.

That is why I told you before that if i did not already have great parents, He would be the guy i would otherwise choose to be my Dad. He is tough but he is fair, and he cared enough about me to be there when I thought I really screwed up, (And i REALLY DID SCREW UP VERY BADLY),  and was going to jail.

He is the one that got all sorts of help for me with the court, prosecutor's and the Judge. My lawyer told me that it was my "mentor" not him, that got me off so light.

He pulled a lot of strings so i kinda guess that for an old man, he still exerts a little authority somewhere.

I do not think it would ever be in my best interest to ever test how far that goes.

I did mention before the 2 U.S.M.C. Lance Corporals that transport him everywhere, even to the stores to shop, and they always salute him even though he always tells them to stop it.

They have their house right next to his that is totally fenced off with gates and lots of lights and motion sensor alarms on at night in what they call the compound.

Yes, i just turned 18, but in a "church" community, we have more exacting, stricter, but very close, "societal makeup" and standards then most here in the forums may have been brought up in.

He tutors me in both History and English, My weakest subjects and also helped me get a double promotion in school this year which is good since i was "kept back" 2 years in a row in school, so im now up one year more than i was.

Unless i get another "double" i will not graduate until im 19.

He is the "uncle" or maybe "grandpa" i never had since i was officially adopted by my own grandparents at 3 years old to raise as their own, so to me, they are mom and dad.

It has been very good for me, and he has gotten me out of quite a few scrapes because he is quite well known and respected, (He was not always a "christian"), and definitely knows both sides of the fence and is always for some reason, at least three steps ahead of me for an old man, heheheh.

I know this is long and rambling, but he also told me to just stop being a liar and tell the truth and that this will always be better for me to do because if i ever want to be trusted, I have to always be faithful and truthful. (Semper Fidelis)???

He is here with me right now but never tells me what i should write, only what i can't write that might give him away as to who he is since he knows that he does not communicate well with others and the reason why he has a lifetime ban on this forum.

He is a member of another forum though that as he says, "I don't know why they never banned me yet", but he is guessing that they might not have the higher standards that you folks have here.

This is why he pushed me in this direction and I don't doubt him, he has been right with me so far.

And believe it or not, He still has the highest regard for this forum and it's members despite his own peronal battle with one person that got him banned.

He will never tell me,  who or what happened, but that is just something else really good about this old man. He has taught me by his own example about having respect and integrity and regard for others. He taught me to say, "yes sir, and no sir", and really mean it.

Warm Regards,

The Omen
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:33:07 am by The Omen »