Choose style:

Author Topic: Full install on (EXTERNAL) HDD (SOLVED)  (Read 215 times)

Offline jjpwn1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Full install on (EXTERNAL) HDD (SOLVED)
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:57:02 am »
Trying to do a full Install on HDD. Plan is to set a liveUSB to do a full install on my HDD.
Trying to setup a liveUSB using rufus gives me this error.
I can only use MBR because my computer is old and is still using BIOS

Attempting to use a VirtualBox instead installs correctly onto my harddrive, but upon booting onto it will yield an previous error from Rufus.
My question is, is there a way to do a complete reset on my HDD? I thought that formatting the whole USB would do the trick.
Secondly, how do I set up my partition table during setup? One setup requires setting up an ext4 partition with a /boot mountpoint, and frankly I can't even tell the difference between that and the "reserved bios area" option.
Edit: Here is my partition table(ntfs partition used for storing files only)

This is my first time ever doing anything with Linux so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: 
I decided to switch to a new computer with UEFI support, disabled secure boot and changed the boot order, used a liveUSB to install the OS on the external HDD.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:02:47 am by jjpwn1 »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Full install on (EXTERNAL) HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:20:54 pm »
Hi jjpwn, are you trying to make a bootable usb memory to use as an installation media? Is this a 4tib external hard drive you are going to install Peppermint on? How many partitions do you want on the hard drive?
What was I thinking?

Offline jjpwn1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 05:18:35 pm »
Hi jjpwn, are you trying to make a bootable usb memory to use as an installation media? Is this a 4tib external hard drive you are going to install Peppermint on? How many partitions do you want on the hard drive?

Hello,
I am trying to somehow get the external hard drive bootable while also having the full installation on it. This is a 4 TB external hard drive. As for my partitions, the picture shows 4 partitions, 1 for swap, 1 for the bios, 1 for my root partition, and a another ntfs partition so that I can use it to mainly  store files and also to be able to access it natively from Windows AND Linux.
I'm not really sure what setting a bios partition does. Some guides even suggest to create a separate /home partition. What are those used for? Thank you
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:20:19 pm by jjpwn1 »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:41:51 pm »
in Rufus the file system is set as NTFS so try changing it to something else, like FAT32 maybe.

Offline jjpwn1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:09:38 pm »
in Rufus the file system is set as NTFS so try changing it to something else, like FAT32 maybe.

That was unfortunately one of the problems I had with Rufus. For some reason, NTFS was my only option. The drop-down menu does not list FAT32 as an option.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 10:02:50 pm »
I think your main problem is you need to create a bootable usb memory stick with Rufus. From the looks of it, you're trying to burn the Peppermint iso into the hard drive.

Could you post a photo of your main harddrive?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:28:37 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline jjpwn1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:26:03 am »
I think your main problem is you need to create a bootable usb memory stick with Rufus. From the looks of it, you're trying to burn the Peppermint iso into the hard drive.

Could you post a photo of your main harddrive?

HDD was unused before install. Also formatted it incase before using Rufus. As for the hard drive, it's a WD MY Passport 4 TB.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 06:03:51 am »
Blimey 4TB is usually used just for storage, as I have my WD Passport 4TB. As for Rufus, you need at least 4 to 8GB USB Stick to install Peppermint install ISO on, the bigger the capacity the better, but you'd probably get away with 2GB. Trying to install the ISO on a hard drive, especially one that size Rufus cannot read it properly. These WD Passport drives comes with a backup program on them. This is a Windows 10 backup program, plus I think it uploads stuff to their one cloud as well as saving it onto your 4TB drive. I got rid of it on mine and just use it for everything computer related, mainly Linux scripts and tutorial things, music, Steam Games and other stuff.  ;D  Is this to be used externally on a Laptop or Desktop?? If your answer is Desktop have you got enough room to install it internally?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:09:57 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:12:03 am »
You need to boot into a live session using a usb memory stick. While in the live session, you can fire up gparted and make any changes to the harddrive partitioning you want. You only need two partitions on your harddrive, the one you install Peppermint on and the other ntfs partition you mention. While in the live session, click on install Peppermint and select "Something else" as type of installation, Then select the partition you want to install Peppermint on, format it to ext4 with the mount point as (/), that will be the root partition. For Peppermint 10, you don't need a swap partition and for an mbr file system you don't need the bios partition. I always recommend a DATA partition which is symlinked to your home folders so if your thinking about that it would be a good idea to create it before installing.  Normally, you only need a partition of about 30gb to install Peppermint on and the rest of the 2tib you were allowing for Peppermint you would make another partition formatted to ext4 with no mount point. I don't use a /home partition because the MAN advised against it. The reason for the DATA partition is in case you have to reinstall Peppermint for some reason, or you just want to change distros, with Linux, everything is your choice.
What was I thinking?

Offline jjpwn1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 08:16:33 pm »
Blimey 4TB is usually used just for storage, as I have my WD Passport 4TB. As for Rufus, you need at least 4 to 8GB USB Stick to install Peppermint install ISO on, the bigger the capacity the better, but you'd probably get away with 2GB. Trying to install the ISO on a hard drive, especially one that size Rufus cannot read it properly. These WD Passport drives comes with a backup program on them. This is a Windows 10 backup program, plus I think it uploads stuff to their one cloud as well as saving it onto your 4TB drive. I got rid of it on mine and just use it for everything computer related, mainly Linux scripts and tutorial things, music, Steam Games and other stuff.  ;D  Is this to be used externally on a Laptop or Desktop?? If your answer is Desktop have you got enough room to install it internally?

The goal is to make the device very portable, so unfortunately installing it internally isn't ideal for me.

Offline jjpwn1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 08:23:08 pm »
You need to boot into a live session using a usb memory stick. While in the live session, you can fire up gparted and make any changes to the harddrive partitioning you want. You only need two partitions on your harddrive, the one you install Peppermint on and the other ntfs partition you mention. While in the live session, click on install Peppermint and select "Something else" as type of installation, Then select the partition you want to install Peppermint on, format it to ext4 with the mount point as (/), that will be the root partition. For Peppermint 10, you don't need a swap partition and for an mbr file system you don't need the bios partition. I always recommend a DATA partition which is symlinked to your home folders so if your thinking about that it would be a good idea to create it before installing.  Normally, you only need a partition of about 30gb to install Peppermint on and the rest of the 2tib you were allowing for Peppermint you would make another partition formatted to ext4 with no mount point. I don't use a /home partition because the MAN advised against it. The reason for the DATA partition is in case you have to reinstall Peppermint for some reason, or you just want to change distros, with Linux, everything is your choice.

I will try to get a separate USB stick to boot into live session. However, does that mean I would need to carry two storage devices. the bootable usb stick and the HDD to  run PeppermentOS on a full installation? Additionally, I noticed that the bootmenu for PeppermentOS has an option to boot from a hard drive. Would I select that option to actually use the OS? Ideally I do not want to always start from a fresh-state. Lastly, I'm not really sure what to do for the"device from boot-loader installation"  dropdown menu. I was using VIrtualBox to run my live-session before which resulted in the OS not detecting any other storage, obviously if I were to boot from my PC it would be a bit more complicated.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:23 pm »
Jjpwn1, you are making this way more complicated than it is. The usb live session is basically only for trying out the distro and installing it if you like it. Once you have installed it on your external harddrive, you would plug it in and boot it up exactly like you booted the usb stick, end of story. If you are not sure of how to use rufus, search on the internet for how to use it, I can't tell you because I don't use rufus.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:05:18 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 10:17:49 am »
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4350.msg43364.html#msg43364

Thanks boss, I knew I read something about rufus somewhere, but I couldn't remember.
Jjpwn1, check out the tutorial sections for good information about how to do stuff in Peppermint, including creating a DATA partition.
What was I thinking?

Offline Howling Wolf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 07:40:09 am »
Hi, instead of struggling with Rufus you can try EasyToBoot, I am using it for years without any problem: http://www.easy2boot.com/