Choose style:

Author Topic: Play Windows-only games on Linux with Steam Play  (Read 117 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Play Windows-only games on Linux with Steam Play
« on: September 23, 2019, 06:00:55 pm »
As nobody has mentioned this yet: I can play Age of Empires 2 on my Peppermint machine now, thanks to Steam Play.
Steam is using its own fork of Wine. Here is a tutorial how to enable Linux support for games that are listed as Windows-only:

https://itsfoss.com/steam-play/

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Play Windows-only games on Linux with Steam Play
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:04:58 pm »
I thought Steams Proton has been mentioned/covered on here a number of times and is about the best thing since automated bread slicers .. happy to hear you've found it though :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:08:39 am »
The good news has finally reached me. ;)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:16:43 am »
Although all my computers have Peppermint on them and I have a gaming Peppermint Drive too. I installed Salient OS, which Silent Robot has already sorted out the Drivers needed to play every AAA title you can think of. I installed from backup Resident Evil 2 Remake and it just works out of the box, no need to add Egg Rolls version of Proton to run Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7 or any other Windows based games, they just work out of the box in Salient OS, without having to do anything. I did not realize just how good Salient is, although it will never take me away from the Pep it certainly has shocked me though. Plus it's the new version of XFCE 4.14 or whatever number it is now? Runs really well. I will have to ask Silent for some expertise in getting Peppermint to do the same, as Silent has written scripts to add to the OS to make it as close to using a Proprietary OS as possible. As in all your games working out of the bag. Amazing stuff and he certainly knows his stuff too. Plus it's Arch which can be a pain in it self to get anything going, especially if you're like me and don't know where to start? It will never ever take me away from this OS, just had not tried Salient for gaming before and I just needed to see what all the fuss was about. Gobsmacked is the word, never has my gob ever been so smacked in all of it's noisy years being here on this planet.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:18:20 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 09:55:55 am »
@clatterfordslim: Thanks for your well written and funny comment! Do you happen to write stories, poems or opinionated tech reviews?

As regards Salient OS: I don't trust rolling release distributions. I'm too cautious (and a little lazy) for using them. :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 10:39:44 am »
@clatterfordslim: Thanks for your well written and funny comment! Do you happen to write stories, poems or opinionated tech reviews?

As regards Salient OS: I don't trust rolling release distributions. I'm too cautious (and a little lazy) for using them. :)

I'm currently writing a children's book I'm on page 6000 at the moment, a very long bedtime story.  :)) It's aimed at teenagers and young adults actually. I also have my YouTube channel aimed at people coming to Linux for the first time, doing tutorials, live streaming of games all for the love of Linux no monetization all free.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)