Choose style:

Author Topic: "Modern games look beautiful on CRT monitors"  (Read 766 times)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
"Modern games look beautiful on CRT monitors"
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:42:44 am »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

We played modern games on a CRT monitor - and the results are phenomenal

Better than any LCD, if you ask us.

Article by Richard Leadbetter, Technology Editor, Digital Foundry
Updated on 17 September 2019

It's true. Running modern games on a vintage CRT monitor produces absolutely outstanding results - subjectively superior to anything from the LCD era, up to and including the latest OLED displays. Best suited for PC players, getting an optimal CRT set-up isn't easy, and prices vary dramatically, but the results can be simply phenomenal.

The advantages of CRT technology over modern flat panels are well-documented. CRTs do not operate from a fixed pixel grid in the way an LCD does - instead three 'guns' beam light directly onto the tube. So there's no upscaling blur and no need to run at any specific native resolution as such. On lower resolutions, you may notice 'scan lines' more readily, but the fact is that even lower resolution game outputs like 1024x768 or 1280x960 can look wonderful. Of course, higher-end CRTs can input and process higher resolutions, but the main takeaway here is that liberation from a set native resolution is a gamechanger - why spend so many GPU resources on the amount of pixels drawn when you can concentrate on quality instead without having to worry about upscale blurring?

Continues...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: "Modern games look beautiful on CRT monitors"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:31:14 pm »
Certainly better colours from a CRT, but think how big the back would be on say a 35" ultrawide CRT .. not to mention the crane you'd need to lift it, hell I had a 21" Sony FD Trinitron CRT monitor (F520) that caused a solid wood (not chipboard) desk to bow REALLY badly after a while (after taking two of us to lift it on there in the first place, and even that was a struggle).

Remember VGA to BNC cables ???

Wish I still had that FD Trinitron, was a beautiful piece of kit :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:42:23 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:06:39 pm »
Certainly better colours from a CRT, but think how big the back would be on say a 35" ultrawide CRT .. not to mention the crane you'd need to lift it, hell I had a 21" Sony FD Trinitron CRT monitor (F520) that caused a solid wood (not chipboard) desk to bow REALLY badly after a while (after taking two of us to lift it on there in the first place, and even that was a struggle).

Remember VGA to BNC cables ???

Wish I still had that FD Trinitron, was a beautiful piece of kit :(

They were the bees knees. I still have two CRT monitors up at my parents house, just have not cleared my old bedroom out yet properly. Will do one day but CRT monitors like you say PCNetSpec are way too heavy. Even the two small ones I have one if I recall is a Tiny brand and the other is something else, I remember using them in the caravan I used to live in. I don't miss having to move out for two months of the year carrying those around with us. If only they could make the same tech, but lighter? Yes LCD screens are all the rage, but the colours can sometimes be wrong compared to the range CRT's have. Talking about colour, do you remember when colour TV's weighed the same if not heavier? I still have a 1984 21" Grundig German made Colour TV. I used to put my Acorn Electron through it, absolutely fantastic picture. It's all well and good manufacturers coming up with new and wonderful LCD monitors, that weigh less than a feather, but they lack a certain Je Ne Sais Quoi that the CRT's had in my view. The resolutions you can get out of these old CRT's just goes to show that all the resolutions we know today, were there already all those years ago.  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:22:03 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:38:00 am »
Anyone remember the Panasonic PanaFlat PF70 17" monitor .. I thought that was the greatest thing ever until I managed to permanently 'borrow' that 21" Trinitron from a doctor who's network I looked after.

Back then a truly flat monitor was mindblowing .. ten minutes later, everything went LCD.

Ahh, those were the days .. when we used to think cr*p was awesome .. Oh the sweet sweet memories
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:43:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 10:45:00 am »
I had a REALLY hard time accepting LCD flat panel displays. The color rendering is horribly inaccurate and clownish in appearance.  No amount of fiddling around with the settings will make them right, either - just tolerable.  Flat panel LCD TV sets are no better IMO.

I'm running a three-monitor Dell LED-backlit LCD tree (configured as four displays), and it's impossible to get the color, hue, and brightness to match one another.

The trick, during setup, is to give LCD displays at least an hour to warm-up and settle-in before attempting to adjust anything. The same applies later, when you're going to do any critical graphic work. I learned this on a professional photography website. That said, even then, it's impossible to get a 100% accurate rendition.

So, why do I bother, you might ask?   ;D

The last CRT monitor I was considering purchasing was almost $1000.00 USD. It consumed so much power, and generated so much heat, that it required on internal cooling fan; plus, it weighed 75 pounds. Shipping costs alone were almost $100.00 USD. Now, multiple that times four, and you can see my dilemma.

Yes, CRTs rule and LCDs drool, but what's a person to do?!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 02:03:44 pm »
Not to mention you'd need some serious desk scaffolding
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:05:20 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 03:32:50 pm »
When I watched a flat tv screen for the very first time, I thought the screen was curved. My eyes were used to the old screens, but after a while my eyes were used to the flat screen.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:36:05 pm by Johan »
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
Was there not radiation that came out of these CRT monitors as well? They weighed a ton, as so did the first flat screen TV's. Took four of us to lift one of those down the road to the van. Over 2000 pounds paid for one and a whole week spent at the chiropractor, yes they were good TV's but they did not warn you in the manual

Code: [Select]
May put back out when trying to lift it

Should of used one of these

Or been much fitter and done a lot of OR   

By the time we got it setup and running we were all looking

And the moral of this story is, don't rush to buy something you or your body will regret.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:29:31 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 10:35:01 pm »
Yeah, I had pretty good eye sight until I got into computers .. dropped away very quickly sitting two feet away from a CRT (which I still maintain was connected).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 10:42:30 pm »
But even Laptop computers can give you eye strain, I have bad eye sight too after working for a 24/Self Video store here on the Island I was in charge of writing in eight lines as much detail as possible to fit on the 5.5" screen, on the machine that people were looking at when they were hiring movies, that was using Windows 7.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 10:45:43 pm »
But then my eye sight has always been bad, my eyes never tell my brain properly where things are and the thing I'm looking for is right in front of me and my eyes don't see it. 

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 06:14:45 am »
think how big the back would be on say a 35" ultrawide CRT .. not to mention the crane you'd need to lift it

Yeah, I remember why we all got rid of our CRTs as soon as possible too. I just like to get all misty-eyed and nostalgic about them sometimes.

Yeah, I had pretty good eye sight until I got into computers .. dropped away very quickly sitting two feet away from a CRT (which I still maintain was connected).

At least your monitor cables were plugged in. Many never get that far

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
LCCS: The LCD / CRT Hybrid from JVC

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:01:49 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Snow

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:51 pm »
LCCS: The LCD / CRT Hybrid from JVC

Wow that's insane. Cool technology.

I do find it sad in some ways that the CRT went the way of the dinosaur. I still have a 16 inch Toshiba (one of the last models made in 2006) that has less than 100 hours on it, that I now use for my old consoles. And mentioning old consoles, console video output was programmed by the scan line. I read a technical article, that if you want to speedrun classic mario, you can only do it on a CRT. If you try via an emulator or actual console on an LCD, the video lags 1 frame behind, which to insane speedrunners, is critical. I had an idea once, of creating a OLED screen that would emulate CRTs, by emulating the scanline - rather than filling a buffer with the image first and then displaying it. Even the pixel arrangement would have the same placement as the dots on a CRT. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't have the funds, or technical know how at the moment to take on that project. It would be meant for console gaming and retro arcade machines.

I do miss my Atari ST. I gave it to my wife's nephew who promised he'd keep it. It came with it's own monitor, and Ultima V looked better on that monitor than any other I've seen. :( Now I want it back. Haha.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 02:10:32 pm »
You and me both, I want my Amiga's back .. dunno why I got rid of them to begin with :(

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec