Choose style:

Author Topic: Vivaldi 2.8 ...  (Read 154 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Vivaldi 2.8 ...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:36:04 pm »
What's the USP of Vivaldi again ?

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 08:03:38 am »
What I don't get about modern phones and modern everyday OSES I'm talking Proprietary ones, is you try to uninstall say Google off your Android or Internet Explorer or Edge off of Windows 10, then you end up with both being broken. On a separate hard drive I have the horrible Windows 10 19.03 and yeah I know

Code: [Select]
You Filthy Dual Booter

The thing is though I use Firefox on Windows 10 and still end up having to use C-Cleaner to rid  cache, history off of Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. I have switched off Internet Explorer and have Firefox set to Default browser. Why the hell should we in this day and age, with Proprietary systems be told what we can and can't use? Now I know that Internet Explorer and Edge are solely used for Microsoft to spy on you with their telemetry which by the way I have switched off till the next big update. I'm so used to just having one browser, like here in Peppermint Firefox knowing that there is no way that it is using anything other than. My point being is Vivaldi is still based around Google and try as you may to use a different browser on Android you will always be tied to Google, no matter if you try to change your search engine, it still defaults to Google no matter because Android is part of Google, even if on screen you're using

Quack, Quack Go On Get Over The Road, But Please Don't Turn Around And Cross Over Again As You'll Be Holding Up All The Traffic Even More??

In the background it is still searching with Google.

I hardly use my phone it's a Android Pie 9 and in actual fact I hate it because it isn't private enough and so annoying, telling me emails that I already know about, so for privacy I have it always switched off. People seem to love their phones so much, it's to do with being popular it seems? The feeling of oh look so and so has sent me that? I understand if you use one for business, self employed and what have ya. I originally got mine because I like the Mahjong game it's got on it, plus for whatsApp app for work, but it seems no one at work uses it anymore, so I feel it is a waste of time of me having a phone. I don't know enough people to even relish the thought of being tied to a system stuck to my ear day in and out. I certainly don't have my own business and I hate talking through a machine anyway.

Why the hell the world has changed from not knowing where anyone is, to having to put up being filmed accidentally on purpose by either CCTV or mobile multimedia devices is beyond me?? It was so much better when we did not know where anyone was? Leave each other messages on the fridge door, with magnetic postcard picture things on, like my favorite, favourite (If you're English and from Britain, we spell favorite with a U, we also spell Mom as Mum.) So my Fav is
God Could Not Be Everywhere, So He Invented Grandmas.

Made me chuckle and we all used to back in the day leave messages where we've gone, what time we'd be back. Gone are those days where Tech is concerned.

So the answer as to why I have Windows 10? Gaming the usual most common answer and just two games too. Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 7. Yes I got them to work through Proton using Egg Rolls version. But because Capcom have decided to add Denovo security to their games, these games did not recognise (If you're English and from Britain we spell Recognise with a S, rather than the American with a Z.) Oh the differences between our spellings anyway I'm digressing. They did not recognize my hard drive so stopped me from running them, so I installed Windows 10 and still had that same annoying Denovo security thing, till I sussed out how to finally get it going, by getting the Denovo bot to send me a code to paste into the box on the website, then you have to wait 24hours to get it activated. I was not a happy chappy. Though I will never ever live stream through Windows I can send Windows Resident Evil game play through Steam on my Peppermint Gaming Hard Drive, because both my gaming PC's have the same Icy Docks and innards as in processors, Ram and motherboard. So could stream it to Peppermint and control it via Peppermint too. Or uninstall Windows altogether, reinstall Peppermint Gaming on same hard drive and see if I still have problems? All my other Windows games work in Linux through Proton. I just wish that all game developers would just make their games with Vulcan code included, then gaming would be so much easier in Linux.  Blimey I originally intended to write about mobile phones, Vivaldi and the like ended up with this long novel Sorry 'bout that  :D

Link to Egg Roll proton
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:16:52 pm »
Phones... err smartphones need to be renamed as virtually nobody actually makes phone calls anymore outside of our mothers and grandmothers... my buddy Alex Hernandez has an article about that over on Techaeris... https://techaeris.com/2019/09/21/maybe-its-time-to-stop-calling-them-smartphones/

As for all the snooping @clatterfordslim, there's little way-round it now. Aside from chucking all devices into the nearest river and disappearing into a forest. While Scandinavian countries and maybe Scotland still have "freedom to roam the land laws," most of the world doesn't allow that any longer.

Are you using the native email app on your android? Or have you tried bluemail, which is better about notifications, or some other off name email client? Better yet open a proton mail account for Swiss level privacy & encryption!

8)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:44:57 pm »
Yeah just using the baked in one for texts, wish I never bought the blooming thing. Thinking about going back to my Nokia, as that was not intrusive, plus I could leave it alone for about a month and it'll still be fully charged. All I wanted was a phone that could do WhatsApp but like I said in my post all my work colleagues are not using it anymore and it was them who are to blame because they twisted my arm so hard it broke off, to get this phone. Problem being if I get rid of this phone, it means having to go to my local O2 shop, get them to transfer over to my old sim card for the Nokia. I'll miss the mahjong game on Android phone which I play off line or I'll be inundated with adverts. It's a good game to play whilst on night shift too.  ;D 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 05:48:25 pm »
Bluemail for your email

and a pi-hole for advert blocking

there's the solutions Mr Slim :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 07:11:19 am »
Bluemail for your email

and a pi-hole for advert blocking

there's the solutions Mr Slim :)

Flutterhole pi-hole all I get is this error code.
SocketException: Failed host lookup: 'pi.hole' (OS Error: No address associated with hostname, errno = 7)DioError [DioErrorType.DEFAULT]:Socket Exception

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 09:10:06 am »
Personally I set both mine to have static IP's so I don't have to use hostname lookups.
(which would probably be a problem anyway if you have more than one)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:11:55 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec