Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 10 Review from Diolinux/Brazil  (Read 707 times)

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Peppermint 10 Review from Diolinux/Brazil
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:05:34 pm »
Here's a Peppermint 10 review from Brazil. Diolinux publishes all sorts of GNU/Linux related videos and he's very picky on details. It's in Portuguese, but I guess you can have it with English captions.

Anyway, if there's not a translation: He doesn't like Peppermint very much... he mostly complains about the default theme colors (too much red) and window controls (too much different colors for minimize, maximize and close buttons). He also complains about being confusing to have Gnome Software and Mint Software at the same time. He thinks Peppermint is just a "re-themed" Xubuntu/XFCE.

I can say I'm not very fond of the default theme, but nobody touches my Peppermint! 
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint 10 Review from Diolinux/Brazil
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:28:39 pm »
He thinks Peppermint is just a "re-themed" Xubuntu/XFCE.

Well that sentence right there tells me there's no point in watching this as he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and hasn't dug very deep at all ::)

[EDIT]

I have no problem with people not liking the theming, no theme pleases everyone .. but that "just a skinned Xubuntu/Xfce" sentiment is pure drivel that takes about 3 minutes research to discard/discredit.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:34:05 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 06:30:54 am »
To judge a distro on theme alone does not make sense. It is incredibly easy to customize, and you should customize it if YOU do not like it.

I still believe that Peppermint is the best (based on Ubuntu) distro out there. Easy to use, to add apps and to customize.

From a Linux perspective there isn't a feature I can think of that I don't have access to.

Haters and Trolls need to find stuff to hate on.

Sent using my Huawei Android phone, which I will continue to use even if certain countries have banned them.

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 03:45:10 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the default theme either, but there a lots of other themes, like for instance Arc dark (my favorite at the moment) or Adwaita dark.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:47:16 pm by Johan »
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 03:50:30 pm »
Hi Johan,

I really like those two themes too. I tend to prefer darker themes.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:35:10 pm »
I'm happy enough with the default theme.

Sure, I play around with the panel a little, add Conky, and so forth, but I pretty much leave it alone.

As an aside, when I was heavily into Ubu testing, I made major changes to the theme once or twice a week. I was never happy with it, in the long-run, but I digress.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 09:30:47 pm »
I suppose it'd be a bit obvious if I said I quite like the default theme :))

Seriously though, sure I get not everyone likes dark themes, or red/white/dark grey, but NO theme will please everyone so default themes are just a starting point in ANY distro .. so considering a default must be chosen but in the certain knowledge not everyone will like it no matter what, we may as well build one with a 'Peppermint identity', and I reckon red/white/dark grey is 'Peppermint' enough that it serves that identity at first glance without need for explanation of which distro you're looking at .. it makes us easily identifiable out of the box .. call it 'branding' if you like.

In addition, the white(ish)/red window borders both fit with our branding and make the active window easily identifiable (even when inactive window transparency is disabled) without having to say change the titlebar colour (which I personally think can look a mess) or titlebar text shading (which I think takes more effort to notice). The different coloured minimise/maximise/close buttons were chosen to both fit with the 'candy' look and feel and because again they stand out. Again, sure not everyone will like them but no matter which were chosen as the defaults someone wouldn't like them, so all we can do is make them easily changeable.

Like the defaults or hate them, at least some thought went into them, they weren't just thrown in without consideration ;)
(and at least nobody accuses us of 'boring' theming :)) .. I'd MUCH rather it were a 'love/hate' thing than 'boring')
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:49:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 01:50:57 am »
You can't please everyone Mark I understand. There are plenty of other themes, but they or always missing something or shrinking the icons and the LCD clock like Adwaita dark. I installed the Pepp 9 theme the red one, but get an error so I installed Arc theme wich is in Synaptic and tweaked it to remove the dotted lines.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:28:05 pm »
Yeah Johan, when upstream moved to Gtk 3.22 it broke a LOT of earlier themes :(
(not much we can do about that I'm afraid)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:30:05 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 03:34:18 am »
It's okay Mark. I'm very happy with Arc dark ;)