Choose style:

Author Topic: Ubuntu Devs Detail Plan for 32-bit Support in Ubuntu 19.10  (Read 284 times)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Ubuntu Devs Detail Plan for 32-bit Support in Ubuntu 19.10
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 05:49:39 am »
Ubuntu have been consistently saying for years 32bit ISO downloads have been tanking.

Their usage stats, granted for 18.04 where only Xubuntu and Lubuntu released 32bit ISO's, state 98% of users are on AMD64
https://ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics

Now I do have to admit that OUR download figures seem to suggest 32bit downloads aren't that far behind 64bit, I'm assuming that's because people often come to Peppermint SPECIFICALLY for older hardware.
(So this enforced dropping of 32bit ain't gonna do us any favours, but it is what it is)

The only other conclusion is Ubuntu (and other distros) have been lying about their stats.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

A lot of computers these days and in the past have a 64bit processor, but because the original OS that was on them was 32bit people literally thought that, that was all their computer could handle? Ram does play a part too though does it not?
Sorry to sound so posh on
Code: [Select]
Does It Not?

I always thought that if you had 4GB or more of ram, then you could run 64Bit easier, than on anything less than, like those weird 3GB Ram Dell computers running 32Bit only, but they have a AMD 64Bit processor or an Intel one. I had one and it originally only had 3GB of Ram, the bloke in the shop I bought it from had upgraded it to 4GB and said that 64Bit Windows 7 would not install when it only had 3GB of Ram so he upgraded it to 4GB and the processor loved 64Bit Linux, especially Peppermint 9 Respin. It's weird that loads of computers out there in the wilds are 32Bit only, but have a 64Bit processor and with a slight upgrade of Ram can be made into 64Bit. But I guess for the majority if not all of your everyday run of the mill person does not know or want to know such things?  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Ubuntu Devs Detail Plan for 32-bit Support in Ubuntu 19.10
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 11:28:26 am »
4GB system memory was a hard limit for 32bit addressability, so anything above 4GB was wasted .. but Physical Address Extension (PAE) allowed for addressing more than 4GB if the 32bit kernel was built to support it, allowing for 36bit addressability (up to 64GB memory).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Most Linux distros have over the last few years supported PAE (on their 32bit versions) out of the box .. Peppermint has since at least version 6
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:30:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec