Choose style:

Author Topic: Amazon 'Adware' Laden Ubuntu Passes ICO's Data Smell Test by Gavin Clarke  (Read 1499 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Yes, why are there no amazon results in command line search utilities ? .. indeed there's a bug report on this being 'broken' in "grep" here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/command-not-found/+bug/1055766
 :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Good one!   ;)

Although, I'm a member of a rare breed around here, I actually liked Unity DE before 12.10.  12.04 LTS was much cleaner, and much less junk-ridden* than 14.04.

I haven't seen too many people who like Ubuntu's Shopping Lens.  In fact, I haven't heard of anyone who likes it.  Do you think Ubuntu will continue down this path?  Or might Canonical wake up and begin to listen to its users again -- and rid itself of this Amazon and shopping lens nonsense?*  As if we really need Ubuntu's help in order to find something to buy on Amazon -- please!  This is such a turnoff to Ubuntu.

At the very least, Unity's Shopping Lens should be an opt-in instead of an opt-out experience, but, from what I can see, Ubuntu would be better served to rid itself of this Amazon/Shopping Lens bloatware altogether.  The people hate it.  And even if it passes ICO's data smell test, it certainly doesn't pass my smell test as an end user. 

*These are my, perknh's, opinions and observations here, and mine alone -- nothing more, and these opinions of mine do not reflect Peppermint OS's stand on anything at all.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:23:50 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum