Choose style:

Author Topic: People's dislike for Ubuntu  (Read 334 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
People's dislike for Ubuntu
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:15:08 am »
I recently saw a video by Chris Titus with a number of reasons why he dislikes Ubuntu:

Some of his points:
  • The way Canonical tried to monetize Ubuntu: Sending search data to Amazon.
  • Making some of their software proprietary.
  • Their attempt to copy the Google Play Store (abandoned in 2014).
  • Making the server side of Snaps closed source.
  • Vanilla Ubuntu is bloated

At the moment MX Linux is number one on Distrowatch. I wondered what Ubuntu brings to the table that cannot be found in Debian.

From time to time I see posts by new users on Reddit. They seem to have some issues with stability. Or they just enjoy complaining?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/86o9u1/vent_ubuntu_sucks_the_reason_ubuntu_will_never_be/

I have been using Ubuntu and its derivatives for a while and never had any issues. On the other hand, for me personally there is nothing essential in Ubuntu. I don't need any ppas. While ICE on Peppermint is nice, I'm not really using it either.

So, why are so many popular distributions based on Ubuntu and not directly on Debian?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: People's dislike for Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:01:25 am »
His points (as you mentioned) were IMHO basically all clickbait drivel.

Why do most distros base on Ubuntu .. because of the polish they apply to base Debian, and because they're very supportive of downstream projects by things like hosting PPA's (which provides a trusted build system, hosting for our Peppermint specific packages, and a system for giving them priority over the default Ubuntu packages). Then there's availability of documentation/help/tutorials/etc. which will apply directly .. why wouldn't a new distro take advantage of these benefits whilst at the same time attempting to leave out the bits of Ubuntu they disagree with ?

There's a reason Ubuntu users probably outnumber all other distros put together (including Ubuntu derivatives) .. but this also makes them the obvious target for clickbait hangers on who want to warp the truth for their own pockets/agendas.

Trust me, I don't agree with all decisions by Canonical/Ubuntu (you can easily search for times I've been pretty vocal about decisions I've disagreed with), but on the whole and on balance I respect them (MASSIVELY) for what they've done for Linux, which is a LOT, and have little time for leech click-baiters. For example, I wasn't a fan of Unity, the move from upstart to systemd, their planned obsolescence of 32bit libs as a whole (a position from which luckily they've backpeddled), and lately some of their ridiculous policies surrounding snaps (such as the inability to refuse updates), Luckily (SO FAR) mainly things we've been able to opt out of using if we so chose.

Oh, and (like YT) Reddit is Reddit .. you can find anything on there to support any position you like to take at any given moment :))
(but I guess the one positive is least there's on monetisation motive on Reddit)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:04:21 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 11:39:00 am »
He softened his remark about Ubuntu being the devil. I don't agree that Ubuntu is the devil because otherwise why would so many people be using it?
To Peppermint or not to Peppermint.

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 12:14:51 pm »
He is a self admitted click baiter, it is what grows his channel.  Too each is own but personally I can't stand clickbait, especially if it doesn't deliver.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:24:42 pm »
CBDS (click bait derangement syndrome)

What do you call ppl that will do anything for money?

You usually see them late at night, on street corners, wearing skimpy clothes...  ::)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »
Oh, and (like YT) Reddit is Reddit .. you can find anything on there to support any position you like to take at any given moment :))
(but I guess the one positive is least there's on monetisation motive on Reddit)

Like this: https://is.gd/C0DpJD  :))

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 03:00:24 pm »
Everything that Peppermint is, is Ubuntu based and never have I had it gripe at me. Okay so my 5.0 Kernel does not like Ryzen for some odd reason? That's not the fault of Ubuntu or Peppermint or any other OS running that Kernel. The problem with straight Ubuntu OS is the fact one I can't get on with it, two rather have something else that feels more superior and easier to use. Three wrong decision from moving from Gnome 2 based desktop to Unity, but as a whole security wise and the sheer speediness of getting things patched when vulnerabilities hit Linux is amazing, you can always count on Ubuntu where security is concerned.  Take how quick, though it should not of been down to Ubuntu or any other OS to fix, but how quick was the meltdown and Spectre patches in the Kernel out? When it comes to derivatives of Ubuntu they are more personal to the writer of that particular OS. I could name hundreds of them, but I will just name Peppermint, because it stands out more so to people as being easy to use, easy to manage, everything there for you including little touches that Mark has added and has stood the test of time, simply because whatever we do on it as users it never gripes. I was playing the newish Resident Evil 2 remake through my Pep-Ten Gaming side of my computer and yes I know I can do that through any OS through SteamPlay Proton, but to see it on the Pep was absolutely mind blowing, it never faltered once and that is why I'm on Peppermint, because it is so stable and never crashes just keeps going. Ubuntu OS for me crashes an awful lot. So derivatives are in my book a good thing, especially when not only you have a great OS but a fantastic support and a friendly community, that will bend over backwards to help.  ;)
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 03:10:35 pm »
What people really need to do is ask themselves which of CT, or Ubuntu (and its contributors), they think have done more for the advancement of Linux and the community ?
(despite the odd decision along the way we may have disagreed with)

I think we all know the answer to that ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:37:38 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Master

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 03:55:13 am »

Like this: https://is.gd/C0DpJD  :))

How did you get the terminal to look like that, where the prompt is a line bellow the username@pcname? and that linker on the side linking both lines?

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 10:44:05 am »
How did you get the terminal to look like that, where the prompt is a line bellow the username@pcname? and that linker on the side linking both lines?

I use ZSH and "Oh My ZSH!" for the shell framework in Peppermint - not BASH.

GitHub:  https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh

The "Oh My ZSH!" theme I use is called Bira.

Website: https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/wiki/Themes

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 10:58:26 am »
I've used quite a few different Linux Distros and they all work well on my old desktops.

From the system resource hungry mainstream flagships to the small footprint lightweight Linux Distros.

The only differences I found were resource usage and user interface and one Linux Distro wasn't any better than another Linux Distro.

I can find something wrong with every Linux Distro I've tried or I've used or I'm using now.

Certain Linux Distros work better with certain computers and their hardware and the trick is to match the Linux Distro to the computer and hardware it is going to be installed on and used on.

I install and use OOTB and add very little extras and very rarely have any problems.

If for some reason Ubuntu was to disappear (I doubt that will happen)  I'd migrate to Debian.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:53:07 pm »
What people really need to do is ask themselves which of CT, or Ubuntu (and its contributors), they think have done more for the advancement of Linux and the community ?
(despite the odd decision along the way we may have disagreed with)

I think we all know the answer to that ;)

Feeling a need for a little variety in life, and recognizing a few imperfections within Ubuntu for what they are, Ubuntu is still my favorite alternative distribution.   I do have to accept a few stutters when playing YouTube in Firefox within Ubuntu, and I don't feel right using Ubuntu without first Peppermintizing Firefox, or Chromium-based browsers, without first swapping out Canonical's DDG for Peppermint's.  But, overall, I find Ubuntu to be an attractive and secure distribution that generally has its users' best interests in mind.  No question about it, though, Ubuntu GNOME is heavier on system resources than Peppermint, and its forum is NOT always as friendly, user-friendly, helpful, or as forgiving as this forum here.  Still, Ubuntu is a pretty darn good distribution, and without its existence my wife and I wouldn't ever have discovered Peppermint.  Without Ubuntu we would have to have gone years without having had a viable alternative to Windows! :o

I have to give Ubuntu a lot of credit for helping to bring Linux, and an awareness of open source software, to the people. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:55:14 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum