Choose style:

Author Topic: [Solved] Peppermint 9 vs Peppermint 10  (Read 757 times)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: [Solved] Peppermint 9 vs Peppermint 10
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2019, 08:19:12 pm »
I find Media Player/XPlayer fine for my DVDs, but I have got 32GB of DDR3 Ram, Quad Core AMD A10 5800K processor on a 2008 ASUS F2A85-V PRO motherboard, plus a Samsung DVD Drive, as my Home Theater Machine, this motherboard has seen a lot of Linux OSES over the years and for streaming this motherboard is superior.

Now I know that there are people out there who with their DVD drives just push the tray in with their hands, I've seen them do it and it appalls me to think that they cannot be bothered to push the button, that they originally pushed to open the tray up with to insert their DVD/CD onto the tray in the first place, oh no they push the tray in with their hands and then after a year or two of continuously doing so, they come to realize that it's time for a new DVD Drive, because none of their DVDs are reading properly anymore. My brother does it, my ex girlfriend done it, my wife to be does it too. It drives me bananas, though I don't let her touch my precious (Say it like Golam Go On I Dare Ya?) computer, because it'll end up like her drive on her computer. It ain't just a gentle tap either to help it on it's way, oh no there be hate in them there eyes as she looks over at me and all I can hear is the loud rubbing as the tray's cogs go kerchunk. (No other word for it, really.) Poor DVD Drive Tray  :(

"What did it ever do to deserve this?" I whined it out in a hurt whimper, the first and last time I asked my Wife to be this question.
I swear Paddington Bear was suddenly staring back at me, the fear of Uh Oh, when Paddington got angry you knew about it and in the stories it never happened that often, but when he got upset we all knew, what was coming? The famous Paddington Bear stare.
Although I could not help it and never said it, but in the back of mind and on the tip of my tongue was to say

Code: [Select]
"All you need is the hat and coat, you'll look just like him."

But suffering enough from the stare and the two subconsciouscheese (Yep New Word more than one it means In my world anyway.)
fighting on my shoulders, Ying and Yang I decided to go with the good side and remained quiet.  Ever so happy my wife to be and me, myself and I that I now make sure I'm not in the same room as when she wants to watch a DVD or look at her photo collection on CD through her computer.
we have to redecorate soon because the walls have become so scared, whenever she's pushing in her DVD tray.  ;D 

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:22:35 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 10:11:15 am »
I find Media Player/XPlayer fine for my DVDs, but I have got 32GB of DDR3 Ram, Quad Core AMD A10 5800K processor on a 2008 ASUS F2A85-V PRO motherboard, plus a Samsung DVD Drive, as my Home Theater Machine, this motherboard has seen a lot of Linux OSES over the years and for streaming this motherboard is superior.
Hello clatterfordslim,

I haven't had a brand new computer since the desktop I built in 2006 for Windows Vista and Microsoft Flight Simulator X and in it's day was awesome and I'm still using it for Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Most of my computers these days are others discard Windows computers or curb finds which I upgrade from free spare parts I have around or parts purchased from Ebay dirt cheap.

Can't complain though as I don't need much I only web browse and stream Youtube videos and do some Office documents and pull a few pictures from my cell phone and I like to tinker with old computers etc.

Now I know that there are people out there who with their DVD drives just push the tray in with their hands, I've seen them do it and it appalls me to think that they cannot be bothered to push the button, that they originally pushed to open the tray up with to insert their DVD/CD onto the tray in the first place, oh no they push the tray in with their hands and then after a year or two of continuously doing so,
Not all DVD / CD drives have an available push butten to close them because the drive is actually behind the desktops plastic front escutcheon.
Once the drive tray is opened the button is covered by the folded down drive door on the front cover plastic escutcheon so the only way to close the tray is to tap on it.

Ever so happy my wife to be and me, myself and I that I now make sure I'm not in the same room as when she wants to watch a DVD or look at her photo collection on CD through her computer.
we have to redecorate soon because the walls have become so scared, whenever she's pushing in her DVD tray.  ;D
I've been married to the same woman for 47 years and one thing I learned very early on about marriage is I ain't gonna win period.  :P

Whatever she breaks on her laptop I just fix or buy a new one because it's easier then listening to the nagging and believe me about this women (especially wives) know how to nag.  :P

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:23:55 am by 151tom »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 11:10:14 am »
I've been married to the same woman for 47 years and one thing I learned very early on about marriage is I ain't gonna win period.  :P

Bwahahahahaha :))

They say, "If women ruled the world, there would be serious negotiations every 28 days."

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2019, 12:39:25 pm »

They say, "If women ruled the world, there would be serious negotiations every 28 days."

They rule the households.  :P

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2019, 01:46:17 pm »

They rule the households.  :P

I've learned to keep quiet or pretend I can't hear her properly or just zone out anyway, whilst trying to get on with whatever I'm doing. She loves to moan on about her day at work, mostly about what the man said, the woman said, the cow shed and the horse went nay OK Wilber. Mr Ed springs to mind. Or that's what I hear anyway. People would say I'm ignorant, but why do women walk out of the room in mid conversation? All I hear is her voice fading away in the distance and then she never returns, or it goes all quiet for a couple of hours, then I realize she's gone out. Probably said see ya later during the fade out part of the last conversation, but I never heard her. It's at times like these I wonder am I going GA GA? We have been together twelve glorious years, so we are already married without being married if you like?

Would not have my life any other way, though I'm saving up for a 1940's themed marriage I keep buying computer parts and own eight computers in total, soon to be twelve. I have a fetish for computer building at the moment and that if you like is my bit on the side. I don't drink anymore, I vape which only costs me eleven pounds a month, I work a sixty hour week, get paid monthly pay my way in society and waiting on a cheque from the tax man, because they can't seem to get what I'm meant to be paying right in the first place. Life at the moment is pretty good and coming to this forum takes me away from real life for a while and if I can I'll try to help someone here. I just love my Linux. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 01:55:50 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2019, 02:11:58 pm »
151tom
Not all DVD / CD drives have an available push butten to close them because the drive is actually behind the desktops plastic front escutcheon.
Once the drive tray is opened the button is covered by the folded down drive door on the front cover plastic escutcheon so the only way to close the tray is to tap on it.

Yeah but on new builds, without the plastic bit on the front. I used to have a Dell PC with a nice Samsung DVD/CD Drive and it had plastic shielding you slid the hatch up to access it, but unfortunately the motherboard burnt out, saved the DVD drive and put it in my other gaming Ryzen build. My other halves computer has a ASUS DVD drive and she keeps pushing the tray instead of pushing the button. People moan that things don't last, if you mistreat things or use them the wrong way, they will eventually break. I'm not looking forward to the day when her DVD drive won't read DVDs anymore.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:21:04 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2019, 03:14:49 pm »
I've learned to keep quiet or pretend I can't hear her properly or just zone out anyway, whilst trying to get on with whatever I'm doing.
Usually the best plan imo.  ;D

She loves to moan on about her day at work, mostly about what the man said, the woman said, the cow shed and the horse went nay OK Wilber. Mr Ed springs to mind. Or that's what I hear anyway.
That's normal and just wants to get the day at work off of her chest.

People would say I'm ignorant, but why do women walk out of the room in mid conversation?
That my friend is a question I'm sure has an answer however best just left unanswered imo.  :P

We have been together twelve glorious years, so we are already married without being married if you like?

Would not have my life any other way,
Hey that's cool everyone should have someone to share their life with.

I already mentioned I've been married to the same woman for 47 years and yes we have had our ups and downs but we have a good life together.  :)

I keep buying computer parts and own eight computers in total, soon to be twelve. I have a fetish for computer building at the moment and that if you like is my bit on the side.
Nothing wrong with that if they fit in the household budget and you just don't build them and then set them on the shelf.

I've probably got 25 computers in my shop curb finds and what people have given me and some are high end home builds and others are oem computers.

Most work although some need to be recapped which ain't no big deal since I know how to use a soldering iron without burning the traces off of the board.

Since I have zero money in any of them they're great parts computers and I can keep the family in computers if needed.

OK I to like to tinker with computers as long as I don't have to pour a lot of money into them so free is good.

I don't drink anymore, I vape which only costs me eleven pounds a month, I work a sixty hour week, get paid monthly

The wife and I drink  although we don't believe we're alcoholics.  ::) :P :D

The wife and I smoke marijuana occasionally and we have medical marijuana licenses and buy what we smoke from local marijuana dispensaries where we live.  :)

The wife and I are both retired and get retirement checks and social security checks every month and the house and cars are paid for and all of our kids are grown up and have their own kids so life in our old age isn't to bad except for the health issues we deal with due to old age.

Damn I'm boring   :P  so I'll shut up for now.  :D

Take care my friend.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:52:21 pm by 151tom »

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2019, 07:25:57 pm »
The wife and I drink  although we don't believe we're alcoholics.  ::) :P :D

The wife and I smoke marijuana occasionally and we have medical marijuana licenses and buy what we smoke from local marijuana dispensaries where we live.  :)

The wife and I are both retired and get retirement checks and social security checks every month and the house and cars are paid for and all of our kids are grown up and have their own kids so life in our old age isn't to bad except for the health issues we deal with due to old age.

Damn I'm boring   :P  so I'll shut up for now.  :D

Take care my friend.  ;)

Last Edit: Today at 15:52:21 by 151tom

I work as a carer support worker, for a agency and do night shift work four nights a week, then five days off, then three days on, then four days on, five days off, then etc that's my shift pattern and the fantastic thing is I only live ten minutes away. I used to smoke the old marry a Iguana, but that led to heavily smoking normal cigarettes, well mostly roll ups I was on nearly one hundred a day and that put an end to my walking long distances clogged arteries and congested chest, full of mucus. So glad the Americans brought vaping to England as my lungs are so clear now and among all the rumors of putting poisonous chemicals into your body, if you pick the right vape and make sure you like it and have just 12mg of nicotine like I have and I use a great company for my vapes called Hangsen, I tried all the different flavors from other vape companies and they were disgusting.

Lemonade, Blueberry, Fish and Chips, Marzipan, Cola, Dandelion and Burdock. I tried one which was just tobacco flavor, no odour to it, as they can smell sickly like car air fresheners. This one had no smell and I loved the taste it's called USA Mix. The only problem was everyone got hooked on vaping and the Government could not make any money out of it tax wise, so they banned 20ml bottles in Brussels and the rest of Europe had to follow. So I buy directly from Hangsen and get 17 10ml USA Mix bottles for around 11.99 plus free postage. These last me for just over a month.   My lungs are so clear now I can run without getting out of breathe. If anyone is a smoker and they suffer from asthma I say give vaping a go, for as long as you don't have the battery vape hit strength too high, you'll be fine.

Lovely to know we get all walks of life on this forum, 151tom you're never boring, or need to shut up. Absolute pleasure to belong to a Forum and meet such lovely people. I'm working as I type, but because all my chores are done, apart from folding some washing up after the tumble dryer has finished, that's me done. This job is great as I don't have management on my back telling me what to do. All I have to be while awake here is alert for anyone sleep walking and guiding them back to bed again, plus also make sure they are still alive.  ;D I wish you all the best too and if you can, I'm Live Streaming tomorrow evening Saturday 28th at 16:00hrs British Time on YouTube. It's a game called Resident Evil 2 Remake which is actually a Windows game, will be playing it through Steam here in Linux.  Also discuss Linux and other weird stuff too. Just put my name into Google and my YouTube channel, although called Slim as people were finding Clatterford a mouthful. I do tutorials and play games, plus hoping to get some stuff done with the band I'm in too. Bye fer now