Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint user Wannabe!  (Read 120 times)

Offline CloverPatch

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Peppermint user Wannabe!
« on: August 27, 2019, 04:36:21 pm »
Hello Everyone! I'm a 72 year-old grandmother who uses my desktop PC a lot. It currently has Microsoft Windows 7 installed but I keep reading that I need to upgrade  to Windows 10. Having heard about Linux I am really interested but I need something really AUTOMATIC and easy to download and it seems I need to know more than how to click install wizards with Peppermint. Also, I have an old Quickbooks installed for my husband's small farming business. Some have told me Linux is not compatible with QB. I am not computer savvy with all the language and technology involved with installing something hard. I've read that peppermint would be a great lightweight to install on an older computer and I love peppermint (grow it in my garden)  ;D so is there any way I can make the switch from Microsoft to Linux Peppermint without losing all my pictures and documents from Microsoft?! I fear I can't make the switch all by myself. Thanks very much for any advice.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint user Wannabe!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:55:45 pm »
Pictures, music, and videos will likely all work in Linux.

Microsoft Office documents .doc .docx .xls .xlsx, etc. will all likely work in something like LibreOffice unless they used some of the more obscure functionality in Microsoft Office.

Quickbooks will NOT work natively in Linux .. there are older versions of QB (2010 IIRC) that can be made to work in WINE (think of WINE as a kind of emulator), but it's not straight forward.

Do you have an external hard drive that you can use to copy off anything you need to keep (pics/docs/etc.) ?

Do you have a second PC (from which you can post on this forum should things go wrong and you need help) ?

Do you know the version of QuickBooks you have ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:00:28 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline CloverPatch

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:14:35 pm »
Thank you very much for the reply!

I don't know what an external hard drive is so I probably don't have one.
We have QuickBooks Pro 2014
We only have one desktop PC using Windows 7 Home Edition

I use our computer for email, research, ordering online, book keeping, writing documents, storing photographs, and managing 2 websites.

I asked at Best Buy Geeks if they had anyone who could help me install Linux and they said they only do Microsoft.

with me being so computer tech illiterate I think I will have to hire someone who knows how to safely and properly install Linux.

What a great forum this is as I looked around.  :)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:17:55 am »
The only reason that you might lose your pictures is if you do a complete install which will delete your Windows stuff completely.  If you have space on your hard-drive I would advise installing Peppermint alongside of Windows.  This will let you dual boot - which means that you will get the option which one you want to load when you turn your computer on.  I have this and find that I use Windows less and less, but it's there as a back-up should I need it.

If you do dual boot into Peppermint then you will be able to see your windows files from within Peppermint, so you will not lose anything.

Another option, if you are feeling adventurous is to look at on-line storage for your files.  Dropbox and Mega spring to mind as two platforms that Peppermint support quite well, although space might be an issue if you have lots and lots of files to copy there.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:19:35 am »
According to the WINE AppDB (a database of how well certain applications run under WINE) you may have problems with that version of Quickbooks running in Linux under WINE.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=120

If that application is a must, you may be better off either upgrading to Windows 10
or
Running Windows in a virtual machine under Linux

Personally I'd say if Quickbooks Pro 2014 is a MUST HAVE application you'd probably be better off sticking with Windows.
(not something I say with any pleasure, but where you're tied into proprietary file formats sometimes you're kinda stuck with Windows)

I do know (from personal experience) Quickbooks 2004 works well in WINE, but that version MAY not be able to read files from the later 2014 PRO version.

The only listed Quickbooks PRO version (2013) is listed as 'Garbage', so at a guess I'd say there's very little chance your version will work I'm afraid :(

If you have a Quickbooks PRO 2014 database file that's not too 'personal/private' (or you can make one with some fake random data) I'd be happy to test whether it can be imported into Quickbooks 2004 if you'd like .. to test its compatibility with the older but known working version .. your call.

If you want me to do this, please DO NOT post the database file here (unless you're happy for ANYONE to potentially be able to open it) .. instead just let me know and I'll PM you my email address so we can keep the test private.

BTW, it MAY still be possible for you to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free if you'd prefer to go that route.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:22:03 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 10:53:51 am »
Hi CloverPatch, The problem with not upgrading to Windows 10 is that Windows 7 will not be maintained any longer, so no new security updates. That makes you more vulnerable to undesired external forces. Your computer will still function until something in it goes bad, like a hard drive or memory card. As kloos suggested, you could install Peppermint alongside Windows and only use Windows for your QB file keeping. Hopefully, you can find someone willing to do that. I know I would, but I doubt I'm close bye. Most of us retired people enjoy doing things for others just to have something to do. Good luck.
What was I thinking?