Choose style:

Author Topic: Lenovo V145 15AST  (Read 299 times)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 6<9-32 Ntbk and P6<9-64 Laptop
Lenovo V145 15AST
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:28:50 am »
I have been using Peppermint since version 6 and absolutely love it to the extent that I think it should be offered as an alternative on ALL laptops!! If only!!  However, after many successful installations on different PCs, laptops and netbooks arrogance has tripped me up.  My old faithful and very heavy Dell laptop finally gave up after being dropped when moving.

So, onwards and upwards, I decided to treat myself to a new, reasonably light, Lenovo with 8 GB of memory, a decent processor, 250GB SSD and of course the dreaded W10 installed.  It has arrived and after entering the BIOS and changing the settings to boot off a USB, I was in test mode for P9 in no time at all.  Unfortunately, that is when my troubles started.  No wifi, no LAN and no mousepad.  Ok, wireless USB mouse works fine and programs seem to work but not the essentials.  Now I don't know what to do, I can't send the computer back as there is nothing wrong with it on W10. 

Internet research so far suggests a long time-consuming process of trial, test and elimination, some of which is beyond me.  I am reluctant to try and install P9 in case I well and truly screw things up and end up with a non-functional new laptop.  Unless of course you guys know different and 'the fix' is easier than I think.  I have my trusty Acer One 15-year-old 32-bit, 1.5GB memory and 60GB hard drive netbook to hand to take instructions off but I really would like to be able to get P9 or maybe P10 installed on the Lenovo.  In hindsight, I  now realise I should have done more research into choice of laptop before I leaped in and purchased.  It may well be that the best option is to bite the bullet, sell what I've bought, and buy another laptop as I don't think I can come to terms with W10 even if most of the world has.

Any suggestions please, BFN Carlos

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:31:51 am by Toshmarple »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Lenovo V145 15AST
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 03:02:25 pm »
It looks like the 5.0 series kernel will fix (at least) the touchpad .. and there is a fix for wireless.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=297105
and Peppermint 10 will automagically update to the 5.0 kernel series once you run full updates.

Problem is, with no networking you're not going to be able to get the updates.

Shortly I'll be releasing an updated Peppermint 10 ISO that already contains the 5.0 kernel series, so if I were you I'd just wait for a short while until I get the new ISO finished.

In the meantime, can you check if wireless/LAN/Touchpad work properly from an Xubuntu 18.04.3 LiveUSB ?
(as 18.04.3 should have the same kernel as the upcoming Peppermint 10 ISO refresh will have)

You can get Xubuntu 18.04.3 to test here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/18.04.3/release/xubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 04:13:29 am »
Thank you PCNetSpec,

I will have a go using my Aspire one to download and create the bootable USB ( I am assuming using a 32 bit netbook presents no problems ). - Toshmarple

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 05:34:52 am »
Ok PCNetSpec, I have tried Xubuntu and it sort of runs but it keeps freezing.  However, the touchpad does work but LAN and WiFi do not, unfortunately.  I will have another go later.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 08:57:56 am »
That's kinda a good sign at least ..the wifi is probably fixable (specially if you have a USB wireless adapter we can use temporarily).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 09:03:40 am »
Well PCNetSpec, a surprise, to me at least, I can get P9 32 bit (as running on Aspire One) working with LAN and touchpad but not WiFi, and smoothly at that, unlike P9 & P10 64.  Don't know whether any of that is useful. 

Can I try the WiFi fix on P9 32 without installing or should I just wait for now?  Going to repeat the same exercise again tomorrow to check if I was just lucky as P9 64 keeps losing its menu.

BFN Toshmarple

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 09:26:03 am »
It certainly IS good news because that suggests the issue is caused by more recent kernels .. we can upgrade Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 keeping the Peppermint 9 kernel :)

and Wifi should be fixable.

Do you want to try fixing the wireless in Peppermint 9 first .. we can then decide whether to upgrade to Peppermint 10 but without the newer kernel ?

[EDIT]

Actually it's probably be best to check if Peppermint 9 64bit works first .. feel like giving that a shot ?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:28:05 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 01:27:07 pm »
Let me run some more tests tomorrow in order to ensure my story is correct, the more so as I was trying P9 32 not 64 and I don't know the implications of the differences.

Thanks so much for your time sorting this problem out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:48:18 pm by Toshmarple »

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 02:42:09 am »
.I have run P9-32, P9-64 & Xubuntu again PCNetSpec and only P9-32 really works as a usable OS, albeit with LAN & cordless mouse (no touchpad or WiFi).  P9-64 & XUbuntu simply don't load properly at all.  P9-64 was installed on my old Dell from the same USB stick as originally written so it is unlikely to be corrupted so I guess there must be some differences (besides the obvious) in content or version of drivers etc.

Incidentally, the BIOS always reverts the boot order to W10 first regardless of any changes I make so every time I want to boot from a USB stick I have to go into BIOS and change the boot order.

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 05:10:38 am »
Downloaded and created P10-32 & P10-64 USB Sticks after carefully checking for corruption to ensure clean creation. 

Good news and bad confirming previous P9 tests.  Namely: P10-32 runs perfectly except for WiFi and touchpad so using LAN and cordless mouse everything is ok.  However, P10-64 simply does not run at all, even the Menu disappears shortly after startup so with no LAN and no Menu I could do nothing more than shutdown using the Power Button.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 11:33:21 am »
Downloaded and created P10-32 & P10-64 USB Sticks after carefully checking for corruption to ensure clean creation. 

Good news and bad confirming previous P9 tests.  Namely: P10-32 runs perfectly except for WiFi and touchpad so using LAN and cordless mouse everything is ok.  However, P10-64 simply does not run at all, even the Menu disappears shortly after startup so with no LAN and no Menu I could do nothing more than shutdown using the Power Button.

I'm curious, in P10-64, does the bottom panel show? If it does, can you create a new menu launcher? If it doesn't show, try reducing the resolution by right clicking on the desktop, selecting "Launch Peppermint Settings Panel", click on Hardware and Display. I may be way off on this but I'm just thinking out loud, or in print.
What was I thinking?

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 02:44:43 am »
You should know Alynur that I am only testing P10-64 from a live USB stick as at this stage I do not want to install.

Bfn Tosh