Choose style:

Author Topic: Live USB fails to boot in a weird way  (Read 200 times)

Offline Guillopepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Live USB fails to boot in a weird way
« on: August 27, 2019, 01:40:27 pm »
Hello!

I am trying to install Peppermint 10 on a friend's computer which is currently hosting Ubuntu 14.04. When I choose either try the live version or install, it will start loading, but at some point the screen will change and load Ubuntu anyway. Also, it is not my friend's session - when I want to shut the computer down, it says it is a live version. I filmed a shitty video which will let you see what I see and all the information I have on the topic.

https://imgur.com/a/1dYPXJK

I had never had a usb fail in such an unusual way. Everything works just fine on my own computer, so it clearly means that the problem lies within my friend's computer. After retrying many times and having a look at the bios, though, I have basically no idea what is going on. Does anybody have any idea what might be happening?

I will provide details about the computer if required.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I tried to install a different distro, lxle eclectica 16.04, and I got this error screen: https://imgur.com/a/qOCXRGU
Edit 2: Ubuntu 18.04 seems to boot just fine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:17:56 pm by PCNetSpec, Reason: added video »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Live USB fails to boot in a weird way
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:05:11 pm »
Hi Guillopepper, and welcome to the forum :)

Is this going to be a dual boot setup (keeping 14.04 too) ?

If not, why not try using the Ubuntu 18.04 LiveUSB to completely erase the HDD (create a new partition table) .. THEN boot the Peppermint LiveUSB and install Peppermint.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:08:13 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Guillopepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 08:19:20 am »
Hello! Thanks for the reply. I intend to install Peppermint 10 on my own computer soon, so I will be reading you more often :D

I want Peppermint to be the only OS. I thought about your suggestion, but I first wanted to find out what was going on because A) I wanteed to make sure I wasn't missing something super obvious and B) to learn from the experience. In the end it was super annoying, so I basically did what you said and now everything works fine.

Thank you again for your support :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 11:15:15 am »
Glad it's all working for you now :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec