Choose style:

Author Topic: Laptop recommendations  (Read 319 times)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
Laptop recommendations
« on: August 19, 2019, 07:17:52 am »
The screen on my Toshiba Portege is slowly breaking and I fear it is time to jump into the murky world of second hand laptops again.  I had 8gb Ram and Intel i5 so don't want to step down from that as it was quite zippy and coped with spreadsheets and games quite well.  Not bothered about hard drives as everything I do is on the cloud.  It must have HDMI so I can connect the TV.  And I want to keep the price down!

So.... I wondered what your recommendations might be for maximum compatibility with P10. 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Laptop recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:50:19 pm »
Dell Latitude 'E' Series
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 06:32:51 pm »
Exactly  :)

I live or die by my Intel Core i7 Dell E6430 'refurb'.

I triple-boot this 'E-series' Dell with winders 10 (stable) & winders 10 (skip ahead); and use it equally for both pleasure and business purposes.

All three OSs fly like the wind.

I bought this lappy for $200ish and added a couple of hundred dollars worth of upgrades; high-end wifi card, SSD, slice battery, et cetera. Working on them is a breeze; and parts are available for pennies on the wholesale dollar on eBay.

Really, I'm totally happy with it (15 sec boot). It's not wanting for anything, and I don't plan to replace it anytime soon (if ever).

Happy hunting.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:14:12 am »
Or if new, and you're feeling flush .. maybe a Thinkpad X1 Carbon or Dell XPS
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:04:24 am »
As PCNetSpec says if you're feeling flush, or there is this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-2-60GHz-Windows-Professional-Renewed/dp/B01C6WNH3Q/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Thinkpad+X1+Carbon&qid=1566312528&s=computers&sr=1-7

Yes OK it's rather old, but with 8GB of ram a 256GB SSD and no doubt it's only 256GB hard drive because of all the partitions Windows 10 has on it? Don't quote me on that though. If you install Peppermint on it, you'll be back to near on 240GB, where as with Windows on it, you'll have 120GB left.  ;D Plus you could upgrade the SSD to 500GB, as SSD's have come way down in price.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:09:16 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline jintymac

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 04:59:59 pm »
I would also highly recommend a Lenovo laptop.

My main machine is a 2017 5th Gen X1 Carbon which flies with Peppermint 10. I also have an older X220 which is the i5 model with 8gb of ram and a 240gb ssd. Even although it's 7 years old, it is very fast and has the bonus of being able to cheaply replace the terrible screen with an IPS display. It only has a 12.5" screen though, so you might want to get a model with a larger display.

A couple of friends asked me to organise a cheap laptop for them and I went for a mix of T430s and T420 models. With an ssd and 8gb of ram, these are also brilliant. The good thing about the older machines I mentioned, is that they are so easy to upgrade. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined replacing a laptop screen myself or having a laptop that you could swap hard drives etc.

You can only upgrade the ssd in the X1 carbon, so if you want one of those make sure it has enough ram for your needs. Mine has 16gb of ram and a 512gb ssd. I paid just under 800 for it. I think that model was nearly 2000 when new which is nuts! 2 years makes a real difference. The battery also lasts between 8 and 9 hours with normal use.

I hope this rambling explanation has been of some help  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 05:45:57 pm »
IMHO so far I still reckon the best balance of price : performance : build quality : expandability : ease of upgrade accessibility/maintenance : availability of spares/upgrades I've come across so far comes in the form of a Dell Latitude E6530 .. at least from MY perspective.

There's a reason nearly every business/enterprise used them .. and so many are still available :)
(Dell consumer grade laptops suck, but their business class machines are VERY good .. at least the D and E series were)

And for MY money the best of them is the E6530 i7 quad core, 16GB, 1600x900 screen, with nvidia graphics.
(I prefer the 15.6" screen of the E6530 to the 14" screen on VinDSL's E6430, but that's a preference thing and beyond that they're the same machine .. I guess the 14" would be more 'mobile' considering they're heavy, but failing eyesight just makes the 15.6" that tiny bit more comfortable for me)

Sure the nvidia is an Optimus setup, but that's now automatic in Peppermint 10 .. you can probably find more with FHD 1920x1080 screens and that would be my second choice (ie. DO NOT get the 1366x768 screen) but IMO 1080p on a 15.6" display is overkill and makes text too small .. you'll likely end up using a resolution of 1600x900 anyway so better if it's the panels native resolution in the first place. Other than that, the dual core i7's are nice too, as are the i5's .. really depends on whether you'll benefit from the extra cores/threads.
(oh, also if buying one make sure it has a backlit keyboard, once you've used one you'll wonder how you managed without .. most did when they were originally sold, but it may have been refurbed with a non-backlit KB to save a few pennies, so check .. if they're skimping on the screen resolution and KB I'll guarantee there are better ones out there for the same money)

BTW, these things are built like tanks, and have the armour/weight to prove it, so if portability (lightness) is more important than durability, maybe look elsewhere .. don't believe me when I suggest these things are bulletproof ? .. see this:-
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6452.msg65443.html#msg65443
Seriously, they could be used as battlefield body armour :)

Love my Dell 'E' series .. it's why I now have 6 of them, and consider them the best laptops I've ever owned.
(and Linux 'just works' on them because you could buy them from Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:23:25 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 08:18:43 pm »
(I prefer the 15.6" screen of the E6530 to the 14" screen on VinDSL's E6430, but that's a preference thing and beyond that they're the same machine .. I guess the 14" would be more 'mobile' considering they're heavy, but failing eyesight just makes the 15.6" that tiny bit more comfortable for me)

Right. It's a compromise, for sure.

I've got a 15.4" Toshiba Satellite, but you'll hardly ever see me mentioning it (or elsewhere) because I hardly ever use it. It's too big for my purposes.

I need to lug my lappy all over the country, in a shoulder bag; and mil-spec E-series Dells are built like tanks. I use it on airplane snack trays during flights, cramped banquet room tables, conference rooms with paperwork spread around it; and on my lap, when I get back to the hotel room.

And, then there's the 'ego thing'. Sitting in board meetings, surrounded by MacBook Airs, high-end HPs, and so forth; anything bigger than a 14" lappy doesn't cut it.  Ppl look at you like, "What's wrong with that guy?"

The Dell Latitude E6430 has street creds. It's probably what most of them are issued, back at the office.

And, yes, I need to play around with the resolution in apps. I'm typing this in Opera, and the res is set at 110%. In other apps, I need to adjust the res anywhere you 60%-130%, in order to save my eye-sight. It just goes with the turf.

On the RAM usage, 8GB is plenty on this E6430. Uptime is 1 day, and it's using .99 GB as I type. Of course, everyone's situation is different. 16GB is a bare minimum on my Dell OptiPlex 7010, which has bots running in the background. But, I digress  :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:22:35 pm »
(oh, also if buying one make sure it has a backlit keyboard, once you've used one you'll wonder how you managed without .. most did when they were originally sold, but it may have been refurbed with a non-backlit KB to save a few pennies, so check ..

Golden advice  :)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 07:34:27 am »
Thanks all, lots to think about. The Toshiba is hanging on in there at the moment, but I am armed with the knowledge I need when it finally gives up. 

For what it's worth, the Tosh Portgage is super light, fast enough and the battery lasts for over 6 hours on a single charge.  The screen isn't the best as getting the right angle to see it properly is always a problem, but if another one dropped in my lap, I certainly wouldn't push it away!