Choose style:

Author Topic: Dell XPS L502X - the next machine to be converted. ;-)  (Read 228 times)

Offline eruditorum

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Dell XPS L502X - the next machine to be converted. ;-)
« on: August 14, 2019, 04:36:21 pm »
The next machine has been blessed with Peppermint.  :D

Installation went off without a hitch - I really like the solution for installing nvidia drivers. I've merely adjusted the swap usage and added noatime to fstab to reduce io a little bit (though it hardly feels necessary).

Peppermint runs flawlessly, and the machine has never been more sprightly (it originally came with Windows 7). Thank you again for this amazing distro.

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: classiccee Kernel: 5.0.0-25-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Dell System XPS L502X serial: N/A
           Mobo: Dell model: 0YR8NN v: A00 serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: Dell v: A06 date: 07/20/2011
Battery    BAT0: charge: 45.9 Wh 100.0% condition: 45.9/57.7 Wh (80%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2410M (-MT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2900 MHz 1: 970 MHz 2: 901 MHz 3: 915 MHz 4: 1021 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 525M]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.4 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.06hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 NVIDIA GF108 High Def. Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-25-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp6s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (2.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9500420AS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 145G used: 7.1G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 1:42 Memory: 1764.1/3835.6MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:42:15 pm by eruditorum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Dell XPS L502X - the next machine to be converted. ;-)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 06:14:08 am »
Nice .. I keep 'nearly' buying a new XPS-15 (always liked premium class Dells, pretty much all I own now laptop wise) :)

I'm sure one of these days I'll actually visit the Dell site whilst the little 'Mr Sensible' guy that sits on my shoulder whispering "are you sure you need this" is on holiday and I'll end up pulling the XPS trigger :)

BTW, if you have any other 'optimus' laptops (both intel and nvidia gfx cards in same machine) you plan on installing Peppermint on, you might wanna wait a week or two .. we're about to release a respin of the Peppermint 10 ISO that will not only have the 5.0.0 series kernel pre-installed, but will automagically install the 430 nvidia driver out of the box (as opposed to 390) if you choose the 'install additional software and drivers' option during install.

Also applies to any non-optimus laptops with nvidia only .. but this sure does help in optimus setups, where it can be a b*tch to update the drivers from the PPA post install.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:23:08 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline eruditorum

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Dell XPS L502X - the next machine to be converted. ;-)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:04:18 am »
Nice .. I keep 'nearly' buying a new XPS-15 (always liked premium class Dells, pretty much all I own now laptop wise) :)

I'm sure one of these days I'll actually visit the Dell site whilst the little 'Mr Sensible' guy that sits on my shoulder whispering "are you sure you need this" is on holiday and I'll end up pulling the XPS trigger :)

BTW, if you have any other 'optimus' laptops (both intel and nvidia gfx cards in same machine) you plan on installing Peppermint on, you might wanna wait a week or two .. we're about to release a respin of the Peppermint 10 ISO that will not only have the 5.0.0 series kernel pre-installed, but will automagically install the 430 nvidia driver out of the box (as opposed to 390) if you choose the 'install additional software and drivers' option during install.

Also applies to any non-optimus laptops with nvidia only .. but this sure does help in optimus setups, where it can be a b*tch to update the drivers from the PPA post install.

Thanks PCNetSpec! :)

Yeah - it's really quite a good machine, though very long in the tooth these days (but now snappy as all heck thanks to peppermint :) ). I think I'll be going for an XPS again at some point... though not anytime soon, else my wallet devour me whole. I'm continually surprised by its longevity.

Thank you for the tip! I'll wait for the respin before I put it on my gaming machine - it also has one of those optimus things. I'll be glad to test the respin on the XPS if you'd like - I've not set it up fully yet. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:09:33 am by eruditorum »