Choose style:

Author Topic: TIP: Update Manager - How to not display the System Up To Date icon in the panel  (Read 814 times)

Offline DaveVM

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Folks,

I prefer to not see the Update Manager icon in the panel if my system is up to date. And not having seen an option in Pep 10 to not display the icon when up to date, (maybe I missed it along the way) I figured a way to not have it displayed. Here's what I did.

I created a small transparent png file, by doing a seach online for 'blank png' and found a couple of different png generators, used www(dot)1x1px(dot)me and changed the opacity to zero, and saved the resulting png file.

I created an Icons folder in my Home directory for it like;

Home/.icons/Icons

and copied the transparent png there. This way I know they are icons I choose to use, you could name the directory MyIcons, or whatever you prefer.

Next I went into the Update Manager, selected the 'Edit' tab, then 'Preferences', then the 'Icons' tab, which will show you the icons that Update Manager uses for it's various states.

I selected 'Open' next to 'System up-to-date', and went to where I had saved the transparent icon and selected it and chose 'Apply'.

And once I chose 'Apply' the Up To Date icon for Update Manager went away. Also the space the icon was using in the panel was freed as well. Now the only time Update Manager displays icons in the panel is for it's other various states. So nice.

Hope I haven't repeated someone elses work and just thought I'ld share.

Take Care and Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:41:05 pm by DaveVM »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Me, for the tiny amount of saved system tray space I'd rather have visual confirmation update manager is loaded and running.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:38:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DaveVM

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
@PCNetSpec

Understood. This just gives a user the option to not see it, like some other distros.

Take Care & Enjoy!

Offline JosephM

• Developer
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
I don't have Peppermint in front of me at the moment but on Mint there is a preference to only show the the tray icon when there are updates or errors. Don't remember what version of mintupdate Peppermint is using but I thought this preference had been there for quite a long time.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
I don't have Peppermint in front of me at the moment but on Mint there is a preference to only show the the tray icon when there are updates or errors. Don't remember what version of mintupdate Peppermint is using but I thought this preference had been there for quite a long time.

It's not in Peppermint, as PCNetSpec said rather know that update manager is working and running properly. I don't mind it in the panel personally, as it never gets in the way, it's nice to know it's there and sometimes if not all the time it suddenly appears with updates when needed and I don't notice them till after maybe I have finished doing whatever I'm doing, mostly before closing down for the night. Peppermint's update manager may look like Mints, but there are differences. You don't get the question to change mirrors or activate the backup utility, like you do in Mint.

I think that Peppermints version is faster too? Though don't quote me on that, because Linux Mint has come along an awful lot over the years, especially version 19.2 though the only gripe I have with it and it's quite trivial is the pulse audio icon in the panel is now really small, they changed it apparently as people were moaning it was too big.

I love the size of the Pulse Audio icon here in Peppermint as it's true to the rest of the icons, no matter what size you have your panel.  I tried altering it in Linux Mint 19.2 with a GTK3 script popped in .config folder in hidden folders in Thunar, XFCE version then GTK3.0 folder, but that made it look weird, not the size the whole icon had become mosaic and just did not look right. That is the only gripe I have with Linux Mint. Everything else about that OS is perfect and to this day it's one of the most downloaded and installed Ubuntu based desktop, don't care about Distrowatches list that is only what people have been looking at on their site the most times downloaded from that site. In the real world I reckon Peppermint would come second, away from Distrowatch if there were statistics in the real world of the most downloaded Ubuntu based system. Blimey this has turned into a book sorry about that.   ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Also...

I'm on a lappy, right now; and I always hide the panel on portables, so that's another option.

One doesn't need to see any of the icons, unless they mouse-over the panel.   ;)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Also...

I'm on a lappy, right now; and I always hide the panel on portables, so that's another option.

One doesn't need to see any of the icons, unless they mouse-over the panel.   ;)

Yeah and you could setup the update icon onto a separate panel and have it set to hide. I forgot about hiding panels. Silly me  ;D

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

Yeah and you could setup the update icon onto a separate panel and have it set to hide. I forgot about hiding panels. Silly me  ;D

Panels are nice, but they're a nuisance and waste of space on portables, especially on 10"-14" displays. So, I either 'always' or 'intelligently' hide them, depending on the screen size.

Anyway, one can kill multiple 'birds' using one stone, by hiding the panel. It's a great feature for saving precious real estate, if nothing else.

Sent from my Android One Moto X4 using Tapatalk

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
you could setup the update icon onto a separate panel and have it set to hide.

But what would be the point?

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
you could setup the update icon onto a separate panel and have it set to hide.

But what would be the point?

Well the original post was about hiding the update icon, though it never bothers me and the original post had included that Linux Mints update manager had a hide option, so it only shows up when there are updates or critical errors. So just mentioning some possibilities, as in Peppermint we don't have those options. Which I must stress I'm happy with.  ;D

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
OK, but a hidden panel isn't going to magically pop up when the icon says there are updates.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Wouldn't an easier option be to just switch from mintupdate back to update-manager .. that'll only throw a dialog when updates are ready forgoing a system tray icon entirely.
(IMHO bloody annoying though)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Wouldn't an easier option be to just switch from mintupdate back to update-manager .. that'll only throw a dialog when updates are ready forgoing a system tray icon entirely.
(IMHO bloody annoying though)

Another way around it is set it up not to appear at start up and only activate it when you feel there might be an update. Update manager or Mint update that we have, does it's job to let the user know that there are updates to be installed and there have of late been quite a lot of updates, Firefox, Kernel updates, Ruby and a whole host of others that I can't remember. Dave found his own way of hiding the update icon. I personally and many others have no problem with it being there, just trying to think of alternative ways, that Dave could of done to hide the icon.

Nearly everyday this week and for the last month or so there have been loads of updates coming down, so obviously something was found that was potentially harmful, but then again every Linux operating system gets about the same amount of updates, whether you're running a server, or just a home Linux computer. urgency on a lot of the updates were set to medium. We are lucky that there are people out there who look after us all with updates though. Plus the plus side is we the user decide when we install them.

I prefer to install them as soon as my eyes see there is updates to install, gets it out of the way, but then I have my other computers to update too. The bottom line being we all need to keep our computers up to date, no matter what Operating System you're using and I include Proprietary systems too. Linux maybe safer to use, but we can still get viruses, malware etc. It's all about being safe on the Internet as I read in another post the Internet it's a jungle out there.  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Nearly everyday this week and for the last month or so there have been loads of updates coming down, so obviously something was found that was potentially harmful.....

That was more than likely (mainly) a push to update packages for 18.04.3, and some post release bug fixes.

Though there were also some security fixes too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:40:33 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec